Roman Social History
01 Jan 2018 12am AEDT
30 Apr 2019 11pm AEST
Scholarship available to
We invite applications from current and prospective PhD candidates to apply for one of two Roman History Scholarship in the Department of Ancient History at Macquarie University.
Holders of these scholarships will be supervised by Professor Ray Laurence in one of the following areas:
- The City of Rome
- Roman Space and Urbanism
- Roman Roads and Communications
- The Roman Life Course and Perceptions of Ageing in Antiquity
- Quantitative Epigraphy
We have 1 scholarship to offer:
- 1 x scholarship for commencement in 2019, suitable candidates will need to commence the PhD by 15 December 2019
The Research Proposal
Applicants will devise their own research proposal that lies within one of the above listed areas. In drawing up the proposal, applicants should follow the on-line advice that provides key guidance of expectations of the research proposal.
Successful applicants will work on their PhD theses in the Department of Ancient History that has more than 40 full-time permanent academic staff and a graduate community of over 100 students, and engage with the wider interest in Ancient History in Sydney (for example in schools, museums and other universities).
Students can enrol exclusively at Macquarie University or under the Cotutelle model, where a PhD student enrols at both Macquarie University and an international university (with supervisors in both universities with their thesis examined in both institutions leading to qualifications from each university).
Department: Ancient History
This scholarship is available to eligible candidates to undertake a direct entry 3-year PhD program.
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants are expected to have a record of excellent academic performance and preferably, additional relevant research experience and/or peer-reviewed research activity in line with the University’s scholarship rating guidelines. Refer to the Rating Scholarship Applicants section for more information about these guidelines.
The scholarship is comprised of the Tuition Fee Offset funded by the Research Training Program (RTP) and a Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarship (MQRES) Stipend.
The value and tenure of the scholarship is:
- RTP Tuition Fee Offset; and
- MQRES Stipend (living allowance)
This scholarship provides a stipend currently valued at AUD $27,596 per annum (tax exempt). The scholarship has been approved for a maximum of 3 years.
Name: Professor Ray Laurence
How to Apply
New applicants to Macquarie University will need to complete the Online HDR Candidature and Scholarship Application via the Online Application System and arrange for two academic referee reports to be submitted to the Higher Degree Research Office. Further information can be found on the How to Apply page.
Applicants who are currently enrolled in an MQ HDR program or applicants who hold a Macquarie University candidature offer LESS than 12 months old:
- Complete and submit the HDR Application for Scholarship Only form (available on the HDRO Forms) and include supporting documentation, such as:
- any additional information or research output since original application and commencement
- updated CV
- offer letter and/or research student profile
- Indicate the reference under the scholarship details question
- Email the application to firstname.lastname@example.org in ONE pdf document and MUST indicate in the subject line the MQ ID, full name and reference
- Request their referees to send the Academic Referee Reports directly to email@example.com.
While current candidates are eligible to apply, any consumed prior enrolment will be counted as advanced standing and will reduce the maximum scholarship duration offered.