Domestic fee paying places

Domestic fee paying places

Financial support available

Australian citizens, Humanitarian visa holders and eligible New Zealand citizens (who meet the criteria for assistance) will also be eligible to defer their fees to a HELP loan with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

FEE-HELP: available to assist with the cost of your units of study.

SA-HELP : available to assist with the cost of the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

Please Note: If you are a Permanent Resident (non humanitarian) or New Zealand citizen (non eligible SCV holder), you are not eligible for any HELP loans for your studies and are required to make all payments 100% upfront to the University by the relevant session Payment Due Date.

Eligibility for New Zealand citizens

Who is eligible?

You may be eligible to access HELP if you meet the criteria below by the relevant census date:

  1. Are a New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category Visa (SCV).
  2. Began residing in Australia at least 10 years ago as a child under 18 years of age, and, at that time, you did not have a spouse or de facto partner; and
  3. You have been in Australia for at least:
  • a total of eight out of the past 10 years; and
  • a total of 18 months out of the last 2 years

Please note: if you are, or become, an Australian permanent resident you will not be eligible for this HELP assistance by the Government.

How do I know if I am a New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder?

If you are unsure if you are a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder, you will be able to check this on the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system, from the Department of Home Affairs.

You can also lodge a Request for your International Movement Records with the Department of Home Affairs, to check if you meet the above residency requirements (as advised in points 2 and 3). Remember requests can take between 14-28 days to be issued.

Please note: You must provide all the required documents and be assessed as eligible by the relevant census date, to be able to defer your fees for the particular session concerned. Otherwise, you will be required to make full payment of fees to the University for that session.

What do I need to do?

If you believe you meet all the SCV criteria, and you would like to request HELP assistance, you will need to do all of the following:

  1. Provide proof of your SCV status by sending a copy of your passport photo page by email to: Please include your Student ID Number.
  2. Provide proof that you meet the long-term residency in Australia requirements (as advised in points 2 and 3 above). Examples of proof include:
    • Your International Movement Records
    • Australian academic transcripts (including VET transcripts) dated when you were a minor
    • School reports or certificates
    • Enrolment papers from when you were a minor
    • Australian proof of age card from when you were a minor
    • Australian student ID card or concession card
    • Stamped passport
    • Payslips or payment summaries from when you were a minor
    • Certificate of application for a Tax File Number, Tax File Number advice or notification of assessment of income tax dated from when you were a minor.
  3. Complete the relevant HELP form on eStudent (if you have not done so already).
    • You will then be advised whether or not you meet the requirements for HELP Assistance, once the University has assessed your documents.

Where can I get further information and assistance?

You can find out more or get some help by visiting Student Connect at 18 Wally's Walk, Level 2 MUSE,  ask a question online or call  us on 02 9850 6410.

You can also find further information on this on the government’s StudyAssist website.

Who is eligible for FEE-HELP?

You are eligible for FEE-HELP if you:

  • have received an offer of a domestic tuition fee-paying place for your course of study;
  • enrol in the unit on or before the census date and remain enrolled at the end of the census date;
  • meet the citizenship or residency requirements which means you are either
    • an Australian citizen, for students who commenced their course of study prior to 1 January 2013; or
    • an Australian citizen who will undertake in Australia at least one unit of study contributing to their course of study, for students who commenced their course of study on or after 1 January 2013;
    • the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa who will be resident in Australia for duration of the unit; or
    • an eligible Special Category Visa (SCV)  New Zealand citizen
  • are not Commonwealth supported in relation to that unit;
  • submit your tax file number (TFN) to the higher education provider by the relevant census date;
  • have completed, signed and submitted a valid request for fee-help assistance (CAF) form;
  • a holder of a permanent resident (non humanitarian) visa and you are undertaking an approved bridging course. A bridging course is typically a course allowing a student who has overseas qualifications to update their skills.
  • have not exceeded the FEE-HELP limit.
  • you are not eligible for FEE-HELP if after January 2012 you have commenced a new course of study and are primarily undertaking that course of study at an overseas campus affiliated with Macquarie University.

