Image Map Journal
a Voyage and Tour
Inspection to
Van Diemen's Land

Wednesday 4. Apl. 1821.
At 7 a.m. Embarked on board the Private Merchant Ship Midas, Commanded by Captain Beveridge, accompanied by Mrs. Macquarie, Lachlan, Mr. Bartlett, Lt. Macquarie, Major Taylor, and Doctor Redfern, together with our Servants; the principal part of our Baggage and Stores for the Voyage, and also our Horses and Carriage having been put on board some days before. ---At 11 a.m. weighed anchor, and stood down the Harbour with the Tide of Ebb -- but with a very Light Breeze. ---Between 1 and 2 o'clock, the Wind died away, and the Ship was obliged to come to anchor a little to the westward of the Reef called "the Sow & Pigs" -- and here we remained the rest of this day. ---

Thursday 5. April !
At Day-break, the Wind being at South west -- tho' rather scant, we got under weigh and made sail out of the Harbour, clearing the Heads about Half past 7 o'clock. At 8 a.m. the Pilot (Mason) left us to return to Shore, and we pursued our Voyage for Van Diemen's Land, steering about a South East Course, with a very Strong Breeze at South West, and the Sea pretty high. ---

At 2 p.m. It came on to blow very fresh -- the Wind continuing in the same Quarter -- with a rough Sea. Towards Sunset the Wind freshened, and Sea increased, which occasioned much motion. As we did not appear to make much progress in our Voyage, Capt. Beveridge came to the resolution to make a Tack in for the Land about the middle of the Night -- and return again to Port Jackson in case there should not be a change of Wind for the better in the morning. ---The Brig "Campbell Macquarie" sailed in Company with us from Port Jackson this morning, also bound for Van Diemen's Land; but we lost Sight of her before Sunset, not being able to keep up with us.

Friday 6. April !
It blew very fresh all last Night. ---At 12 the Ship wore, and stood in for the Land; -- and at Day-break this morning we found ourselves abreast of the Five Islands, or Illawarra, about 45 miles to the Southward of Port Jackson, which was much farther than we expected to be, and which was occasioned by the strong Northerly current in our favor.

The Wind however continuing still in the same Quarter, and there being every appearance of a strong Southerly Gale coming on, Captain Beveridge determined to bear up for Port Jackson, and lay there until the Wind should change in our favor. ---We accordingly bore up, and entered the Heads of Port Jackson at Half past 2 o'clock in the afternoon, anchoring within about Half a mile of the Entrance and on the South Side of it.

We found the Private Merchant Ship Duchess of York, from England, but last from the Derwent, at anchor a little within the Heads, having arrived last Night from Hobart Town; Mr. Justice Field and his Lady having come Passengers in her. ---This Ship has been 11 days making her Passage from the Derwent. ---

Saturday 7. April !
There being no appearance of a change of Wind, Mrs. M. & myself with Lachlan, determined on going to pass the day on shore at the Pilot's House (Murray's) in Watson's Bay -- which we did accordingly soon after BreakfaSt. ---

We had not been long on shore before we were visited by Colonel Erskine, Major Druitt, Doctor Stephenson, and Mr. Provost Marshal Campbell.

Mrs. M. contrived, in her usual clever prompt way, to knock up a Dinner for them, and of which they partook accordingly at an early Hour; they returning to Town, and we again to the ship about Sunset. ---

Sunday 8. April !
The Gale still continues to blow from the Southward, with a heavy Sea -- and occasional Showers. ---Doctor Redfern having agreed to act Chaplain, we had Prayers read today to the Ship's Crew & officers; all of whom attended -- and were all clean & well dressed.

We had no Visitors from Town this Day. ---The Gale blew still fresher towards the Evening with Heavy Rain.

