Macquarie University Centre for the Health Economy (MUCHE) Industry funded HDR scholarships
PhD and MRes Y2+PhD Bundle
2018152 (PhD) and 2018153 (MRes Y2 + PhD)
01 Mar 2019 12am AEDT
31 Oct 2019 11pm AEDT
Scholarship available to
We are currently advertising two DOMESTIC Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarships (MQRES).
- 2018152 – one PhD scholarship available to eligible candidates. The period of candidature and scholarship is three years.
- 2018153 – one Master of Research Year 2 plus 3-year PhD scholarship available to eligible candidates. The total period of candidature and scholarship is four years.
All scholarships are offered on a full-time basis.
Macquarie University is recognised globally as one of Australia’s leading research universities. We recently earned a 5-star rating in the QS World Rankings, including the highest rating for employability.
Macquarie University’s Centre for the Health Economy (MUCHE) was established to undertake innovative research on health, ageing and human services. Its vision is to create a world where decision makers are empowered with applied, trusted and influential research into health and human services policy and systems.
Macquarie University and MUCHE have recently partnered with five pharmaceutical companies to develop a unique and innovative HDR program, the first of its kind in Australia. These partners include Amgen Australia, Janssen Australia, MSD Australia, Pfizer Australia, and Roche Australia.
The program is aimed at students willing to undertake research relevant to the pharmaceutical sector. This includes:
- Medicine choice among consumers and GPs.
- Post-market surveillance of medicine outcomes.
- Outcomes based payments within the pharmaceutical sector.
- Health equity, social justice and need.
- Impact of medicines on broader economic outcomes.
- International competitiveness of the Australian clinical trials sector.
- Value of patient support programs.
While specific research questions would be determined by the student and their supervisor, students can also draw on outcomes from an annual pharmaceutical sector research workshop that will be organised and facilitated by MUCHE. Previous workshop outcomes can be found here.
What we offer:
- 2018152 PhD scholarship and 2018153 Master of Research Year 2 plus PhD (Bundle) Scholarship: The full-time stipend rate associated with the scholarships is $47,907.50 per annum tax-exempt, consisting of the MQRES funded full-time stipend of $27,596 per annum tax-exempt (2019 rate) plus a $20,311.50 per annum top up.
Tuition fees for domestic candidates are covered by the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset.
Successful scholarship applicants may also have access to Research Assistant work to supplement the scholarship stipend (on average for 14 hours per week).
In addition to the scholarship, Macquarie University provides approximately $1,000 over the second year of the Master of Research and $10,000 over the course of the PhD for research related activities (travel to present at conferences, training, copy editing, thesis production etc).
We encourage students with potential research topics relevant to the pharmaceutical sector to apply, regardless of their discipline.
PhD candidates must demonstrate their interest in health care related research, and their strong analytical and writing skills reflected in research output (i.e. peer reviewed publications).
Candidates applying for the PhD scholarship should select MUCHE 2018152 and candidates applying for the Master of Research Year 2 plus PhD scholarship should select MUCHE 2018153 in the scholarship details question.
Name: Ashley Soytemiz
Phone: +61 2 9850 2999
How to Apply
For information on how to apply, select the "How to Apply" button below.
Please note, at the start of your application you should select the scholarship type of "HDR Project/Supervisor Specific Scholarship".