Dr Henry Cutler
Dr Henry Cutler
Henry is the inaugural director of the Centre for the Health Economy at Macquarie University (MUCHE).
Prior to joining MUCHE, Henry led the health economics team at KPMG, and was head of the Sydney Health Economics and Social Policy team for Access Economics. He also worked as a senior economic consultant the Centre for International Economics for five years, and spent eight years in the debt, equity and derivative markets, both in Australia and the UK.
Henry has consulted on a wide variety of health and aged care topics for federal and state government departments, not-for-profit organisations and private companies. His work focuses on health care policy evaluation and analysis using a variety of economic tools and modelling techniques.
He has undertaken projects on health care financing, private health insurance, public and private hospital policy development, hospital efficiency, health care performance measurement, resource allocation mechanisms, health and aged care workforce, disability services, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, blood products, preventative health care, informal care and aged care reform.
Henry has also gained experience across a broad health condition base. This includes cancer, visual impairment, dementia, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, road trauma, sleep disorders, blood conditions, and mental health.
Publications and reports
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia and Macquarie University - Assessing choice for public hospital patients (2017)
- Sydney Local Health District - Developing an economic evaluation methodology to assess robotically assisted surgery (2016)
- NSW Ministry of Health - Exploring options for purchasing Hospital in the Home (HITH) in NSW (2016)
- Becton Dickinson - An overview of the residential aged care sector (2016)
- NSW Health-Cost effectiveness of a medically supervised injection centre (2015)
- Australian Self Medication Industry - A footprint of self-medication sector (2015)
- Safe Work Australia – Estimating impacts on business and government from harmonising workplace health and safety (WHS) legislation across multiple states and territories (2014)
- NSW Health (Kids and Family) – Estimating the benefits and costs of providing in-home assistance to new mothers at risk through the Sustaining NSW Families (SNF) program (2014)
- Melanoma Patients Australia (MPA) – The economic cost of advanced melanoma in Australia (2014)
- Department of Social Services (DSS) – Providing transitional business advisory services to residential aged care providers to help navigate accommodation payment reforms (2014)
- Australian Unity – A calculator to determine the optimum accommodation price and payment structure for people entering residential care (2014)
- LASA NSW-ACT - Estimated impacts on residents and the federal government from new co-contribution to care means testing arrangements in aged care (2013)
- Queensland Department of Health - Modelling the impact on government revenue from alternative eligibility and copayment options for publically funded oral health services in Queensland (2013)
- Department of Health and Ageing (DoHA) – Developing a preferred funding model to reform the distribution of OATSIH primary health care grant funding (2013)
- Anglican Retirement Villages (ARV) – Estimating appropriate rates of return for residential aged care and independent living (2013)
- Illawarra Retirement Trust (IRT) –Economic evaluation of community housing for ageing carers and their care recipients (2013)
- Australian Association of Pathology Practices (AAPP) – Analysis of Approved Collection Centre (ACC) deregulation and high rents on pathology providers (2013)
- Aged Care Financing Authority (ACFA) – Annual report on the state of the aged care sector and a framework to assess the impacts of reforms on the aged care sector (2013)
- Department of Family and Community Services (Women NSW) - Economic evaluation of potential domestic and family violence reforms (2013)
- Aged Care Financing Authority (ACFA) – Scenario analysis of selected Living Longer Living Better aged care reform financial arrangements, and their potential impact on residential care providers (2013)
- Australian Drug Foundation (ADF) – An economic evaluation of the Good Sports Program (2013)
- Australian Wound Management Association (AWMA) – Cost effectiveness analysis of compression leg bandages (2013)
- Australian Association of Pathology Practices (AAPP) - Forecasting pathology outlays and developing alternative approaches to smoothing overruns (2013)
- National Centre of Indigenous Excellence (NCIE) – Developing a social return on investment framework to evaluate services delivered by the NCIE (2013)
- NSW Health and Human Services (NSW HSS) – Measuring productivity improvement from health roster process redesign and technology improvement (2012)
- Latrobe Community Health Services – Economic evaluation of the Mobile Wound Care system (2012)
- Australian Association of Pathology Practices (AAPP) - Analysis of alternative base year funding estimates to forecasted funding under the Pathology Funding Agreement (2012)
- National Blood Authority (NBA) - Three alternative models to administer a risk equalization scheme for the NBA high cost patient pool (2012)
- McGrath Foundation – A literature review of the cost effectiveness of breast care nurses in Australia (2012)