Monday 9. April !!!
Last Night had nearly proved fatal to us, the Ship having drove and dragged her anchor for nearly a mile from the spot where she first anchored near the South shore towards George's Head on the North shore before she brought up -- which she did not till she was within Twenty Yards of the Breakers and Rocks immediately under the high cliffs of George's Head. ---

On my Dressing and going up on Deck early in the morning, I could not help thinking we were in a most perilous situation, and eminent danger; but on my communicating my apprehensions to Capt. Beveridge he assured me, there was not the smallest danger, or risk of the ship's driving any farther, or nearer the Rocks. ---The Pilot (Murray) also gave me the same assurance, and therefore I then said nothing further on the subject. ---After we had Breakfasted, however, seeing no steps had yet been taken to remove the ship from her awkward situation, and what I still considered a most dangerous one, I spoke again to the Captain and Pilot, and strongly recommended to both of them to have the ship removed if possible, immediately from her present alarming Position.

They at length agreed it was necessary to do so, and I offered to send up an Express to Sydney for assistance. ---I accordingly wrote a hurried note to Mr. Nicholson the Master [A]ttendant, desiring him to send us two Long Boats, with Warps, and every other necessary assistance immediately to remove us from our present perilous situation -- with which Note a light Whale Boat belonging to the ship was dispatched at 11 o'clock.

In the mean time a Gun was fired from the Midas for the purpose of bringing to a Hawkesbury Boat which was then passing us, and which Capt. Beveridge wished to come along side to assist his own Boats in carrying out a Kedge anchor. The firing of this Gun was mistaken by the Guard at the FlagStaff on the South-Head as a Signal of Distress from us -- and of our being actually on shore, which it appeared to them, from our closeness to the Cliff, we really were. ---They made that Signal accordingly to give the alarm to the Town. ---This signal conveyed the information of our dangerous state to our friends in Town long before my Note to the Master [A]ttendant could reach Town. ---The Naval Officer, accompanied by my faithful friend Campbell (my late Secry.) in one Boat, and several Commanders of Ships in others, and also Mr. Underwood the owner of the Midas, set out immediately from Town, and were with us by about half past 12 o'clock. ---Mr. Nicholson sent also, all the required assistance, and came Himself to Superintend the removing of the Ship to a safer Birth. [sic]

As our remaining on board the Midas during all this confusion could do no good, I determined on conveying Mrs. M. and Lachlan on shore, to the Pilot's House, and remaining there till the weather should be settled, and until a fair Wind should enable us to prosecute our Voyage. ---We accordingly left the Ship in Captain Piper's Boat, and landed at the Pilot's at Half past l o'clock; Major Taylor and Lt. Macquarie having followed us in another Boat. ---Some of our Servants, our Bedding, and some few Eatables and Drinkables, followed us in a third Boat. ---Thus establishing our Head Quarters for the present at the Pilot's House in Watson's Bay; -- thankful to God that we had all made so miraculous an escape from a Watery Grave ! ---

Tuesday 10. April !
The Wind still continues to blow fresh from the Southward. We have had no Visitor s this Day from Town. ---

Wednesday 11. Apl. ---
The Wind as yesterday -- but the weather very fine and moderate. ---

Colonel Erskine paid us a Visit -- and staid to dine with us. ---While Dinner was getting ready, we went a Fishing and caught a good many; Mrs. M. and Lachlan being the most successful Fishers. Colonel Erskine staid with us till 5 o'clock -- and then returned to Town. ---

Thursday 12. April !
The Wind still contrary, but the weather very fine.

Major Druitt came to visit us today -- and accompanied us to the Fishing -- at which we amused ourselves till Dinner time. ---The Major dined with us and returned to Sydney in the Evening. ---

Friday 13. Apl.
At 7 o'clock this morning Capt. Beveridge & Dr. Redfern came on shore to the Pilot's House to inform us that the Wind was now changed, and sufficiently fair to admit of our getting out and prosecuting our Voyage. We therefore had everything Packed up immediately and sent to the Boats to be put on board ship, following ourselves soon afterwards. We got on board at 8 o'clock, and immediately got under weigh, with a fine light Breeze at South West. ---By 9 a.m. cleared the Heads -- and at Half past 9 -- the Pilot (Murray) took his leave of us and returned to the Shore.