FEE-HELP limit

You are not eligible for HELP assistance  if you have exceeded your HELP limit as set by the Commonwealth Government. The limit is based on the amount of FEE-HELP used from 2005 and any HECS-HELP used from 1 January 2020.

The threshold amounts for 2020 are:

  • $152,700 for medicine, dentistry and veterinary science students (as defined in the Higher Education Support Act 2003) and
  • $106,319 for all other students.

Once having exceeded these limits you must pay your fees upfront to the University by the relevant payment due date for each session of study.

It is your responsibility to monitor your HELP debt. You must advise the University before the relevant session census date if you believe you will exceed your limit. You can do this by sending an email to

Students who reach their limit will be required to pay any overdue amount directly upfront to the University.

How to check your HELP balance

You can find your total usage through the ATO website on your MyGov account or via the Government’s MyUniAssist website. Please note it will not show your current session usage so please check your Commonwealth Assistance Notices (CANs) for your latest usage.

You will need your CHESSN to access MyUniAssist. You can find this on your CANs or please email:

How to check your FEE-HELP balance

You can find your total usage through the Government’s MyUniAssist website. Please note it will not show your current session usage so please check your Commonwealth Assistance Notices (CANs) for your latest usage.

You will need your CHESSN to access MyUniAssist. You can find this on your CANs or please email:

What happens if you exceed your limit?

If you do exceed your limit, you will be required to pay the excess fees upfront to the University.  This may also mean that your account will be sanctioned and there will be restrictions placed on your enrolment and grades.

Paying Fees

Tuition fees are set by Macquarie University.

Each study period, once you’ve enrolled into unit(s), you can check your fees in eStudent, selecting the “My Finances” menu. Please Note: Invoices are not sent to students, all payment details are found in your eStudent.

As well as being able to view your statement of fees in eStudent, you can also email your Statement of Outstanding Charges to your official student email address by:

  • Log in to eStudent
  • Select > “My Finances” tab
  • Select > “Email my Statement of Outstanding Charges”.

Please arrange for full payment of your tuition fees and student services and amenities fee (if applicable) by the relevant payment due date.  Failure to make a payment to the University or lodge the appropriate HELP forms by the census date may result in cancellation of enrolment.

A $200 late payment fee will be incurred on all payments made after your payment due date.

Students enrolled in session based units, the "Payment Due Date" is the Friday before the session begins.

You can view a list of Payment Due Dates and Census dates however please refer to your eStudent account for the specific dates which apply to you.

  1. Pay your fees upfront directly to the University by the due date using one of the methods detailed below.
  2. If you are an eligible student, defer your fees to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) through the Higher Education Loan Programme scheme (HELP). Eligible students are:
  • Australian Citizens, or
  • Permanent Humanitarian visa holders, or
  • New Zealand citizens who have been assessed as meeting the above eligibility criteria

To be eligible to defer your fees you must complete the following by the relevant Census Date. 

  • Lodge a FEE-HELP application form (with tax file number) to defer your tuition fees only if you are in a Domestic Fee paying place, AND/OR
  • If you have an outstanding Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) you may also like to defer this to the ATO by completing a separate SA-HELP application.

The SSAF you are required to pay may vary depending on your student status and study load. The SSAF is adjusted daily in your account. You will be liable for any changes that you make to your student status and study load at the census date.

Please Note: the SSAF does not trigger into your account until roughly 2 days after enrolment in units. Don’t forget to check your > My Finances account at this time to check how much SSAF you may owe.

All eligible students who wish to defer fees can complete the relevant onlineCommonwealth Assistance Forms (eCAFs) on eStudent.

For help on How do I complete an eCAF form or check your New Zealand eligibility, please refer to our How to complete an eCAF guide.

Note: If you have already submitted the relevant approved HELP eCAFs, this will cover your program of study as long as the program has not changed and you have not taken an absence of a year or more. The fee charges will be transferred from your student account approximately two weeks after each census date.

How to pay

You can pay your fees directly to the University using one of the methods below. Please note that if you have recently made a payment, your account will be updated within 3 business days.

