Cool Kids Online
About Cool Kids Online
This engaging, interactive online program for 7 to 12 year olds allows parents and children to work together to learn strategies to help manage anxiety. Cool Kids Online is based on the Cool Kids face-to-face program which has been running at Macquarie University since 1993. Results show most young people who complete our program experience significant improvements, with decreases in worry, fear, family distress and life interference.
Who is Cool Kids Online for?
Cool Kids Online is suitable for a child if:
- they are 7 to 12 years old (for 13-17 years old view our teen program Chilled Out )
- anxiety is significantly affecting his or her day-to-day life,
- they and their parent can read and write in English (e.g. read a magazine or newspaper and complete written forms),
- they reside in Australia, and
- the family has internet access at home.
What does Cool Kids Online involve?
Cool Kids Online consists of 8 online lessons for parents and children to complete together over 10 weeks. Topics covered in the program include:
- Learning about feelings and anxiety
- Fighting fear by facing fear (stepladders)
- Detective thinking, and learning to think more realistically
- Building assertiveness and dealing with teasing
- Helpful ways of coping when upset
Our clinic is currently evaluating the effectiveness of the Cool Kids Online Program with different types of therapist support (i.e. self-guided, therapist-supported or optional therapist support).
Stages of the Cool Kids Online Research Program
- Initial assessment – online questionnaires and a telephone interview are completed by child and parent to determine whether Cool Kids Online is likely to be suitable and beneficial for the child’s needs. Includes a telephone debrief with a psychologist.
- Treatment program – A 10-week online treatment program (immediately or after a 10-week wait) that you complete at home. During the online program you will randomly receive different types of therapist support (self-guided OR therapist-supported OR optional therapist support).
- Follow up assessments – telephone interviews and online questionnaires completed by child and parent to assess progress.
In return for participation in our research, there are no costs associated with assessment and treatment for the Cool Kids Online Research Program.
How can I participate?
If you would like your child assessed for Cool Kids Online please complete the online registration form. We will then contact you to set up the initial assessment. You can access the registration form here.
How can I find more information?
If you have further questions, please contact us at email@example.com or on 02 9850 8832.
Content owner: Centre for Emotional Health Last updated: 03 Sep 2020 10:16pm