About LEMA | Find | Projects | Documents | Research | Gallery


Saturday 5 May !
I set out early this morning on my Tour of Inspection to the Settlement of Port Dalrymple attended by Mrs. Macquarie and Lachlan in the carriage, and by Lt. Govr. Sorell, Mr. Judge Advocate Wylde, Lt. Robinson, Lt. Macquarie, Doctr. Redfern, and Mr. Evans, in Gigs or on Horseback; Lt. Govr. Sorell having his son Edmund along with him; and our Baggage having been sent on two days before us. —We set out from Hobart Town a qr. before 8 in the morning – and arrived at Austin's Ferry on the Derwent a qr. past 9; the distance being 9 miles. We Breakfasted at Austin's, and crossed the Ferry immediately afterward – Our Carriage and Horses Crossing before us. — Passing over Bagdad Plains, Constitution Hill, Green Ponds, Cross-Marsh, Serpentine Valley, and Spring Hill, we Halted on the Northside of it and on the edge of Jerico Plains, at 6. P.M. encamping there for the Night; the distance from Hobart Town being 40 miles. We found all our Baggage before us – but our own Horses greatly fatigued & knocked up almost. — We did not dine till near 7,O'Clock. — Mrs. M. Lachlan and myself slept in a small Hut lately erected here, as one of the stages to Port Dalrymple. —

Sunday 6 May !
Set out after Breakfast at, 9 OClock, from last Night's Halting Place, and passing over Jerico Plains, the River Jordon, Woodford Plains, Westmoreland Plains, and Macquarie Springs, we arrived at Wright's Farm on York Plains where we halted for the Night – distance from Spring Hill 15 miles.—

Monday 7. May !
It rained in the Night, and continues to do so this morning. We therefore postponed setting out till it cleared up a little, which it did at 11. a.m. — We then pursued our Journey, our Baggage having set forward about an Hour before us. —

Passing over Antill Ponds, Salt Pan Plains, Blackman's River, Mount Henrietta, Macquarie River, arrived in Argyle Plains, and Halted for the Night at the Government Stock-Yard, distance from Wright's 16 miles.

Tuesday 8th. May.
At 11. a.m. We pursued our Journey – our heavy Baggage having been sent off before us at 9,O'Clock. — We travelled over Antill Plains, Maclaine Plains, leaving Mount Campbell on our left, crossed the Elizabeth River (Kempton's Station), then passed over Macquarie Plains, and Halted at the Edge of Epping Forest, where we encamped for the Night. —Disce. 15 miles.

Wednesday 9 May.
Set out on our Journey from last Night's stage at 10 a.m., our Baggage having been sent off an Hour before. — We passed thro' Epping Forest (12 miles long) over Henrietta Plains, and Bathurst (formerly New) Plains to Mr. Gibson's Farm on the South Esk, where we halted for the Night, distance 21 miles; Putting up at Mr. Gibson's House, which is a most comfortable one indeed; and where we found abundance of everything that was good. —

Thursday 10 May !!!
We sent off our heavy Baggage early this morning for Launceston, and at 11. a.m. set out on our Journey to that Station; crossing the South Esk River at a very good Ford about a Mile and a Half down the River from Mr. Gibson's House. — We travelled over Gordon Plains, passed the Sugar Loaf, through Camden Valley, and Patterson's Plains to Mr. Rose's farm, where we Halted for Half an Hour to see our old friend and view the beautiful and Picturesque "Corri-Linn" on the North Esk River.

We afterwards prosecuted our Journey thro' Breadalbane Plains, and on the Road about 3 miles from Town we were met by Lt. Colonel Cimitiere the Commandant of Port Dalrymple, accompanied by all the Civil officers, and respectable Inhabitants of that Settlement, to congratulate us on our arrival in it. — They all proceeded with us, on Horseback to Launceston where we arrived a little before 4,O'Clock in the afternoon; distance from Mr. Gibson's farm being only 13 miles. —

I took up my Quarters at the Commandant's House which had been prepared for our accommodation; the Gentlemen who attended us having taken their leave of us at the Entrance into the Government Grounds.

