01 Jan 2018 12am AEDT
30 Apr 2019 11pm AEST
Scholarship available to
We invite applications from current and prospective PhD candidates to apply for one of three Greek History Scholarship in the Department of Ancient History at Macquarie University.
Holders of these scholarships will be supervised by Professor Ian Worthington in one of the following areas:
- Classical and Hellenistic Greek History
- Alexander the Great and his Era
- Hellenistic Athens
- Greek Oratory
We have 1 scholarship to offer:
- 1 x scholarship for commencement in 2019, suitable candidates will need to commence the PhD by 15 December 2019
Successful applicants will work on their PhD theses in the Department of Ancient History that has more than 40 full-time permanent academic staff and a graduate community of over 100 students, and engage with the wider interest in Ancient History in Sydney (for example in schools, museums and other universities).
Students can enrol exclusively at Macquarie University or under the Cotutelle model, where a PhD student enrols at both Macquarie University and an international university (with supervisors in both universities with his/her thesis examined in both institutions leading to qualifications from each university.
Department: Ancient History
This scholarship is available to eligible candidates to undertake a direct entry 3-year PhD program.
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants are expected to have a record of excellent academic performance and preferably, additional relevant research experience and/or peer-reviewed research activity in line with the University’s scholarship rating guidelines. Refer to the Rating Scholarship Applicants section for more information about these guidelines.
The scholarship is comprised of the Tuition Fee Offset funded by the Research Training Program (RTP) and a Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarship (MQRES) Stipend.
The value and tenure of the scholarship is:
- RTP Tuition Fee Offset; and
- MQRES Stipend (living allowance)
This scholarship provides a stipend currently valued at AUD $27,596 per annum (tax exempt). The scholarship has been approved for a maximum of 3 years.
Name: Professor Ian Worthington
How to Apply
New applicants to Macquarie University will need to complete the Online HDR Candidature and Scholarship Application via the Online Application System and arrange for two academic referee reports to be submitted to the Office of HDR Training and Partnerships. Further information can be found on the How to Apply page.
Applicants who are currently enrolled in an MQ HDR program or applicants who hold a Macquarie University candidature offer LESS than 12 months old:
- Complete and submit the HDR Application for Scholarship Only form (available on the OHDRTP Forms) and include supporting documentation, such as:
- any additional information or research output since original application and commencement
- updated CV
- offer letter and/or research student profile
- Indicate the reference under the scholarship details question
- Email the application to email@example.com in ONE pdf document and MUST indicate in the subject line the MQ ID, full name and reference
- Request their referees to send the Academic Referee Reports directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
While current candidates are eligible to apply, any consumed prior enrolment will be counted as advanced standing and will reduce the maximum scholarship duration offered.
Please note, at the start of your application you should select the scholarship type of "HDR Strategic and Project Specific".