Use Visa, MasterCard via the University's new online payment facility in eStudent  >  My Finances. Computer facilities are available on campus.

Biller Code: 50443
Reference number: Your 17-digit reference number is printed on your Statement Of Outstanding Charges. Contact your participating bank to make a payment directly from your cheque, savings account or credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express).


UnionPay card is accepted at the Cashier's Office, 18 Wally's Walk, Level 2 and Western Union.

Use Visa, MasterCard or American Express by telephone on 1300 301 043 (for the cost of a local call within Australia). This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please have ready your 17-digit Reference Number (printed on your Statement Of Outstanding Charges), your credit card number and a pen ready to record your receipt and date paid.

Paying Course Fees from Outside of Australia (Western Union)


Make cheques or money orders payable to Macquarie University and mail to:

Revenue Services
18 Wally's Walk, Level 2
Macquarie University   NSW 2109

Please write your student ID on the reverse of your cheque/money order and allow sufficient time for mail delivery. The University accepts no responsibility for delays in the mail.

You may pay your student account at:

Cashiers Office: 18 Wally's Walk, Level 2, Macquarie University,

Monday to Friday Normal Hours:  9.00 am to 4.00 pm

Peak Time: 9.00 am to 5.00 pm

You may pay using EFTPOS, MasterCard, Visa, American Express, cheques, money order.

Recovery of FEE-HELP loans by the Australian Tax Office

A FEE-HELP loan is repaid through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). You must provide your Tax File Number to the University by the census date. Repayment will commence once your income is above the minimum threshold for compulsory payment. For 2019 the threshold is set at $51,957. There is a 25% loan fee for FEE-HELP loans for undergraduate courses of study only (this may be subject to legislative changes).

A HELP loan is repaid through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). You must provide your Tax File Number to the University by the census date to take out a HELP loan. Repayment will commence once your income is above the minimum threshold for compulsory payment. From 1 July 2019, the new minimum HELP repayment threshold will be $45,881 with a one per cent repayment rate. For information on the new repayment thresholds, please see Paying Back My Loan on the Study Assist website.

Additional financial support

The Department of Human Services (formerly known as Centrelink) offers many financial support options to students such as Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY. More information can be found on their website.

Income support for Masters degrees

In 2008, Youth Allowance and Austudy assistance was extended to eligible students undertaking masters by coursework study in approved courses.

The Macquarie University courses approved for full-time domestic students are:

  • Doctor of Medicine
  • Doctor of Physiotherapy
  • Juris Doctor
  • Master of Professional Accounting
  • Master of Professional Accounting and Leadership
  • Master of Actuarial Practice
  • Master of Biotechnology
  • Master of Biotechnology and Business
  • Master of Chiropractic
  • Master of Clinical Audiology
  • Master of Clinical Neuropsychology
  • Master of Clinical Psychology
  • Master of Organisational Psychology
  • Master of Planning
  • Master of Professional Psychology
  • Master of Public Health
  • Master of Radiopharmaceutical Science
  • Master of Speech and Language Pathology
  • Master of Teaching (Birth to Five Years)
  • Courses no longer eligible for this benefit are:

  • Master of Accounting
  • Master of Environmental Planning
  • Master of Geoscience
  • Master of Information Technology
  • Master of Special Education
  • Master of Surgery
  • Courses which are pending approval from 2021 are:

  • Master of Engineering in Electronics Engineering
  • Master of Engineering in Networking and Telecommunications Engineering
  • Master of Engineering in Environmental and Safety Engineering
  • Master of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering

The Department of Education conducts an annual application round to review/approve courses under this program usually in June/July. To be eligible, the Masters by coursework courses must be:

  • required for entry to a profession; or
  • the fastest pathway to professional entry; or
  • the only pathway provided by the higher education institution following a restructure of existing course delivery.

For information about their eligibility, Masters by coursework students should contact Department of Human Services (Centrelink) or look at this webpage.

Macquarie does not have any postgraduate Diploma or Certificate level courses approved for benefits.

If you would like to discuss this further please send an email to and include "PG courses for Centrelink- Governance Team" in the subject line.

Back to the top of this page