After the Pilot left us, we steered due East, so as to get a good offing, the Wind having come more round to the Southward as soon as we had cleared the Heads.

We passed our time very pleasantly for the last four days on shore, in reading, walking, and fishing; so much so that Mrs. M. was very desirous to remain for some time longer at the Pilot's House -- which is certainly a charming retirement, and admirably well calculated for Sea Bathing; there being a very fine smooth sandy Beach immediately below the House for that purpose.

Sunday 15. Apl.. !
The Wind has continued adverse ever since we cleared Port Jackson Heads on Friday morning -- blowing strong from the Southward with a good deal of Sea. ---We had no observation of the Sun yesterday the weather being very cloudy; but by our observation today at Noon, we found ourselves 24 miles to the Northward of Port Jackson. ---The Weather is very fine and moderate, and the Sea is gone down very much since last Night. The Wind continues still southerly, and we have little or no hope of a change before Tuesday Night at full moon. ---

The Day being very fine we all assembled on Deck to Prayers at 11 o'clock this forenoon. ---

Monday 16. April !
The Wind fell very much in the course of last Night, and all this morning and forenoon it was almost a perfect Calm; we were in sight of Land and by our observation at Noon were 18 miles to the Northward of Port Jackson, and at this time we could see the Tower & Light House on the South Head. ---At 3 p.m. a light Breeze Sprung up from the North West, and we were able to steer our proper course South and by West. ---By Sunset the Breeze freshened considerably and we were running before it at the rate of 4 Knots an Hour. ---Soon after Sunset we saw the Light on the Tour [sic] at South Head very distinctly, and calculated it to be at the distance of at least 25 miles from us; by 8 p.m. we were quite abreast of it, and by 10, we were abreast of Botany Bay, going at the rate of 5 Knots an Hour. ---

N.B. I omitted to mention in it's proper place that on Sunday afternoon we saw a Ship in-shore of us, to the Northward of Port Jackson, standing to the Southward, which was supposed to be the Indian, American Whaler, which intended sailing from Port Jackson the day after us.

Tuesday 17. April !
This morning at 8 o'clock, we were abreast of "Hat-Hill", a little to the southward of the Five Islands, or Illawarra, and going at the rate of 5 Knots. The Breeze continued favorable all this Day -- with very fine moderate weather -- the Ship having hardly any motion. By 3 p.m. we were abreast of the Pigeon House; and in the Evening the Breeze freshened -- with smooth water, a fine clear moonlight Night, and sailing at the rate of 6 Knots an Hour. ---This fine Wind continued all Night, and gave us a good run.

Wednesday 18. April !
The fair Wind still continues, and we get on now very pleasantly.

At 8 a.m. we were abreast of "Mount Dromedary" -- and at Noon were rather to the Southward of "Cape Howe" -- (the Northern Head of the Entrance of Bass's Strait) being by our observation at Noon in Latd. 37 45' South; and by Noon tomorrow we expect to be abreast of Cape Portland the Northern Extremity of Van Diemen's Land. ---At 2 p.m. we were going 7 Knots, with a strong steady Wind at North -- and smooth Sea. ---

Thursday 19. April !
The Wind was very light during last Night -- part of which was almost a Calm; but it freshened up at 8 this morning into a fine smart Breeze, and at Noon by observation, we were in 39 38' South Latitude, and abreast of the Northernmost of Furneaux's Islands in Bass's Strait, going at the rate of 5 Knots.

Friday 20. April !
The Breeze freshened during the Night, and we made good progress. At 8 this morning we were abreast of the Scouten [sic] Islands on the East Coast of Van Diemen's Land, with a fine strong Breeze at North West, going at the rate of 82 Knots an Hour.

At 11 a.m. the Wind nearly died away -- and became baffling.

