Domestic fee paying places

Domestic fee paying places

Financial support available

Australian citizens, Humanitarian visa holders and eligible New Zealand citizens (who meet the criteria for assistance) will also be eligible to defer their fees to a HELP loan with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

FEE-HELP: available to assist with the cost of your units of study.

SA-HELP : available to assist with the cost of the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

Please Note: If you are a Permanent Resident (non humanitarian) or New Zealand citizen (non eligible SCV holder), you are not eligible for any HELP loans for your studies and are required to make all payments 100% upfront to the University by the relevant session Payment Due Date.

Removal of upfront discount and repayment bonus from 2017

Recent changes to Government legislation from 1 January 2017 means the voluntary repayment bonus of 5% for students who make upfront payments of $500 or more for any HELP debt to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) will be removed.

For more information regarding this change, please see the Government’s StudyAssist website.

When will this take effect?

The upfront discounts will be removed from 1 January 2017 (ie for units of study with a census date on or after 1 January 2017).

If you are repaying your HELP debt back to the ATO,  please do so by 23 December 2016 to ensure the repayment bonus applies. ATO systems may not be available after this date.

How are my repayments for my HELP debt affected?

For information on making repayments to the ATO, and how the consumer price index relates to your payments please see Loan Repayment page on the StudyAssist website.


Voluntary repayment bonus

Currently, voluntary repayments of $500 or more receive a 5 per cent bonus. This means your account will be credited with an additional 5 per cent of the value of your repayment, not 5 per cent of your outstanding debt.  For example, if you make a voluntary repayment of $500, the bonus increases the value of your repayment so your account will be credited with $525.

In 2017 once the discount is removed, if you pay $500 your repayment will reduce by just $500.

If you wish to pay your fees upfront, please do so by the relevant session payment due date to avoid a $200 late payment fee. You will be able to view this on eStudent once you enrol in any unit.

Commonwealth Support for New Zealand citizens

From 1 January 2016 some New Zealand citizens will be eligible to access the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) which allows students to defer the cost of their tuition fees.

Who is eligible?

If you meet all the criteria below, you will be eligible to access HELP and the upfront discount (if relevant), you must:

  • Be a New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category Visa (SCV),
  • Have first entered Australia as a child under 18 years of age, and, at that time, you did not have a spouse or de facto partner,
  • Have first started to be generally living and resident in Australia at least 10 years before you apply,
  • Have been resident in Australia for 18 out of the last 24 months, and
  • Have been resident in Australia for 8 out of the last 10 years

Please note: if you are, or become, an Australian permanent resident you will not be eligible for this HELP assistance by the Government.

How do I know if I am a SCV New Zealand Visa holder?

If you are unsure whether you are a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder, you will be able to check this on the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system. You can also check with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

If necessary, you can also obtain copies of your international movement records from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship by lodging a Request for a International Movement Records form.

What do I need to do?

If you believe you meet all the SCV criteria, and you would like to request HELP assistance or access to the upfront discount, you will need to do the following:

Step 1

Provide proof of your SCV status. You can do this by sending your visa details including your Full Name, Date of Birth, Passport Number and Country of Passport to us by email at

Step 2

Provide proof that you resided in Australia for at least the last 8 years. Examples of proof include:

  • Your International Movement Records
  • Australian academic transcripts (including VET transcripts) dated when you were a minor
  • School reports or certificates
  • Enrolment papers from when you were a minor
  • Australian proof of age card from when you were a minor
  • Australian student ID card or concession card
  • Stamped passport
  • Payslips or payment summaries from when you were a minor
  • Certificate of application for a Tax File Number, Tax File Number advice or notification of assessment of income tax dated from when you were a minor.
Step 3

Request to complete a paper copy of the relevant HELP form. These are available at Student Connect, 18 Wally's Walk, Level 2  MUSE or by sending us an email at with your address and we can post the relevant form to you.

Please note: you must have an approved HELP form submitted to the University by the relevant census date to be eligible to defer your fees and/or receive the discount for a particular session. If you are unable to provide proof of your SCV status, and/or submit your approved HELP form in time to apply to defer your fees, you will be required to pay your fees upfront and in full to the University for that session.

Where can I get further information and assistance?

You can find out more or get some help by:

  • visiting Student Connect, 18 Wally's Walk, Level 2, MUSE
  • ask a question online
  • or call  us on +61 2 9850 6410.

You can also read more about this legislation change from the Department of Education website.

Who is eligible for FEE-HELP?