Lt. Govr. Sorell, and the Gentlemen [of] our respective Suites having been provided with Quarters in the Town. — I forgot to mention that the Detachment of the 48th. Regt. now doing duty at Launceston, and commanded by Capt. Parry in Person, were drawn up to receive [us] on the Road leading to the Government Grounds. —

In the Evening the whole of the Houses in Town, and the Colonial Vessels in the River (4 in number) were all very prettily illuminated in honor of our arrival at Launceston.

Lieut. Col: Cimitiere and Capt. Parry dined with us today besides our own Party.

Friday 11. May.
I visited Lt. Govr. Sorell, who is confined to his House with a severe Cold – and walked about the Town a good deal to look at the improvements, which have taken place since I was last here in 1811.

Lieut. [sic] Cimitiere, Capt. Parry, the Revd. Mr. Youl Chaplain, Mr. Archer Commissary, and Mr. Barclay J. P. dined with us today. — The Lt. Governor was not able to make one of our Party. —

Saturday 12. May !
Lieut. Colonel Cimitiere set out early this morning for George-Town, to make some arrangements there previous to my visiting that new Settlement, which it is my intention to do on Monday next in case the Weather should become more moderate, for at present it is very windy rainy and boisterous, blowing a hard gale at North West, and withall very cold.

Capt. Parry, Ensn. White, Mr. Archer & Mr. Jas. Cox Magistrates, dined with us today.

Sunday 13. May !
I attended Divine Service today at the Temporary Chapel at Launceston to hear the Revd. Mr. Youl asst. Chaplain Preach. I called after Church Service to see Lt. Govr. Sorell who is still confined with his Cold. —

Mr. & Mrs. Archer, Capt. Parry and Ensn. White dined with us today. —

Monday 14. May 1821 !
This forenoon at 11,O'Clock I received the address of the Magistrates, Publick Officers, and Inhabitants of the Settlement of Port Dalrymple – presented by a respectable Committee of Gentlemen chosen for that purpose, of which Thos. Archer Esqr. was the Chairman – and to which address I made a suitable reply; the Judge Advocate, the Military Officers, and the Gentlemen of my own Family being present. The Lt. Govr. was not able to attend from sickness. —

Mr. & Mrs. Simpson, Miss Saunderson, Mr. & Mrs. Dry, Capt. Parry & Ensn. White dined with us today. —

I called on the Lt. Govr. and received several visitors in the course of this forenoon.

I sent off Joseph with the Carriage & Horses about 12,O'Clock to the first stage on the Road to George-Town 9 miles from Launceston – namely Fitzgerald's Farm – there to wait our coming; intending to proceed thither tomorrow morning by water for George-Town. —

Tuesday 15. May !
Set out at 10,O'Clock this morning, accompanied by Mrs. M. Lachlan, & Doctor Redfern, in Lt. Col: Cimitiere's Barge for "George-Town". At ½ past 12. We landed at Fitzgerald's Farm on the Right Bank of the River Tamar, 9 miles from Launceston, where we found the Carriage & Horses ready waiting for us to conduct us the rest of the way by Land agreeably to our original Plan; but on more minute enquiry the Road from Fitzgeralds to George-Town was ascertained to be so very rough and stony, that we were induced to abandon that intention, and consequently determined on proceeding all the way by water in the Barge. — We accordingly ordered the Carriage back to Launceston, and pursued our Journey by Water; leaving Fitzgerald's Farm at 1. P.M. —Doctr. Redfern, accompanied by my Orderly Dragoon, proceeded by Land to George-Town. — We had rather a tedious and boisterous Voyage down the River – there being much Wind and occasional smart showers of Rain. — The Boat's crew rowed well, and cheerfully, and did all they could to shorten the Voyage. —

We halted to take some little refreshment about two thirds of the way, on the Left Bank of the River, and landed for Half an Hour at a Place which I named "Lachlan's Resting Place", close to Marianne Crek, [sic] and thence prosecuted our Voyage. Lachlan behaved like an old Traveller – never once uttering a complaint the whole way. —

We did not reach George-Town till 8,O'Clock at Night – being nearly Ten Hours on the Water and the distance being 40 miles, with the Wind the whole time against us – and also the Tide for the last two Hours. — On our reaching the Wharf we found Lt. Col: Cimitiere the Commandant waiting there to receive us with Military Honors; the whole of the Troops, free Inhabitants, and Convicts, being drawn up close to the Wharf in honor of our arrival; a Salute from the Battery being fired at the moment of our landing – the Troops Saluting at the same time, and the Convicts cheering.

