Transfer and release Information

Transfer and release Information

International students who hold a student visa and have not completed six calendar months in their principal course must apply for release from the University if they want to transfer to another registered provider.

For students undertaking a package of courses, the principal course is the final course in the package. They must apply for release if they wish to transfer to another provider while they are studying the pre-requisite courses.

A release is not required if you have completed more than six months of your final course at Macquarie University, however, if you wish to withdraw from your studies and have studied for over six months please complete the Student Withdrawal form.

For further information on this requirement from the Australian Government please visit the Department of Home Affairs.

Eligibility for Release

The grant of a release letter is subject to the University being satisfied that you have a genuine case eligible for release. You must be able to demonstrate to the University that you meet one or more of the conditions underlined in the University’s Transfer and Release for International Students Policy.

How to apply for Release

To apply for release please follow the steps below:

  1. Complete an online Ask MQ request for International Student - Withdrawal and Release Request.

If you have not commenced your course (or do not have e-Student login account), you will need to complete and submit the paper based form provided by your Admissions Officer (as you will not be able to access the online form).

  1. Provide the following supporting documentation:
    • a copy of the unconditional offer letter from the new CRICOS registered provider,
    • a written statement outlining the reasons you wish to transfer, and/or
    • any other documentation supporting your application.
  2. If you are under 18, please also provide the following documentation:
    • written evidence that your parent or legal guardian supports the transfer, and
    • evidence that the new provider will accept responsibility for your welfare and accommodation arrangements (unless you are living with a parent or a suitable relative)

Once the complete application and all the relevant documentation are received, the University will assess the request for release in accordance with the Transfer and Release for International Students Policy, and notify you of the outcome within 10 working days.

If your application for a release is successful

  • you must withdraw from your units using eStudent
  • your Confirmation of Enrolment for student visa purposes will be cancelled, and the Department of Home Affairs will be informed
  • you should contact the nearest Department of Home Affairs to inform them of the change and seek advice on whether a new student visa is required. For more information on how the transfer and release affects your student visa, please visit the Department of Home Affairs.


If your application is unsuccessful, you are entitled to appeal the outcome within 20 working days. Please refer to the Transfer and Release for International Students Policy for further information.

Transfer to Macquarie University

If you wish to transfer to Macquarie University from another registered provider prior to the completion of six months of study in their course, it must be under one of the following conditions:

  1. The original registered provider has granted your release
  2. You are a government sponsored student and your sponsor provides written support for your transfer
  3. The original registered provider has had a sanction imposed on its registration by the Australian Government or state or territory government that prevents you from continuing in their course
  4. The original registered provider has ceased to be registered, or the course in which you are enrolled has ceased to be registered
Back to the top of this page