You are eligible for FEE-HELP if you:

  • have received an offer of a domestic tuition fee-paying place for your course of study;
  • enrol in the unit on or before the census date and remain enrolled at the end of the census date;
  • meet the citizenship or residency requirements which means you are either
    • an Australian citizen, for students who commenced their course of study prior to 1 January 2013; or
    • an Australian citizen who will undertake in Australia at least one unit of study contributing to their course of study, for students who commenced their course of study on or after 1 January 2013;
    • the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa who will be resident in Australia for duration of the unit; or
    • an eligible Special Category Visa (SCV)  New Zealand citizen
  • are not Commonwealth supported in relation to that unit;
  • submit your tax file number (TFN) to the higher education provider by the relevant census date;
  • have completed, signed and submitted a valid request for fee-help assistance (CAF) form;
  • a holder of a permanent resident (non humanitarian) visa and you are undertaking an approved bridging course. A bridging course is typically a course allowing a student who has overseas qualifications to update their skills.
  • have not exceeded the FEE-HELP limit.
  • you are not eligible for FEE-HELP if after January 2012 you have commenced a new course of study and are primarily undertaking that course of study at an overseas campus affiliated with Macquarie University.

FEE-HELP limit

You are not eligible for FEE-HELP if you have exceeded your FEE-HELP limit as set by the Commonwealth Government. The limit is based on the amount of FEE-HELP used from 2005. The threshold amounts for 2017 are:

  • $126,101  for medicine, dentistry and veterinary science students and
  • $100,879  for other students.

Once having exceeded these limits you must pay your fees upfront to the University by the relevant payment due date for each session of study.

It is your responsibility to monitor your FEE-HELP. You must advise the University before the relevant session census date if you believe you will exceed your limit. You can do this by sending an email to

Students who reach their limit will be required to pay any overdue amount directly upfront to the University.

How to check your FEE-HELP balance

You can find your total usage through the Government UniAssist pages. Please note it will not show your current session usage so please check your Commonwealth Assistance Notices for your latest usage.

You will also be able to view your FEE-HELP here if you have been a student previously. You will be able to use your CHESSN to access your FEE-HELP Balance on the Study Assist website (operated by Department of Education (DOE)).

What happens if you exceed your limit?

If you do exceed your limit, you will be required to pay the excess fees upfront to the University.  This may also mean that your account will be sanctioned and there will be restrictions placed on your enrolment and grades.

Paying Fees

Tuition fees are set by Macquarie University.

Each study period, once you’ve enrolled into unit(s), you can check your fees in eStudent, selecting the “My Finances” menu. Please Note: Invoices are not sent to students, all payment details are found in your eStudent.

As well as being able to view your statement of fees in eStudent, you can also email your Statement of Outstanding Charges to your official student email address by:

  • Log in to eStudent
  • Select > “My Finances” tab
  • Select > “Email my Statement of Outstanding Charges”.

Please arrange for full payment of your tuition fees and student services and amenities fee (if applicable) by the relevant payment due date.  Failure to make a payment to the University or lodge the appropriate HELP forms by the census date may result in cancellation of enrolment.

A $200 late payment fee will be incurred on all payments made after your payment due date.

For students enrolled in session based units the "Payment Due Date" is the Friday before the session begins. View a full list of census dates. The "Payment Due Date" is about 4 weeks before the census date for these sessions.

View a list of Due Dates and Census Dates for non-session based courses in 2016.

  1. Pay your fees upfront directly to the University by the due date using one of the methods detailed below.
  2. If you are an eligible student, defer your fees to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) through the Higher Education Loan Programme scheme (HELP). Eligible students are:
  • Australian Citizens, or
  • Permanent Humanitarian visa holders, or
  • New Zealand citizens who have been assessed as meeting the eligibility criteria

To be eligible to defer your fees you must complete the following by the relevant Census Date.

The SSAF you are required to pay may vary depending on your student status and study load. The SSAF is adjusted daily in your account. You will be liable for any changes that you make to your student status and study load at the census date.

Please Note: the SSAF does not trigger into your account until roughly 2 days after enrolment in units. Don’t forget to check your > My Finances account at this time to check how much SSAF you may owe.

All eligible students (except eligible New Zealand citizens) who wish to defer fees can complete the relevant online Commonwealth Assistance Forms (eCAFs) on eStudent.

  • New Zealand citizens will need to request a paper version of the form. Please refer to link below on how to do this.

For help on How do I complete an eCAF form or check your New Zealand eligibility, please refer to our How to complete an eCAF guide.

Note: If you have already submitted the relevant approved HELP eCAFs, this will cover your program of study as long as the program has not changed and you  have not taken an absence of a year or more. The fee charges will be transferred from your student account approximately two weeks after the census date.

How to pay

You can pay your fees directly to the University using one of the methods below. Please note that if you have recently made a payment, your account will be updated within 3 business days.

Use Visa, MasterCard via the University's new online payment facility in eStudent  >  My Finances. Computer facilities are available on campus.

