CEH Ambassador - Damien Fitzpatrick
The Centre for Emotional Health is extremely fortunate to have Damien Fitzpatrick to lend his support to raising awareness about the importance of emotional health, the need for continued research and the difference research can make to lives of individuals, families and communities.
A former Australian schoolboys and under-20s captain, Fitzpatrick appeared destined for stardom as he made his Super Rugby debut at the tender age of 19.
But two major knee operations limited him to just 21 Waratahs caps between 2009-13 and Fitzpatrick then signed with French club Lyon in a bid to “clear my head.” He made a promising start in France before disaster struck with a third ACL tear and Fitzpatrick was ready to pack the boots away.
“The third time it happened, my parents were the first ones to say, ‘look, you tried everything, it’s time to give it up.’
“Because I suppose your parents and your family are the ones that see you go through all the dark times,” Fitzpatrick told foxsports.com.au.
“And they were like ‘look, it’s just not worth your mental state going through all that again.’
Damien was determined to play and managed to turn things around when he was picked up by new Wallabies coach Michael Cheika in 2016 and Fiztpatrick made a return to Super Rugby in 2017 after being contracted by NSW Waratahs for the 2017/18 season.
Damien will assist in the following events:
- (27 July) Macquarie University Postgraduate welcome
- (27 August 8am to 10am) Rotary North Ryde Fun Fun at Macquarie University. Damien to assist in team opening the event, participate in 2km Run event & promote event on social media.
- (18 October 5:30pm to 7:30pm) CEH and Future Students Health and Wellbeing Lecture on study stress and energy drink and alcohol use. Damien to deliver short (5 minutes) talk on his experience juggling study and elite sport commitments & promote discussion on social media.
- (Early April 2018) Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Youth Mental Health Forum at Macquarie University. Short talk/panel discussion regarding mental health and promote discussion on social media
- Research project on physical activity and emotional health. Damien to support recruiting for research project
- Promote RAW project (date to be confirmed). To be organised in conjunction with MacWarriors/Aquatic and Sport Centre. Damien to sign Waratah merchandise, participate in an on campus meet and greet with children involved in this research project.