At Noon it came round to the Southward, and consequently headed us -- but appears quite unsettled -- and inclined to a Calm.

By 3 p.m. it came on to blow a smart Breeze at South with a nasty jumbling disagreeable Sea -- and continued thus adverse all Night -- during which we Tacked to and from the Land alternately so as not to lose any ground in what we had gained. ---

Saturday 21. April !
At 6 a.m. the Wind shifted round again to the North East, and enabled us to Steer our proper course, going at 5 Knots -- but the Sea rather rough. ---

At Noon, by our observation, we were only Ten miles to the Northward of Cape Piller [sic] --the Northern Head of Frederick Henry Bay. ---We were then steering for the Land -- but it being hazy we could not see it. ---At 2 p.m. Saw Land directly ahead, which proved to be Cape Pillar, distant about 15 miles -- and which we hope to double this Evening, and get to anchor at the Mouth of the River Derwent in the course of the Night. ---It is now fair and the Sea is gone down a good deal.

At 5 p.m. Doubled "Cape Pillar", properly so called, being mostly composed of Basaltes -- and broken Rocks resembling Columns or Pillars; -- the adjoining Heads being also of a similar substance -- very grand and beautiful. ---Cape Pillar, on first sight, appears a part of the Main Land, but on a nearer approach it is discovered to be a small lofty Island, separated from the Main by a narrow Strait. ---It blew a very fresh Gale from the North East when we doubled Cape Pillar. ---Soon after rounding Cape Pillar, we saw a large Brig to Leeward of us, about 4 miles distant, steering to the Northward, and which had come out of the Derwent River.

At 6 p.m. we doubled "Cape Basaltes", -- about 6 miles to the westward of Cape Pillar, still blowing very fresh with a rough Sea. ---Cape Basaltes is also properly so named -- being a very singular and beautiful Head Land and very high. ---This Cape forms the Northern Extremity of Frederick Henry-Bay, while Cape Frederick Henry forms the Southern Extremity of it; this last being situated on Bruney or Dentre Casteaux Island.

After doubling Cape Basaltes we entered Frederick Henry Bay, but the Wind having headed us we despaired of getting into the Derwent River this Night.

We persevered however in our progress up the Bay till we got within a mile of Betsy's Island, near the mouth of the River, where we came to an anchor at Ten o'clock, it blowing then a hard Gale from the Northward -- and continued to do so the whole of the Night, occasioning a great deal of motion.

Sunday 22. April.
It still continues to blow a strong Gale from the Northward this morning, which precludes the possibility of our moving, or attempting to get into the River. ---The weather is unusually cold and moist, the Hills being covered with thick clouds -- and threatening Rain.

At Ten we had a smart shower of Rain. ---At 11 a.m. the Wind changed to the Westward -- and the Weather became more moderate.

At 1/2 past 11 a.m. the Clouds on the Hills cleared away -- and we saw the Signal flying for us at the Signal Post established by me on "Mount Nelson" in the year 1811. ---We fired a gun as a Signal for a Pilot, and soon afterwards saw a Boat coming down the River.

Began to weigh anchor a little before 12 o'clock, the Wind being now fair for our going up the River. ---

At 1 p.m. the Pilot (Mansfield) came on board, and the anchor being up, we made sail for the River -- with a fine Breeze but rather scant. ---We made very little progress towards the River, the Wind having headed us still more soon after we had made sail -- having taken from 1 to 6 o'clock to weather Iron Pot Island.

At 1/4 past 6 p.m. Lieut. Robinson Secry. to Lt. Govr. Sorell, and Mr. Bromley the Naval Officer, came on board, and the former brought me a Letter from the Lt. Governor, congratulating me on my arrival. ---Mr. Bromley brought me a Bag of Dispatches from Downing Street which came out by the Ship Medway. ---

At 1/2 past 6 p.m. we came to anchor in the mouth of the River, the Wind having failed us entirely.