On reaching the Commandant's House, we were most kindly and Hospitably received by him and Mrs. Cimitiere; and very soon afterwards sat down to a most comfortable and plentiful Dinner – at which we were joined by Doctr. Redfern and Mr. Evans Dy. Surveyor Genl. We took up our Quarters at the Commandant's House and retired to Bed at an early Hour. —

Wednesday 16. May !
I this day inspected all the Public & Private Buildings in George-Town, whether already finished – or now in progress. — I also mustered all the several Gangs of Convicts – the Female Convicts – their Quarters and Gardens – the Working Cattle, Carts &c. & c., including the Lumber Yard. — It having come on to rain about the middle of the Day I was prevented from riding into the Interior.

Thursday 17. May 1821.
I rode out this morning after Breakfast, accompanied by Col: Cimitiere, Dr. Redfern, & Mr. Evans, to the Low Head (disce. 4½ miles from Town), on which is erected the Signal Post and Pilot's House, and from whence there is an extensive view of Bass's Strait – & fine prospect up the River Tamar. —

From Low-Head, we took a ride in a North Easterly direction to look out for good Land fit for Tillage & Pasturage, and found a beautiful rich Valley 2½ miles [long] & 300 yards broad within 4 miles of George-Town fit to contain 18 Settlers at 30 acres each – and excellent Land well-watered. —I named this beautiful Tract of Land "Cimitiere Valley". — We returned Home by a longer and more circuitous Route to George Town, and afterwards we paid a visit, before Dinner, to Capt. Townson at his Farm on the other side of the River opposite to George-Town, a very pretty situation – and whither the Ladies had gone to visit in our absence; Lachlan being their only Beau! —He also accompanied us thither. —The Tamar here is a mile & a quarter Broad. —We returned Home to Dinner.

Friday 18. May !
Received & answered various Memorials at George-Town, gave Names to the Streets and Square, and made other arrangements.

Saturday 19. May 1821 !
Having now completed my inspection of George-Town, and all my arrangements for the improvement of that Town, I determined on returning this morning to Launceston by Land, sending Mrs. M. & Lachlan by Water under the care of Lt. Col: Cimitiere in his Barge.

We accordingly took an early Breakfast, and bidding adieu to our kind Hostess Mrs. Cimitiere, we set forward on our respective Journies; [sic] Mrs. M. & Lachlan having embarked & set out by Water with Lt. Col: Cimitiere at Nine O'Clock, and me accompanied by Dr. Redfern, Mr. Evans, and Denning (my Orderly Dragoon) on Horseback, by Land, at the same Hour. — It was a very boisterous disagreeable morning and threatened Rain; but the Wind and Tide being both fair, the Barge was likely to have a short Passage to Launceston, and therefore I felt perfectly easy on the score of Mrs. M. and Lachlan getting safe thither.

As to us proceeding by Land, we hoped to get thither nearly as soon as the Boat – and before it was dark; but the sequel proved the fallacy of our calculations. — Anxious to ascertain the accuracy of the report of there being an extensive Tract of Good Land at the upper end of the "Eastern Arm" of the River Tamar, I had resolved on touching there on my [way] to Launceston, as it was only about 5 miles off the Road, and with this view had appointed Mr. Hubbard the Boat Builder and Mr. Moulds the Supdt. of Carpenters at George-Town (who were well acquainted with the Ground), to meet us on the Road to conduct us to the Eastern Arm. — They accordingly met us on the Road 12 miles from George-Town, and conducted us to the Head of the Eastern Arm through a very broken rugged Forest Country, and so rocky as hardly to be practicable for a Horse. — We got to the Eastern Arm, however, in about two Hours, and there found very fine Forest Land – but rather too hilly for Cultivation –; but were assured by our Guides that about 3 miles further on there was a large Plain of Ten Mile in length running along the River, of very good & useful land fit for any purpose. — We had every reason to believe this report from the appearance of the Land we were now on – but the day was too far advanced to enable us to visit this new Tract, and therefore we determined on retracing our steps back again to the Main Road. — With this view we took a man with us for a Guide, who pretended to know the way through the Bush better than either Hubbard or Moulds, both of whom we left at the Eastern Arm to return Home to George-Town by Water, they having a Boat at the former.

