Physics and astronomy
Macquarie’s physics and astronomy research is internationally recognised. In the most recent Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) evaluation, our physical sciences research received a rating of 5 out of 5 – ‘outstanding performance well above world standard’, as did our research in the sub-disciplines of astronomical and space sciences, and quantum physics.
Our scientists enjoy outstanding international collaborative links, and publish their research in high-impact journals.
Macquarie physicists have also partnered in successful commercial ventures leading to spin-off companies such as semiconductor producer BluGlass Ltd, and Laser Micromachining Solutions, which provides micro-fabrication services to companies and universities across Australia..
Our research strengths
Our research strengths are concentrated in the areas of:
- astronomy, astrophysics and astrophotonics
- lasers and light sources, photonic structures and devices
- molecular physics
- quantum information science and technology, and
- semiconductors and materials
Our facilities include:
- access to onshore and offshore 2 – 8 metre telescopes
- laser micromachining, nano-characterisation and diamond growth facility
- more than 30 well-equipped laboratories and clean rooms
- optical and photonic micro-characterisation and microscopy facilities, and
- thin film deposition and crystal growth systems
Our research hubs
Macquarie’s physics and astronomy research activities support four research hubs:
- MQ Biofocus Research Centre
- MQ Photonics Research Centre
- Macquarie University Research Centre for Astronomy, Astrophysics and Astrophotonics
- Research Centre in Quantum Science and Technology