At 1/2 past 8 --Lt. Robinson and Mr. Bromley took their leave, after taking some refreshment. ---

Monday 23. April !
This morning the Weather was moderate -- but the Wind was as adverse for going up the River as it was last Night.

At 1/4 past 8 a.m. the Tide of Flood having made, we weighed anchor, set sail, and commenced turning up the River; the Pilot saying he believed we should be able to work up to Hobart Town in the Course of the Day in case the Weather continued moderate, the distance from where we lay last Night (near the Entrance of Storm-Bay-Passage --) being only 12 miles from Hobart-Town. ---

The Wind continued adverse all day, blowing a strong Gale from the North West, so that we made very slow progress up the River. ---At 4 p.m. I received complimentary Letters from Lt. Govr. Sorell and Mr. Judge Advt. Wylde, who I find is still at the Derwent. ---At 6 p.m. we dropped anchor within 4 miles of Hobart Town, it being then almost dark, and still continuing to blow a fresh Gale against us. ---

Tuesday 24. Apl.
The Weather being moderate, tho' the Wind continues still adverse, we weighed anchor at 1/4 past 7 a.m. and made sail at 1/2 past 7 -- to beat up the River to the Town. At 10 a.m. the Naval Officer Mr. Bromley came on board.

At 1/2 past 11 a.m. Lieut. Govr. Sorell, accompanied by the Honble. Mr. Judge Advocate Wylde, & Lt. Robinson Secry. came on board to wait on me. ---

At Noon the Midas had worked up into Sullivan Cove, and anchored abreast of Hobart Town within Half a mile of the Shore a few minutes afterwards. ---We found 8 Square Rigged Vessels lying in Sullivan Cove --vizt. Ships Eliza, Regalia, Caroline, Mary, Emerald, St. Michael, and Brigs Campbell Macquarie and Prince Leopold, Govt. Vessel. ---On the Midas coming into the Cove a Salute of 19 Guns was fired from Mulgrave's Battery -- and the same was repeated from all the Ships in the Cove. ---

At 1 p.m. I disembarked accompanied by Mrs. M. and Lachlan, the Lt. Govr. & the Judge Advocate, in the Govt. Barge, under a Salute of 19 Guns from the Midas and also repeated again from Mulgrave's Battery; all the Ships manning their Yards as we passed them to the Shore.

We landed at the Wharf immediately under the Government House, where all the Principal Officers of Government -- and a great number of the more respectable Inhabitants were waiting to receive me; the Troops lining the Street from the Landing Place to the Govt. House, whither I proceeded in the first instance -- to receive the compliments of the officers of Government and Principal Inhabitants on my arrival in the Settlement; Mrs. Macquarie proceeding in the Lieut.-Governor's Carriage direct from the Landing Place to the Lodgings taken for us at Mr. Birch's in Macquarie Street, where I joined her immediately after the Breaking up of the Levee at Govt. House. ---

The Lieut. Govr., his Secry., and the Judge Advocate, dined with us at Mr. Birch's at 1/2 past 5 o'clock. The whole Town was illuminated at Night. ---

Wednesday 25. Apl.
I dined today with Lt. Govr. Sorell -- who had the principal officers of Government to Dinner to meet me. ---

Thursday 26. Apl.
I rode out today accompanied by the Lieut. Governor, and Major Bell the Engineer, through the Town to inspect the Principal New Buildings already completed, and also those now in Progress. ---I afterwards rode out with them as far as Newton to inspect the New Roads to that Village, and to see some of the adjoining Farms. ---We called only at one of them however, belonging to Mr. Gatehouse, and on which he is now erecting very extensive Buildings for a Brewery. Lt. Govr. Sorell & Lt. Robinson dined with us today. ---

Friday 27. April !
I received and answered the Address of the Inhabitants this day at Government House.---

Saturday 28 Apl. 1821.
This morning the undermentioned Criminals tried and convicted at the last Court of Criminal Jurisdiction, were executed at Hobart Town in pursuance of their respective Sentences, and by virtue of Warrants signed by me -- vizt. 1 Robert Hunter, 2 James Flinn, 3 Edward Brady, 4 Joseph Potaskie, 5 John Oliver, 6 John McGinnis, 7 John Higgins, 8 Michael Riley, 9 John Hill, 10 Thomas Kenny.

