Faculty of Science and Engineering: Engineering - Extrusion Computational Fluid Dynamics research project
Extrusion Computational Fluid Dynamics research project
An exciting and unique opportunity exists for a PhD student to undertake research at Macquarie University to investigate the potential of applying Computational Fluid Dynamics to the extrusion process. Located in Sydney Australia, Macquarie University is located approximately 30 minutes from the Sydney CBD and iconic beaches. It is also located at the heart of a technological precinct within Sydney providing easy access to many advanced companies.
This project is being undertaken in collaboration with an innovative Australian company with a desire to enhance their ability to predict the performance of their dies to better serve their local and international clients. During the course of this research project the successful applicant will be required to investigate the feasibility of modelling the extrusion process in order to predict the performance of an extrusion die with the aid of CFD. In addition to establishing simulations, experiments will be required to be designed, manufactured and undertaken to validate the simulations capabilities. Site visits to the industry partner will be vital to allow the applicant to enhance their understanding of the extrusion process, collate data to compare to simulations and establish a close technical relationship with the industry partner.
The successful applicant will:
- be required to be self-motivated and an enthusiastic individual with a passion for developing simulation techniques
- be required to have demonstrated knowledge of CFD and modelling of two-phase flows and an understanding of the governing equations used by this simulation tool
- have excellent English reading, writing and speaking ability
- have some previous experience with computer programming
- be knowledgeable of material mechanic properties
- have experience with CAD and other simulation tools such as FEA
- be eligible to obtain an Australian student visa
- have completed an equivalent bachelor of engineering degree with honours as categorised by NOOSR, a Masters degree will be considered more favourably
- meet the entry criteria for PhD at Macquarie University http://www.mq.edu.au/research/phd-and-research-degrees/how-to-apply/entry-criteria
Other Important information
If interested, applicants are requested to send their CV and a cover letter addressing the requirements listed above to email@example.com with the subject heading “Application for extrusion CFD research project”.
Dr Sammy Diasinos
+61 2 9850 9146
This scholarship/s is/are available to eligible candidates to undertake either:
- Direct entry into a 3 year PhD program.
The value and tenure of the scholarship is:
- The MQRTP full-time stipend rate is $26,288 per annum (in 2016 tax exempt, for up to 3 years (indexed annually)
- For international candidates, the scholarship includes Macquarie University tuition fees for up to three years
Applicants will need to submit an Expression of Interest in the first instance.
Applicants will then need to Apply for a research degree and scholarship at Macquarie Universityand arrange for two academic referee reports to be submitted
to the Higher Degree Research Office.
The form can be downloaded from the Forms page.
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants are expected to have a record of excellent academic performance and preferably, additional relevant research experience and/or peer-reviewed research activity, awards and/or prizes in line with the University’s scholarship rating guidelines.
Refer to the Rating Scholarship Applicants section for more information about these guidelines.
Macquarie University will advise the successful applicant of entitlements at the time of scholarship offer. Please quote the scholarship code on your application.