Biller Code: 50443
Reference number: Your 17-digit reference number is printed on your Statement Of Outstanding Charges. Contact your participating bank to make a payment directly from your cheque, savings account or credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express).


UnionPay card is accepted at the Cashier's Office, 18 Wally's Walk, Level 2 and Western Union.

Use Visa, MasterCard or American Express by telephone on 1300 301 043 (for the cost of a local call within Australia). This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please have ready your 17-digit Reference Number (printed on your Statement Of Outstanding Charges), your credit card number and a pen ready to record your receipt and date paid.

Paying Course Fees from Outside of Australia (Western Union)


Make cheques or money orders payable to Macquarie University and mail to:

Revenue Services
18 Wally's Walk, Level 2
Macquarie University   NSW  2109

Please write your student ID on the reverse of your cheque/money order and allow sufficient time for mail delivery. The University accepts no responsibility for delays in the mail.

You may pay your student account at:

Cashiers Office: 18 Wally's Walk, Level 2,  Macquarie University,

Monday to Friday
Normal Hours:  9.00 am to 4.00 pm

Peak Time: 9.00 am to 5.00 pm

You may pay using EFTPOS, MasterCard, Visa, American Express, cheques, money order.

Calculation of the the cost of a unit in a tuition fee paying course

Macquarie University International College

If you are a domestic student and enrol in the Standard Foundation Program or Intensive Program you will be required to pay the following fee. FEE-HELP may be available to eligible students. Students are not required to pay the Students Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

Program2017 Course Fee
Standard Foundation Program$24,000
Intensive Program$16,000

Undergraduate Graduate Diplomas and Certificates

The indicative annual fee is calculated as the credit point value multiplied by the 2016 rate per credit point.

The fee information for Graduate Diplomas and Graduate Certificates on this page applies to students who commenced their course prior to 2015.

If you are commence a Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate from 2015 onwards and you are a domestic fee paying student, please refer to Postgraduate Coursework degree for fee information.

FacultyCourse CodeCourse NameCourse DurationCourse credit PointsPer credit point fee ($AUD)Estimated annual fee ($AUD)
ArtsGC-ARTGraduate Certificate of Arts0.512$534$6,408
ArtsGD-ARTGraduate Diploma of Arts124$534$12,816
Human SciencesGC-TCH8-12Graduate Certificate of Teaching (8 to 12 years)0.512$515$6,180
Human SciencesGD-PSYCHGraduate Diploma of Psychology1.533$773$17,006
Human SciencesGD-SPHCOMMGraduate Diploma of Speech and Communication124$579$13,896
Science and EngineeringGD-CHIROGraduate Diploma of Chiropractic Science124$729$17,496
Science and EngineeringGD-INFTECHGraduate Diploma of Information Technology124$833$19,992
Science and EngineeringGD-SCIGraduate Diploma of Science124$692$16,608

Non-Award tuition fees

If you are a domestic student and enrol in an undergraduate unit on a Non-Award basis in 2016 you will be charged a tuition fee according to the subject area of the unit.

If you are an international student then please contact the Centre for Open Education for Non-Award tuition fees.

How much does a Non-Award unit of study cost?

Step 1

Check the Course Handbook and take a note of:

  • The Unit Code
  • The Credit Point value of the unit
Step 2

Look up the Student Contribution Band for the unit you are interested in.

Step 3

The value of the majority of undergraduate units at Macquarie is 3 credit points. The cost of an undergraduate unit is shown below.

Student Contribution BandTotal cost per 3cp unit
Band 1$1,216
Band 2$1,731
Band 3$2,028


You are a Non-Award student in 2016 and would like to enrol in STAT170. You check the Course Handbook and note that this unit is offered by the Faculty of Science. The Unit Code Prefix (alphabetic characters at the beginning of the unit code) is STAT. The Student Contribution Band for this unit code prefix is Band 2.

The unit cost for STAT170 in 2016 is $1,731.

Recovery of FEE-HELP loans by the Australian Tax Office

A FEE-HELP loan is repaid through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). You must provide your Tax File Number to the University by the census date. Repayment will commence once your income is above the minimum threshold for compulsory payment. For 2017 the threshold is set at $54,869. There is a 25% loan fee for FEE-HELP loans for undergraduate courses of study only.

Please note that your HELP debt is subject to indexation (usually around 2-3%) on 1 June each year, based on the Consumer Price Index. Debts are not indexed until they are 11 months old.  For information on making repayments to the ATO, and how the consumer price index relates to your payments please see Loan Repayment page on the StudyAssist website.

Additional financial support

The Department of Human Services (formerly known as Centrelink) offers many financial support options to students such as Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY. More information can be found on their website.

Back to the top of this page