- CareConnect – Potential economic benefits from tele-consultations in community care (2011)
- Sydney South West Area Health Service (SSWAHS) – Reviewing a business case and cost benefit analysis for the Chris O’Brien Lifehouse Cancer Centre (2011)
- NSW Health and Human Services (NSW HSS) – Developing a benefits measurement framework for health roster redesign (2011)
- NSW Department of Education and Training – A cost benefit analysis of alternative heating options in NSW schools (2011)
- nib Health Funds Ltd – Evaluating changes to macroeconomic indicators on the demand for private health insurance (2011)
- Medibank Private – The economic benefits of telehealth in Australia (2011)
- Amgen – Evaluating access to cancer treatment throughout Australia (2011)
- Sleep Health Foundation – The economic cost of sleep disorders (2011)
- Archer Capital – Estimating the impact of means testing the PHI rebate on the demand for health insurance and private hospital demand (2011)
- ACAA and ACSA – The potential financial impact on providers of aged care recommendations made by the Productivity Commission (2011)
- HITH Foundation – The cost effectiveness of Hospital in the Home in NSW (2011)
- Kidney Health Australia – The economic cost of CKD in people with type 2 diabetes, and the cost effectiveness of GP opportunistic screening (2011)
- Sanofi Pasteur – A critical review of a meta-analysis on acellular vaccines for preventing whooping cough in children (2011)
- Catholic Health Australia / Australian Private Hospitals Association – Developing alternative private hospital policies and evaluating their fiscal and health care impact (2011)
- Janssen-Cilag – The economic cost of schizophrenic relapse and the potential to improve health outcomes and avoid costs using long-acting injections (2011)
- Balnaves Foundation – The economic cost of road trauma among NSW youths (2011)
- Carers Australia – The economic value of informal care in 2010 (2010)
- Keynote presentation for ARUP – The future demand for hospital care in NSW (2010)
- National Alcohol Beverages Industry Council (NABIC) – A critical review of ‘The range and magnitude of alcohol’s harm to others’ (2010)
- NSW Treasury – A critical review of the PwC need and supply model for disability care (2010)
- NSW Treasury – Modelling the demand and supply of informal care in NSW (2010)
- Medibank Private – Impact on government budgets from introducing a combined care product into the Australian disability care sector (2010)
- Medibank Private – Meeting the needs for healthy ageing at home (2010)
- Maurice Blackburn – Developing a framework to assess alternative options for a national disability insurance scheme (2010)
- Macular Degeneration Foundation – Eyes on the future. A clear outlook on age-related macular degeneration (2010)
- Carers Australia – The economic value of informal care (2010)
- Alzheimer’s Australia – Caring Places: aged care places and planning for dementia beyond 2010 (2010)
- nib Health Funds Limited - Modelling the financial and health care system impacts of a combined HSA and HDHP product in Australia (2010).
- Boehringer Ingelheim - ‘Generation Risk’: Assessing the risk of a CVD event in Australia (2010).
- AMD Alliance - The global economic cost of visual impairment (2010).
- Baxter BioScience - The cost effectiveness of ADEPT in reducing post surgical adhesions in Australia (2010).
- NSW Health - Dementia prevalence and incidence in NSW, by statistical local area (SLA) (2010).
- The Australian Nursing Federation - Nurses in residential aged care (2009).
- Alzheimer’s NSW - Further research into future dementia prevalence in NSW (2009).
- Medibank Private, Australian Unity, BUPA Australia and Ramsay Health Care - Performance of public and private hospital systems in Australia (2009).
- Alzheimer’s Australia - Keeping Dementia Front of Mind: Incidence and Prevalence (2009)
- Abbott Australasia - Cost savings from a drug eluting stent (2009).
- Eli Lilly - The economic costs of heart attack and chest pain (Acute Coronary Syndrome) (2009).
- Royal National Institute of the Blind (UK) – The economic impact of partial sight and blindness in the UK adult population (2009).
- Medical Technology Association of Australia - An improved HTA economic evaluation framework for Australia (2009).
- Baxter Health - Australian market analyses of four Baxter products (2009).
- Alzheimer’s Australia - Making choices Future dementia care: projections, problems and preferences (2009).
- Amgen - The economic cost of bone metastases - scoping study (2009).
- Ramsay Health Care - The public and private health care balance. Issues and future directions (2008).
- Australian Healthcare and Hospitals Association (AHHA) - Financing Australia’s future health care system (2008).
- iSelect - The impact of the changes to the income thresholds for the Medicare Levy Surcharge (2008).
- nib Health Funds Limited - A new generation of private health insurance products (2008).
- Australian Society for Medical Research - Exceptional Returns: The value of Investing in Heath R&D in Australia II (2008).
- National Health and Medical Research Council - Returns to NHMRC funded R&D (2008).
- Cancer Institute of NSW - The economic value of cancer R&D (2008).
- Australian Diagnostic Imaging Association (ADIA) - Estimating the impact of a wage increase on the diagnostic imaging industry (2007)