Semester Exchange - Beijing Language & Culture University (BLCU)
Beijing Language and Culture University (BLCU) is a leading liberal arts university home to the world’s most comprehensive Chinese language and cultural courses for international students. Known as the "Mini-United Nations", BLCU has trained over 150,000 international students from 180 countries and regions since its founding in 1962.
- BLCU will be a perfect university for you if you want to learn Chinese language and culture.
- Chinese nationals are not eligible to apply for semester exchange at BLCU.
- All new students (except for beginners-level students) are required to take a Chinese language placement test upon arrival at BLCU. This test is to place you into the right level of Chinese classes.
- BLCU offers a limited selection of business and finance units, however all those units are taught in both Chinese and English. You will need to have at least an intermediate level of Chinese to take those units. The class schedule may also be conflicting with your Chinese units. If you wish to take Business units, please consult with staff at the Business Faculty upon arrival at BLCU.
Type of Program
Level of Study
Length of Program
Autumn Semester: September - January
Language of Instruction
GPA Requirement (Out of 4.0)
Exchange Student Website
To be eligible for this program, you must:
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher (varies each program),
- Must not be a Chinese National.
- Completion of at least 12cp at the time of application. 18cp to go abroad,
- Enough credit points remaining to complete the program,
- Comply with the eligibility criteria outlined in the Student Exchange Policy.
How to Apply
Applicants must complete an online Application form. You'll need to include:
Your personal details, One University preference, It should take around 2 - 3 minutes to complete an application.
Application Fee and Payment Options: For all exchange programs (semester and short term), there is a compulsory application fee. For more information and payment options please refer to the Payment Website.
Insurance: It is a requirement of the exchange program that all students must purchase their own travel insurance to cover them for the duration of their entire journey overseas. More information will be given to students upon acceptance.
Program Costs: You remain enrolled at Macquarie University and continue to pay your tuition fees to Macquarie University. As an exchange student you pay no tuition fees to host university. However, you must also always be prepared for unexpected expenses, and should consider how you will be dealing with the expenses of your exchange before you leave your home country. Prior to departure, you will need to save sufficient funds to cover all of your expenses for the duration of your exchange. Some costs to consider include: airfares, students visa (if required), travel health insurance, accommodation, food, additional travel, entertainment, textbooks, incidental expense. If you wish to work while you are away, it is important to note that work rights for international students vary from country to country. For further information about your visa restrictions please contact the consulate or embassy of your host country.
*Disclaimer: Macquarie University does not ensure the quality or reputation of activities run externally, should students choose to undertake these activities they take on the full risk and responsibility. All students need to undertake their own risk assessment before departure, considering wisely their personal health and safety risks. Ultimately participation in these activities is at the students’ risk.
No logo uploaded
BLCU is the only university of its kind in China that offers Chinese language and culture courses to foreign students.
Area of study
Business; Education; Engineering and IT; Environment; Health and medical sciences; Law, security and intelligence; Media, creative arts, and communication; Science; Society, history and languages
No eligibility entered
Macquarie, Undergraduate, Chinese Language, Chinese Culture, Exchange, Beijing, China
No phone entered
Closing dates URL
No closing dates URL entered
Level of study