Understanding your fees and costs

As a domestic undergraduate student studying at Macquarie Uni you will need to understand the cost of your degree and the fee payment process.

You are a domestic student if you are:

How you add up your fees

When working out the cost of your tuition, you will need to take into account:

  • course type and unit cost
  • offer type
  • student services and amenities fees, textbooks etc.

Government help and your contribution amount

It’s good to know what HECS-HELP and CSP mean. Here is some basic information you need to know.

Commonwealth supported place (CSP)

For all eligible undergraduate, diploma and some postgraduate courses, the Australian government funding contributes towards most of your program. These are called CSPs.

  • Domestic undergraduate students and domestic postgraduate students (only available for some postgraduate courses) who have met the residency and citizenship requirements.
  • Have received an offer of a CSP for their course of study.
  • Have enrolled in the unit on or before the census date and remain enrolled at the end of the census date.
  • The unit of study contributes to the requirements of a course of study in which the person is enrolled with the provider.
  • Have submitted a completed Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP form (eCAF Form).

CSP will not apply if you have competed the requirements of the course of study and has taken the additional units which are not part of the course of study.

Find out more about the Commonwealth supported places (CSPs) on the government website.

After government funding has been contributed to your degree, you’ll pay the remainder, known as your student contribution amount.

If you are eligible, this amount can be paid up-front at the beginning of each session or defer the payment with a HECS-HELP loan (if eligible) from the government.

Visit the Job-ready Graduates Higher Education Reform Package government site to find out how your CSP fee will be affected by the Job-ready Graduate package.

From 1 January 2020 a combined HELP limit for students was introduced for those using HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP. See more information about the combined HELP limit.

  • It is your responsibility to monitor your HELP debt. You must advise the University before the relevant session census date if you believe you will exceed your limit, by raising an AskMQ case with the subject line: ‘Attention eCAF Team’.
  • You can find your total usage through the ATO website on your MyGov account or via the Government’s MyHELPbalance website. Please note it will not show your current session usage so please check your Commonwealth Assistance Notices (CANs) for your latest usage.
  • You will need your CHESSN to access MyUniAssist. You can find this on your CANs or email AskMQ with the subject line: ‘Attention CommLoans Team’.

If you do exceed your limit, you will be required to pay the excess fees up front to the University. This may also mean that your account will be sanctioned and there will be restrictions placed on your enrolment and grades.

Ways to save on your tuition fees

Domestic and international students can save time and money if eligible for a scholarship or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). There is also financial help for domestic students and some support is available to international students.