Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
Professor Sakkie Pretorius is responsible for the development and strategic enhancement of Macquarie University's research and innovation profile.
The portfolio responsibility includes developing and implementing strategies for improving research quality, capacity and capability across the University while maximising research funding streams, collaborations and higher degree research enrolment and completions.
In addition to consulting with the University community on the creation of the Strategic Research Framework (2015–2024), the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) promotes the framework’s four research objectives and five research priorities.
The Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research) portfolio is a shared leadership position, held by Professor Lesley Hughes (Research Integrity and Development) and by Professor Peter Nelson (Research Performance and Innovation).
Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research Integrity and Development)
This portfolio contributes to strategic development and oversight to improve researcher development and research integrity across the University. The portfolio:
- oversees researcher development, in collaboration with faculties and offices, and leads policy and professional development programs for early-career researchers
- contributes to the implementation ofgender equity initiatives and programs
- manages, in collaboration with the Director, Research Ethics and Integrity, issues relating to research ethics and integrity, including investigations of research misconduct.
Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research Performance and Innovation)
This portfolio works to sustain and grow the University’s research profile through the development and implementation of strategies to build research innovation, capacity and capability and leverage commercialisation opportunities.
- leads the University’s Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) and the Australian Research Council (ARC) Engagement and Impact Assessment submissions
- oversees the University’s intellectual property and commercialisation activities through the Intellectual Property Commercialisation Advisory Committee (IPCAC)
- provides strategic direction and support for the Macquarie University Research Centres Scheme
- builds support for eResearch and digital scholarships through the implementation of the Data Science and eResearch Strategy.