Modelling Multidimensional Poverty for Bangladesh - Macquarie University Centre for the Health Economy
Project overviewIn an effort to capture other dimensions of poverty beyond income, this project models various factors related to health and education to determine the multidimensional poverty in Bangladesh.
Primary data was collected from 9 districts in Bangladesh for this project. Besides estimating the ill-beings of the respondents, the effectiveness of various utilities provided by government and NGOs are also examined.
- Pundarik Mukhopadhaya
- Tamgid Chowdhury
It has been observed that in remote rural Bangladesh government facilities (such as health centre, village doctors etc) and micro-credits are more effective than that provided by NGOs.
A stark difference of the dimensions is observed for urban Bangladesh compared to the rural regions. Gender variation of the dimensions is also observed.
- T. Chowdhury and P. Mukhopadhaya (forthcoming): “Are Women Less Efficient In Converting Microcredit Into Functionings? Evidence from Bangladesh”, European Journal of Development Review.
- T. Chowdhury and P. Mukhopadhaya (forthcoming): “Multidimensional Poverty Approach and Development of Poverty Indicators: Case of Bangladesh”, Journal of Contemporary South Asia
- T. Chowdhury and P. Mukhopadhaya (2012): “Limitations of the Theories of Non-profits and Benchmarking Services Delivery Dimensions of Poverty-reduction Programs in Rural Bangladesh”, Journal of Non-Profit and Public Sector Marketing.
- Chowdhury, T and P. Mukhopadhaya (2012) "Assessment of Multidimensional Poverty and Effectiveness of Microfinance-driven Government and NGO Projects in the Rural Bangladesh", Journal of Socio Economics, vol 41, Pp .500-512.
- Chowdhury, T and P. Mukhopadhaya (2011) "Poverty Alleviation and Service Delivery: Government and Non-Government Organizations in Rural Bangladesh", Oxford Development Studies, Vol. 39, No. 4, December 2011, 427-452.
- T. Chowdhury and P. Mukhopadhaya (2011): "Multidimensional Poverty and Efficiency of Government and NGOs in Rural Bangladesh", 4th Poverty and Social Protection Conference (organized by Tomorrow People Organization), Bangkok, Thailand, March 1-3, 2011
- T. Chowdhury and P. Mukhopadhaya (2010): "Gender Bias of Government Agencies and NGOs in the Provision of Services to the Rural Poor in Bangladesh", 12th International Conference of East Asian Economic Association, October 2-3, 2010; Seoul, South Korea (with T. Chowdhury)
- T. Chowdhury and P. Mukhopadhaya (2010): "Developing and validating a multi-dimensional scale to perform efficiency analysis of the service providers in poverty alleviation programs in Bangladesh", 80th Annual Conference of Southern Economic Association, November 20-22, 2010; Atlanta, Georgia, USA (with T. Chowdhury)