At ¼ before 2. P.M. we set out with our new Guide to trace our way to the Road; but he led us by such a rough, intricate, circuitous Route & so full of rocks & underwood that it took us 2½ Hours to gain the Road, which we did not do till a quarter past 4,O'Clock. — About an Hour after we left the Eastern Arm, we all of [a] sudden missed Denning the Dragoon – which induced us to halt for several minutes to Halloo to him – but not making his appearance we were obliged to proceed on without him concluding he would naturally follow the Track of our Horses. In this however we were disappointed as we reached the Road without seeing him; but directed the Guide on his way back to George-Town to look out for him, and bring him to the Road. — Soon after our leaving the Eastern Arm, we had a thunder storm, with a very heavy fall of Rain – which continued the remainder of the Day and Night. — We proceeded on with all the speed we could after gaining the Main Road, but it was quite dark before we reached Fitzgerald's Farm, where however we did not halt above 2 or 3 minutes – as it was a heavy pour of Rain and I was anxious to get on as quick as possible to Launceston. We learned at Fitzgeralds that Mrs. M. and Lachn., with Colonel Cimitiere, had called and staid there for 2 Hours, in hopes of our arrival – and had then prosecuted their Voyage, after taking some refreshment, and we had reason to hope they would reach Launceston with Day-light. — I was greatly concerned to find that Denning was still behind, as he had not made his appearance at Fitzgerald's, and the Night being excessively dark and boisterous. — We got very well on for the first two Hours after leaving Fitzgerald's Farm, being only able to walk our Horses from the roughness of the Road and the extreme darkness of the Night. — The Rain at this time fell in Torrents, accompanied with a great deal of thunder and vivid Lightning. — We were all drenched to the Skin, cold, and uncomfortable – not having tasted anything since Breakfasting at George-Town. — In this state of things we lost our Road – and knew not which way to move. We wandered about in various directions for about an Hour, and at length by great good fortune Dr. Redfern's mare found the Road by his throwing the Bridle on her Neck – and allowing her to go her own way.

Having once more recovered the Road, we moved on very slowly and cautiously for fear of losing it again, Mr. Evans leading the way as our Guide.

We reached Launceston at 9,O'Clock at Night, very much fatigued, after being 12 Hours on Horse-back; and on our arrival at Govt. House we found Mrs. M. and all our friends impatiently waiting for us – and consequently all rejoiced to see us after our hard day's fatigues.

Mrs. M. & Lachn., with their good friend Lt. Col: Cimitiere, had arrived about ½ past 4,O'Clock, all well, after their boisterous – but speedy Voyage. —I took some warm Tea, bathed my feet, and went immediately to Bed; feeling myself more fatigued and exhausted than I had ever been before in the whole course of my life. —

Sunday 20. May !
I got up this morning quite well and so much refreshed that I went to church – and Called afterwards on Lt. Govr. Sorell, whom I was concerned to find still confined to the House with a severe cold and unable to go out. —

No Tidings yet of poor Denning my Orderly Dragoon – which gives me great uneasiness for his safety. — I hired a Guide this Evening to go in quest of him. —

Monday 21. May !
This morning at 9,O'Clock, Poor Denning made his appearance to our great joy – after great sufferings on Saturday night and the greater part of Sunday; being all that time lost – and not having reached Fitzgerald's till late last Night. —

Tuesday 22. May !
It rained all Day.

Wednesday 23. May !
Lt. Col: Cimitiere accompanied by Mr. Judge Advocate Wylde set out early this morning for George-Town. —

Major & Mrs. Macleod arrived from Launceston and joined our Family Party here. —

Thursday — [24 May]
A rainy day.

Friday — [25 May]
It rained all Day.

This Day I signed the Warrants for the execution of Nine Criminals tried at the last Criminal Court held lately at Launceston for various Felonies Vizt.
1 Patk. Kane, 2 Wm. Lloyd, 3 Robert Gilliard, 4 Jno. Morrell, 5 Danl. McCarthy, 6 Wm. Hyder, 7 Edward McCrackin, 8 Thos. Gutterlidge and 9 James Norris; the five former being directed to be executed on Wedy. the 30th. Inst. at Launceston, and the four last on Monday the 4th. of June at George-Town. —

Saturday 26. May !
The Lt. Govr. dined with us today – being a good deal recovered in his Health.

