Gifted and talented entry program
What is it?
Our Gifted and Talented Entry Program allows a select group of high achieving students the opportunity to enrol at Macquarie while still at high school.
If you successfully complete your unit/s with the necessary GPA, we'll open the door to an early offer for a Macquarie University degree.
You'll get a head start on everyone else with completed units already under your belt.
Who you are
You're in Year 10 and you’re looking to complete accelerated HSC subjects or you’re currently demonstrating outstanding academic achievement in some other way
You have already completed an accelerated HSC subject and achieved a Band 6 or E4.
Eligibility for an early offer
You're eligible for an early offer if you meet the following criteria:
- you’ve completed an accelerated HSC subject with a Band 6 or E4 or; you’ve completed PHL137 Critical Thinking with distinction
- you’ve completed one university-approved unit with distinction
- you’ve completed year 12.
What courses are available
If you meet the above criteria you will be eligible to enrol in:
- Bachelor of Advanced Science *
- Bachelor of Ancient History
- Bachelor of Clinical Science #
- Bachelor of Marketing and Media
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Bachelor of Human Sciences and Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
* Students need to complete one approved unit from the Faculty of Science.
# Students need to complete one approved unit from the Faculty of Science and complete HSC Mathematics (receive a Band 4 or greater), or Mathematics Extension 1 (E2 or greater) or Mathematics Extension 2 and completion of HSC Chemistry.
How to apply
- Register your interest below and we'll send you all you need to apply.
- Please note that you will need to complete a full HSC program independent of the units offered through this program, as the units undertaken at the University will not form part of the HSC. Similarly, the results from units undertaken at the University won't be included in your ATAR, which is based purely on results from approved HSC courses. However, all successfully completed units will count towards a degree program with Macquarie University. You can enrol into units offered in Session 1 and 2 and 3.
Applications for 2020 open in September 2019.
Hear from our students
During Years 10 and 11 at high school, I took six undergraduate units through Macquarie's Gifted and Talented Entry Program. These units inspired me to learn more about subjects such as philosophy, astronomy and computer sciences. The skills I gained from studying these units also helped improve the quality of my regular school work.
The personal guidance I received from Macquarie staff was extremely helpful and made my adjustment from high school to university much smoother. While participation in the program requires you to work hard, the rewards are most certainly worth it, and I recommend the program for all ambitious students.
Ava Vahedi - Bachelor of Advanced Science
My Critical Thinking subject enabled me to develop strong arguments to a University standard, helping me at school, especially with essays. It was also great knowing these classes would count towards my degree at Macquarie. Receiving my early offer for university completely removed the pressure that came with the HSC and allowed me to perform much better in my exams. I would wholeheartedly recommend all budding students to apply for the Gifted and Talented Program.
Arti Ramesh - Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
The gifted and talented program at Macquarie University was very beneficial as it not only provided an ideal pathway into the university but allowed me to gain an insight on the workload to expect in the future. Throughout the course there was constant support and encouragement from the staff which provided assistance and guidance in how to approach study. I highly recommend the program for students aspiring to become part of Macquarie University in the future.
Jesse Brown - Bachelor of Clinical Science