Sunday 29. Apl.
The greater part of the Table Mountain, alias Mount Wellington, was this morning Covered with Snow which fell this morning in great Quantities. ---

I had the misfortune to lose in the course of last Night my fine and excellent Carriage Horse Ajax -- in consequence of his having broke out of the Stable and run himself on a Plough which lay in the Stable Yard, the Handle of which ran into his chest about 14 Inches, which instantly killed him on the spot. We have had this useful fine Horse upwards of 11 years in constant use -- and therefore I feel it a most severe loss. ---It is particularly provoking to lose so valuable a Horse in so foolish a manner -- and more particularly at the present moment when we are so much in want of Horses, on the eve of our departure for Port Dalrymple -- on which Journey poor Ajax would have been so very useful to us. ---

I inspected all the Prisoners in the employ of Government at Church Muster this morning, and went afterwards along with Lt. Govr. Sorell to hear Divine Service at the New Church of St. Davids. ---

Saturday 5 May !
I set out early this morning on my Tour of Inspection to the Settlement of Port Dalrymple attended by Mrs. Macquarie and Lachlan in the carriage, and by Lt. Govr. Sorell, Mr. Judge Advocate Wylde, Lt. Robinson, Lt. Macquarie, Doctr. Redfern, and Mr. Evans, in Gigs or on Horseback; Lt. Govr. Sorell having his son Edmund along with him; and our Baggage having been sent on two days before us. ---We set out from Hobart Town a qr. before 8 in the morning -- and arrived at Austin's Ferry on the Derwent a qr. past 9; the distance being 9 miles. We Breakfasted at Austin's, and crossed the Ferry immediately afterward -- Our Carriage and Horses Crossing before us. ---Passing over Bagdad Plains, Constitution Hill, Green Ponds, Cross-Marsh, Serpentine Valley, and Spring Hill, we Halted on the Northside of it and on the edge of Jerico Plains, at 6 p.m. encamping there for the Night; the distance from Hobart Town being 40 miles. We found all our Baggage before us -- but our own Horses greatly fatigued & knocked up almoSt. ---We did not dine till near 7 o'clock. ---Mrs. M. Lachlan and myself slept in a small Hut lately erected here, as one of the stages to Port Dalrymple. ---

Sunday 6 May !
Set out after Breakfast at, 9 o'clock, from last Night's Halting Place, and passing over Jerico Plains, the River Jordon, Woodford Plains, Westmoreland Plains, and Macquarie Springs, we arrived at Wright's Farm on York Plains where we halted for the Night -- distance from Spring Hill 15 miles.---

Monday 7. May !
It rained in the Night, and continues to do so this morning. We therefore postponed setting out till it cleared up a little, which it did at 11 a.m. ---We then pursued our Journey, our Baggage having set forward about an Hour before us. ---

Passing over Antill Ponds, Salt Pan Plains, Blackman's River, Mount Henrietta, Macquarie River, arrived in Argyle Plains, and Halted for the Night at the Government Stock-Yard, distance from Wright's 16 miles.

Tuesday 8th. May.
At 11 a.m. We pursued our Journey -- our heavy Baggage having been sent off before us at 9 o'clock. ---We travelled over Antill Plains, Maclaine Plains, leaving Mount Campbell on our left, crossed the Elizabeth River (Kempton's Station), then passed over Macquarie Plains, and Halted at the Edge of Epping Forest, where we encamped for the Night. ---Disce. 15 miles.