The Judge Advocate returned this afternoon from George-Town, accompanied by Lieut. Kenworthy. Mr. Beaumont Provost Marshal, Surgeon Priest, & Mr. Fryett arrived this day from Hobart Town. —

Sunday 27. May 1821.
Lieut. Govr. Sorell set out this day on his return to Hobart Town, accompanied by Lieut. Robinson; – it being our intention to set out for the same Place tomorrow. —

Monday 28. May !
Sent off all our Baggage today at 11,O'Clock, and at 1. P.M. followed it ourselves; Mrs. M. & Lachlan going in Mr. Archer's Gig & driven by him; Joseph not being able to drive safely from his having got intoxicated. —All the Magistrates & principal Gentlemen waited on me at Govt. House to take leave and most of them rode out of Town for a couple of miles along with me and then took their leave.

I rode on Horseback, accompanied by the Judge Advocate and other Gentlemen of my Suite.

We reached the South Esk River a little before Dark, which being too full to be forded, we crossed in Mr. Gibson's Boat immediately under his House, where we took up our Quarters for the Night. — It was too late to ferry over all our Baggage this night – and it and the Carriage and Horses had to remain on the North side of the River till morning. —Mrs. M. & Lachlan had got safely across the River and arrived at Gibson's before I came up to join them. —

Mr. Gibson attended at the Ferry, with his People to convey us and part of our Baggage across, and was most civil and useful in rendering us every assistance in his power.

We had a good Dinner of Beef Steakes, [sic] & went early to Bed. The Road from Launceston is very bad.

Tuesday 29. May 1821.
Messrs. Archers & Cox came to Breakfast with us at Mr. Gibson's this morning. — I have made this a halting & a Resting Day for our Servants & Cattle, as it will take the greater part of it to ferry them across the River. — Went after Breakfast to see Mr. Archer's Farm on the Lake River disce. 4 miles; Mrs. M. & Lachn. having gone in his Gig, and I and my Suite on Horseback.

We also went to the confluence of the Lake River and South Esk 3 miles from Mr. Archer's Farm. — We took Lunch at Mr. Archer's, and returned Home to Dinner after a most beautiful and interesting Ride through a very rich Tract of Country, & seeing Norfolk Plains on the opposite side of the Lake and South Esk-Rivers. —

Wednesday 30th. May –
Sent off our Baggage early this morning so as to be a Stage before us, having resolved on remaining ourselves another day at Gibson's.

We all took a ride this forenoon to look at the New Punt now building for crossing the Esk, about 3 miles lower down the River than Gibson's. I fixed on the Place for the Public Ferry – and also on the Site of a Township for this part of the Country adjoining the Ferry on a very rich Point of Land – which I have named "Perth"; Mr. Gibson who is a native of that Town having promised to build a good Inn there directly. —Perth is only 14 miles from Launceston – and within three miles of Norfolk Plains. —

Thursday 31. May 1821 !
We set out from Gibson's at ½ past 10. a.m. and arrived at our Camp on Elizabeth River at 4. P.M. disce. 27 miles. — The Roads were bad, but the Country through which we passed (vizt. Bathurst, Henrietta, and Macquarie Plains) were beautiful and fertile. — Having determined on establishing a Township on the North Bank of Elizabeth River, I have named it "Campbell-Town" in honor of Mrs. Macquarie's maiden name. — This Township is most admirably well situated in every respect – surrounded by a fine Rich Country and well watered.

Previous Index Next

Macquarie, Lachlan. Journal of a Voyage and Tour of Inspection to Van Diemen's Land.
4 April 1821 – 12 July 1821.
Original held in Mitchell Library, Sydney.
ML Ref: A784 47-86 ff. [CY Reel 303 Frames #348-387].

Top of page

Copyright © 2011 Macquarie University. All rights reserved.

Macquarie University
NSW State Library
National Library of Scotland
Historic Houses Trust
National Library of Australia
National Museum of Australia
State Records of NSW