Multicultural Australian English: The new voice of Sydney - International
PhD or MRes Year 2 + PhD
15 Apr 2019 12am AEST
01 Jul 2021 11pm AEST
Scholarship available to
Macquarie University is offering a MRes Year 2 + PhD bundle or PhD scholarship in Phonetics/Speech Science through the Australian Research Council Future Fellowship project “Multicultural Australian English: The new voice of Sydney” awarded to Prof Felicity Cox (2019-2022).
This project examines the relationship between speech production and ethnic diversity in multicultural Sydney. The aim is to generate an integrated and inclusive model of Australian-English, through phonetic analysis of speech used by adolescents from a range of language backgrounds. Outcomes are expected to inform sociophonetic theories of variation, ethnicity, and identity, and provide a crucial framework for supporting sociocultural cohesion.
The suitable applicant should have disciplinary background in phonetics or sociophonetics. The specific topic of the candidate's research project is negotiable. Potential projects may include:
- acoustic and/or articulatory examination of select phonetic features of Australian English used by speakers from a range of heritage language backgrounds such as Arabic, Mandarin, Hindi, German, Vietnamese, English
- analysis of the relationship between speech production and the level and type of speaker engagement with the local community
- ethnophonetic analysis of social microcultures within a school setting
- examination of sound change through a comparison between select acoustic data from the Multicultural Australian English project and archival Australian English data
- examination of sound change through agent based modelling
In addition to all of the documents required as part of an online application, applicants are also asked to provide a covering letter, CV and sample of their writing with their application.
This scholarship is available to eligible domestic or international candidates to undertake a direct entry PhD or MRes Year 2 (1 year) + PhD (3 year) program.
The scholarship is comprised of a Tuition Fee Offset and a Living Allowance Stipend. The value and tenure of the scholarship is a “MQRES” full-time stipend rate of $28,597 per annum (in 2021 tax-exempt for up to 4 years - indexed annually).
Name: Prof Felicity Cox
How to Apply
New applicants to Macquarie University will need to complete the OnlineHDR Candidature and Scholarship Application via the Online Application System and arrange for two academic referee reports to be submitted to the Higher Degree Research Office. Further information can be found on the How to Apply page.
Current applicants with a successful candidature offer less than 12 months old and currently enrolled Macquarie University candidates:
- MUST submit a Scholarship Only Application form with supporting documents. Please refer to a Guideline on "How to submit a Scholarship only application".
- MUST indicate the allocation number under the scholarship details question
- MUST include ID number and full name in email subject line (in one PDF attachment)
Please note, at the start of your application you should select the scholarship type of "HDR Project/Supervisor Specific Scholarship".
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants are expected to have a record of excellent academic performance and preferably, additional relevant research experience and/or peer-reviewed research activity in line with the University’s scholarship rating guidelines. Refer to the Rating Scholarship Applicants section for more information about these guidelines.
Macquarie University will advise the successful applicant of entitlements at the time of scholarship offer.
Please quote the allocation number on your application.