Wednesday 9 May.
Set out on our Journey from last Night's stage at 10 a.m., our Baggage having been sent off an Hour before. ---We passed thro' Epping Forest (12 miles long) over Henrietta Plains, and Bathurst (formerly New) Plains to Mr. Gibson's Farm on the South Esk, where we halted for the Night, distance 21 miles; Putting up at Mr. Gibson's House, which is a most comfortable one indeed; and where we found abundance of everything that was good. ---

Thursday 10 May !!!
We sent off our heavy Baggage early this morning for Launceston, and at 11 a.m. set out on our Journey to that Station; crossing the South Esk River at a very good Ford about a Mile and a Half down the River from Mr. Gibson's House. ---We travelled over Gordon Plains, passed the Sugar Loaf, through Camden Valley, and Patterson's Plains to Mr. Rose's farm, where we Halted for Half an Hour to see our old friend and view the beautiful and Picturesque "Corri-Linn" on the North Esk River.

We afterwards prosecuted our Journey thro' Breadalbane Plains, and on the Road about 3 miles from Town we were met by Lt. Colonel Cimitiere the Commandant of Port Dalrymple, accompanied by all the Civil officers, and respectable Inhabitants of that Settlement, to congratulate us on our arrival in it. ---They all proceeded with us, on Horseback to Launceston where we arrived a little before 4 o'clock in the afternoon; distance from Mr. Gibson's farm being only 13 miles. ---

I took up my Quarters at the Commandant's House which had been prepared for our accommodation; the Gentlemen who attended us having taken their leave of us at the Entrance into the Government Grounds.

Lt. Govr. Sorell, and the Gentlemen [of] our respective Suites having been provided with Quarters in the Town. ---I forgot to mention that the Detachment of the 48th. Regt. now doing duty at Launceston, and commanded by Capt. Parry in Person, were drawn up to receive [us] on the Road leading to the Government Grounds. ---

In the Evening the whole of the Houses in Town, and the Colonial Vessels in the River (4 in number) were all very prettily illuminated in honor of our arrival at Launceston.

Lieut. Col. Cimitiere and Capt. Parry dined with us today besides our own Party.

Friday 11. May.
I visited Lt. Govr. Sorell, who is confined to his House with a severe Cold -- and walked about the Town a good deal to look at the improvements, which have taken place since I was last here in 1811.

Lieut. Cimitiere, Capt. Parry, the Revd. Mr. Youl Chaplain, Mr. Archer Commissary, and Mr. Barclay J.P. dined with us today. ---The Lt. Governor was not able to make one of our Party. ---

Saturday 12. May !
Lieut. Colonel Cimitiere set out early this morning for George-Town, to make some arrangements there previous to my visiting that new Settlement, which it is my intention to do on Monday next in case the Weather should become more moderate, for at present it is very windy rainy and boisterous, blowing a hard gale at North West, and withall very cold.

Capt. Parry, Ensn. White, Mr. Archer & Mr. Jas. Cox Magistrates, dined with us today.

Sunday 13. May !
I attended Divine Service today at the Temporary Chapel at Launceston to hear the Revd. Mr. Youl asst. Chaplain Preach. I called after Church Service to see Lt. Govr. Sorell who is still confined with his Cold. ---

Mr. & Mrs. Archer, Capt. Parry and Ensn. White dined with us today. ---

Monday 14. May 1821 !
This forenoon at 11 o'clock I received the address of the Magistrates, Publick Officers, and Inhabitants of the Settlement of Port Dalrymple -- presented by a respectable Committee of Gentlemen chosen for that purpose, of which Thos. Archer Esqr. was the Chairman -- and to which address I made a suitable reply; the Judge Advocate, the Military Officers, and the Gentlemen of my own Family being present. The Lt. Govr. was not able to attend from sickness. ---

Mr. & Mrs. Simpson, Miss Saunderson, Mr. & Mrs. Dry, Capt. Parry & Ensn. White dined with us today. ---

I called on the Lt. Govr. and received several visitors in the course of this forenoon.

