Macquarie Essentials Information Evening
Welcome to the Macquarie community. Everything we do is designed to provide our students with an environment where they can learn, grow and succeed.
We know that embarking on university study is an exciting time for new students and their families. To help with the transition to university, we have designed the opportunity for you to hear from University executives and learn about the key programs and support services available.
A panel of staff and current students will also talk about what life and study is like at Macquarie, so come prepared with your questions!
- Date: Monday 23 July
- Time: 6pm – 8.30pm
- Location: Macquarie Theatre, 21 Wally's Walk (21WW Macquarie)
NOTE: Places for this event are limited so please register your attendance on June 13 to avoid missing out.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
We have many parents coming to campus during O Week with their students however, many of our welcomes and events are designed to be as interactive as possible, to help students meet each other during their first week. This means, we will ask parents to leave their students at the events while they enjoy a coffee, explore one of our galleries or museums, or perhaps head over to Macquarie Centre.
Below, you'll find some answers to FAQs that we get from parents but if you have any questions or concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What can I attend during Orientation with my student? You can join in on some of the tours - we have organised a Campus tour starting at 5pm (right before Macquarie Essentials) that you book into - but most of our tours are for new students so rather giving basic information, they focus on the best study spots, key learning environments, how to use the equipment, etc.
- I'm in Australia helping my student settle in. Can I come to the great social activities too? While we would love to accommodate families at these events, places are strictly limited to students only. There are some wonderful travel companies that will be on campus on Friday 27 and Monday 30 July at the O Week stalls, or you can try the providers at Macquarie Centre.
- I can't make the Macquarie Essentials information evening. Is there a way to stream or record this session? Most of our events and sessions at O Week are recorded and made available shortly after O Week. Check this website for more information over the coming weeks.
- Is it essential or compulsory for my student to attend Orientation? Yes, we do recommend that most students try to attend their faculty welcome at a minimum for Orientation as this event will provide essential information that will help throughout their first session at Macquarie. Orientation is not compulsory as we understand our students have busy lives and we pride ourselves on fostering a flexible learning environment so most of our sessions will be recorded and made available to your students online after O Week.
- What are some key dates that I should know about? The university's important academic dates are available here, and you should also make note of when fees are due so you can check with your student if they have completed all necessary steps (whether deferring or making an upfront payment). You should also plan to check in with them about the census date - the last day to withdraw from the university without academic or financial penalty - which is usually 4 weeks after the start of session.
- Why can't I get information from the university about my child's studies? This is a very common question from many parents, in particular those who might be wanting to check that their international/exchange student is attending class and adjusting to Australia. We regard all of our students as adults and as such, they have a right to privacy, so unless they explicitly give permission for you to act as a proxy on their behalf, we cannot disclose any personal information about their enrolment or progression. If you are worried about your student, you can contact Campus Wellbeing and enquire about a welfare check.