Dr Lei Si
Senior Research Fellow
|Dr Lei Si|
Senior Research Fellow
Phone: +612 9850 2930
Address: Suite 3-4, Level 1, EMC2 Building
3 Innovation Road, Macquarie Park 2109
Health economic evaluations
Equity in health
Dr Lei Si is a Research Fellow at the Centre for the Health Economy at Macquarie University (MUCHE) and an Adjunct Senior Research Fellow at the Menzies Institute for Medical Research of University of Tasmania. He has previously held a position at the University of Tasmania where he received his PhD working on health economics of osteoporosis in the Chinese population. He received his Bachelor in Medicine and Master of Management from Anhui Medical University in China and Master of Science in Health Economics from Heidelberg University in Germany.
Lei undertakes research in health economic evaluations in chronic diseases, e.g. osteoporosis, diabetes, obesity, etc. In addition, he works on equity analysis of health financing. He is extensively involved in the evaluation of submissions to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee (PBAC).
He has over 37 publications in peer reviewed journals and received several competitive research awards including the ESCEO-Eli Lilly Scholarship, the IOF Young Investigator Award, the Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad and so on.
He is currently CIA on a National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) project and CIC on a National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) project on health economics in osteoporosis. He is also a CI on a Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) and NSFC joint research project. In addition, he participates in other 3 NSFC projects as a chief investigator.
He has received a NHMRC Early Career Fellowship to develop a gold standard, validated, transparent health economics model of osteoporosis in the Australian setting to identify cost-effective screening and treatment strategies, and that will be made widely available to all stakeholders. He has co-supervised three PhD students with one completed in 2017.
- Palmer AJ, Si L, Tew M, Hua X, et al. Computer Modelling of Diabetes and Its Transparency: A Report on the Eighth Mount Hood Challenge. Value in Health
- Si L, Shi L, Chen M, Palmer AJ. Establishing benchmark EQ-5D-3L population health state utilities and identifying their correlates in Gansu Province, China. Quality of Life Research. 2017:1-10.
- Si, L., Chen, M., & Palmer, A. J. Has equity in government subsidy on healthcare improved in China? Evidence from the China’s National Health Services Survey. International Journal for Equity in Health, 2017, 16(1), 6.
- Si, L., Winzenberg, T. M., Chen, M., Jiang, Q., Neil, A., & Palmer, A. J. Screening for osteoporosis in Chinese post-menopausal women: a health economic modelling study. Osteoporosis International, 2016, 27(7), 2259-2269.
- Si L, Winzenberg TM, Chen M, Jiang Q, Palmer AJ. Residual lifetime and 10-year absolute risks of osteoporotic fractures in Chinese men and women. Current Medical Research & Opinion 2015. 31(6):1149-56.
- Si L, Winzenberg TM, Jiang Q, Chen M, Palmer AJ. Projection of Osteoporosis-Related Fractures and Costs in China: 2010-2050. Osteoporosis International, 2015. 26(7): 1929-37.
- Si L, Winzenberg TM, Jiang Q, Palmer AJ. Screening for and treatment of osteoporosis: construction and validation of a state-transition microsimulation cost-effectiveness model. Osteoporosis international, 2015. 26(5): 1477-89.
- Si L, Jiang QC. Challenges to the Chinese health insurance system: users' and service providers' perspectives. Chin Med J (Engl) 2015 Mar 5;128(5):571-3.
- Si, L., de Graaff B, Winzenberg, and A.J. Palmer, A systematic review and meta-analysis of utility-based quality of life for osteoporosis-related conditions. Osteoporosis International, 2014, 25(8): 1987-97.
- Si, L., T.M. Winzenberg, and A.J. Palmer, A systematic review of models used in cost-effectiveness analyses of preventing osteoporotic fractures. Osteoporosis International, 2014, 25(1): 51-60.
- Chen M, Qian D, Feng Z, Si L. Is outpatient care benefit distribution of government healthcare subsidies equitable in rural ethnic minority areas of China? Results from cross-sectional studies in 2010 and 2013 BMJ Open 2018;8:e019564. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-019564
- Wang Z, Li X, Chen M, Si L: Social health insurance, healthcare utilization, and costs in middle-aged and elderly community-dwelling adults in China. International Journal for Equity in Health 2018, 17(1):17.
- Chen M, Palmer AJ, Si L. Improving equity in health care financing in China during the progression towards Universal Health Coverage. BMC Health Services Research. 2017;17(1):852. doi: 10.1186/s12913-017-2798-7.
- Chen M, Palmer AJ, Si L. Assessing equity in benefit distribution of government health subsidy in 2012 across East China: benefit incidence analysis. International Journal for Equity in Health 2016. 15:15
- Chen M, Fang G, Wang L, Wang Z, Zhao Y, Si L. Who Benefits from Government Healthcare Subsidies? An Assessment of the Equity of Healthcare Benefits Distribution in China. PloS one. 2015 Mar 17;10(3):e0119840. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0119840.
- Chen M, Zhao Y, Si L. Who Pays for Health Care in China? The Case of Heilongjiang Province. PloS one. 2014;9(10):e108867.
