Medicine and surgery
Macquarie is setting new benchmarks in medical research. With the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences and Macquarie University Hospital co-located on the Macquarie campus, medical sciences and surgery researchers have access to a unique research environment.
The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences brings together world-class clinicians, researchers and medical educators to create an innovative training program for medical practitioners and higher degree research candidates. Research activity is focused on future trends in medicine, particularly in cardiology, genetics, infections, molecular biology, neuroscience, vascular science and surgery.
Research efforts are supported by Macquarie University Hospital. Australia’s most technologically advanced private hospital on a university campus, the hospital is a world leader in neurosurgery, hosts the country’s only gamma knife, and provides the most diversified national robotic surgery program.
Our research strengths
Our research strengths are concentrated in the areas of:
- blood flow
- cardiorespiratory neuroscience
- cardiovascular neuroscience
- cellular signalling
- clinical ethics
- infection and immunity
- molecular neuroscience
- physical science (medical image processing, radiochemistry, medical physics)
- vascular surgery, and
- visual science
Our facilities include:
- anatomy labs with facilities for orthopaedics and radiology
- Australian Hearing Hub
- Australia’s first gamma knife
- cyclotron for the manufacture of radiopharmaceuticals
- da Vinci® Surgical System
- Macquarie University Hospital and clinics
- magnetic resonance imaging
- model systems
- more than 2000 square metres of research laboratories for medical research, and
- the Surgical Skills Centre and Simulation Skills Centre
Our research hubs
Macquarie hosts the Concentration of Research Excellence in Neuroscience, Vascular Sciences and Surgery, and is focusing on advancing a cure for motor neurone disease through the Macquarie Motor Neurone Disease Research Centre. The Macquarie Cancer Institute is also raising the bar in cancer care through research, advanced detection technologies, and integrated care of patients.
Content owner: HDR Resarch Training and Partnerships Last updated: 05 Sep 2019 4:09pm