Where your money goes
Funding is key to ﬁnding a cure
Since 2014, we have formed the most comprehensive and all-encompassing research centre in Australia, where researchers and clinicians work side by side to decipher this disease.
No other centre has this kind of fire power to deliver the science and breakthroughs that will disrupt the trajectory of MND. The multidisciplinary MND Clinic receives no federal or state funding to operate and is completely run through the support of public donations and research grants. Our researchers compete for grants from the National Health and Medical Research Council, the Australian Research Council and the Motor Neurone Disease Research Institute. Since 2009, the MND team at Macquarie has successfully achieved more than $13 million in research funding – testimony to the groundbreaking work our researchers are undertaking.
It is only with adequately funded research that the solution to MND will be uncovered. We know it can be done – we just need your help to make it happen.
How you can help slow and stop MND
100% of your donation is directed to one or more of the following areas:
- MND Research Centre - Enable doctors and researchers to conduct vital research into the causes and mechanisms of MND
- MND Clnic - Help patients access subsidised and best practice multidisciplinary care
- Biobank - Build our bank of biological samples for MND which may provide clues about the disease
- Clinical Trials - Assist scientists to investigate better treatments for people living with MND
All donations of $2 or more are tax deductible. Donations to research may attract up to 40c per dollar in additional Commonwealth funding.
How you money helps
|$20,000||Help us test new therapies for MND which may slow and stop the disease|
|$10,000||Funds the collection, analysis and preservation of biological samples which help us understand the causes and biomarkers of MND|
|$5,000||Funds equipment to see how MND develops and progresses|
|$2,500||Supports bright mid career researchers who can help unravel the mysteries of MND|
|$1,500||Supports genome sequencing for one subject to identify genes involved in sporadic and familial MND|
|$1,000||Gives MND patients access to best practice subsidised care|
|$500||Provides genetic counselling for families affected by MND|
|$250||Allows DNA to be extracted from 4 patient blood samples|
|$80||Funds a session with a MND physiotherapist or speech pathologist|
|$50||Provides lab consumables used in our research effort|
All donations of $2 or more are tax deductible. Please click here to donate.
What we have achieved so far (2014 - 2017)
- Comprehensive care for 10% of Australians living with MND.
- 70+ researchers working on MND.
- 26 genes identified globally.
- More than 25 global research partners.
- 2 clinical trials underway.
- Australia's largest MND Biobank.
- 3 babies born without a faulty MND gene.
- Australia's first indigent fund for MND patients unable to access care.