- Wang L, Cocker F, Kilpatrick M, Otahal P, Si L, Palmer AJ, Sanderson K: The Associations of Multimorbidity With Health-Related Productivity Loss in a Large and Diverse Public Sector Setting: A Cross-Sectional Survey. Journal of occupational and environmental medicine 2017. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0000000000001243.
- Wang L, Si L, Cocker F, et al. A Systematic Review of Cost-of-Illness Studies of Multimorbidity. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy 2017 doi: 10.1007/s40258-017-0346-6
- de Graaff, B., Neil, A., Si, L., Yee, K. C., Sanderson, K., Gurrin, L., & Palmer, A. J. (2016). Cost-Effectiveness of Different Population Screening Strategies for Hereditary Haemochromatosis in Australia. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, 1-14.
- de Graaff, B., Si, L., Neil, A. L., Yee, K. C., Sanderson, K., Gurrin, L. C., & Palmer, A. J. (2016). Population Screening for Hereditary Haemochromatosis in Australia: Construction and Validation of a State-Transition Cost-Effectiveness Model. PharmacoEconomics - Open, 1-15.
- Hua, X., Lung, T. W.-C., Palmer, A., Si, L., Herman, W. H., & Clarke, P. (2016). How Consistent is the Relationship between Improved Glucose Control and Modelled Health Outcomes for People with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus? a Systematic Review. PharmacoEconomics, 1-11.
- Wang L, Wang A, FitzGerald G, Si L, Jiang Q, Ye D. Who benefited from the New Rural Cooperative Medical System in China? A case study on Anhui Province. BMC Health Services Research. 2016;16(1):1-8.
- McCaughey T, Sanfilippo Paul G, Gooden George EC, et al. A Global Social Media Survey of Attitudes to Human Genome Editing. Cell Stem Cell 2016; 18:569-572
- Nolan MT, Plana JC, Thavendiranathan P, Shaw L, Si L, Marwick TH. Cost-effectiveness of strain-targeted cardioprotection for prevention of chemotherapy-induced cardiotoxicity. Int J Cardiol. 2016; 212: 336-45.
- Chen M, Si L., Winzenberg T., Gu J., Jiang Q., Palmer AJ. Cost-effectiveness of raloxifene in the treatment of osteoporosis in Chinese postmenopausal women: impact of medication persistence and adherence. Patient Preference and Adherence 2016. 2016 (10):415-423
- Curry BA, Hitchens PL, Otahal P, Si L, Palmer AJ Australian insurance costs of jockeys injured in a race-day fall. Occupational medicine (Oxford, England) 2016. 66 (3):222-9
- Curry B, Hitchens P, Otahal P, Si L, Palmer A. Workplace injuries in Thoroughbred racing: An analysis of insurance payments and injuries amongst jockeys in Australia from 2002 to 2010. Animals 2015 Sept 8. 5 (3): 897-909.
- de Graaff B, Neil A, Sanderson K, Si L, Yee KC, Palmer AJ. A Systematic Review and Narrative Synthesis of Health Economic Studies Conducted for Hereditary Haemochromatosis. Appl Health Econ Health Policy 2015 Aug 9. 13 (5): 469-483.
- Palmer AJ, Si L, Gordon JM, Saul T, Otahal P, Hitchens PL. Investigating the costs of major and minor cycling crashes in Tasmania, Australia. Aust N Z J Public Health 2015 Jun 29. 39 (5):485-90.
- Lung TWC, Hayes AJ, Herman WH, Si L, Palmer AJ, Clarke PM. A Meta-Analysis of the Relative Risk of Mortality for Type 1 Diabetes Patients Compared to the General Population: Exploring Temporal Changes in Relative Mortality. PloS one. 2014;9(11):e113635.
- Palmer AJ, Si L, Gordon JM, Saul T, Curry BA, Otahal P, et al. Accident rates amongst regular bicycle riders in Tasmania, Australia. Accident; analysis and prevention. 2014;72c:376-81.
- Si L, Wang L, Jiang Q, et al. An Introduction to Markov Model for Health Technology Assessment [in Chinese]. Chinese Health Economic. 2013; 10:70-72.
- Wang L, Jiang Q, Si L, et al. Analysis on the Influencing Factors and Poverty Impact of Out-of-pocket Health Payment of Anhui Rural Vulnerable Population [in Chinese]. Chinese Health Economics. 2013; 32(5):69-71.
- Si L, Jiang Q. Cost Effective Analysis of a Catch-up Hepatitis B Vaccination among the Children in China [in Chinese]. Chinese Health Economics. 2012; 6:74-76.
- Wang L, Jiang Q, Si L, et al. Analysis on Catastrophic Health Spending of Rural Inhabitant in Anhui Province [in Chinese]. China Health Policy Research. 2012.5(4):59-62.
- Wang A, Jiang Q, Si L, et al. Analysis on the Benefit Equity of Government Subsidy of New Rural Cooperative Medical Scheme in Anhui Province: Base on the Method of Theil Index [in Chinese]. China Health Policy Research.2012.5(3):45-48
- Si L, Beneficiaries’ Price Sensitivity