I sent off Joseph with the Carriage & Horses about 12 o'clock to the first stage on the Road to George-Town 9 miles from Launceston -- namely Fitzgerald's Farm -- there to wait our coming; intending to proceed thither tomorrow morning by water for George-Town. ---

Tuesday 15. May !
Set out at 10 o'clock this morning, accompanied by Mrs. M. Lachlan, & Doctor Redfern, in Lt. Col. Cimitiere's Barge for "George-Town". At 1/2 past 12. We landed at Fitzgerald's Farm on the Right Bank of the River Tamar, 9 miles from Launceston, where we found the Carriage & Horses ready waiting for us to conduct us the rest of the way by Land agreeably to our original Plan; but on more minute enquiry the Road from Fitzgerald[']s to George-Town was ascertained to be so very rough and stony, that we were induced to abandon that intention, and consequently determined on proceeding all the way by water in the Barge. ---We accordingly ordered the Carriage back to Launceston, and pursued our Journey by Water; leaving Fitzgerald's Farm at 1 p.m. ---Doctr. Redfern, accompanied by my Orderly Dragoon, proceeded by Land to George-Town. ---We had rather a tedious and boisterous Voyage down the River -- there being much Wind and occasional smart showers of Rain. ---The Boat's crew rowed well, and cheerfully, and did all they could to shorten the Voyage. ---

We halted to take some little refreshment about two thirds of the way, on the Left Bank of the River, and landed for Half an Hour at a Place which I named "Lachlan's Resting Place", close to Marianne Crek, [sic] and thence prosecuted our Voyage. Lachlan behaved like an old Traveller -- never once uttering a complaint the whole way. ---

We did not reach George-Town till 8 o'clock at Night -- being nearly Ten Hours on the Water and the distance being 40 miles, with the Wind the whole time against us -- and also the Tide for the last two Hours. ---On our reaching the Wharf we found Lt. Col. Cimitiere the Commandant waiting there to receive us with Military Honors; the whole of the Troops, free Inhabitants, and Convicts, being drawn up close to the Wharf in honor of our arrival; a Salute from the Battery being fired at the moment of our landing -- the Troops Saluting at the same time, and the Convicts cheering.

On reaching the Commandant's House, we were most kindly and Hospitably received by him and Mrs. Cimitiere; and very soon afterwards sat down to a most comfortable and plentiful Dinner -- at which we were joined by Doctr. Redfern and Mr. Evans Dy. Surveyor Genl. We took up our Quarters at the Commandant's House and retired to Bed at an early Hour. ---

Wednesday 16. May !
I this day inspected all the Public & Private Buildings in George-Town, whether already finished -- or now in progress. ---I also mustered all the several Gangs of Convicts -- the Female Convicts -- their Quarters and Gardens -- the Working Cattle, Carts &c. &c., including the Lumber Yard. ---It having come on to rain about the middle of the Day I was prevented from riding into the Interior.

Thursday 17. May 1821.
I rode out this morning after Breakfast, accompanied by Col. Cimitiere, Dr. Redfern, & Mr. Evans, to the Low Head (disce. 4 1/2 miles from Town), on which is erected the Signal Post and Pilot's House, and from whence there is an extensive view of Bass's Strait -- & fine prospect up the River Tamar. ---

From Low-Head, we took a ride in a North Easterly direction to look out for good Land fit for Tillage & Pasturage, and found a beautiful rich Valley 2 1/2 miles [long] & 300 yards broad within 4 miles of GeorgeTown fit to contain 18 Settlers at 30 acres each -- and excellent Land well-watered. ---I named this beautiful Tract of Land "Cimitiere Valley". ---We returned Home by a longer and more circuitous Route to George Town, and afterwards we paid a visit, before Dinner, to Capt. Townson at his Farm on the other side of the River opposite to George-Town, a very pretty situation -- and whither the Ladies had gone to visit in our absence; Lachlan being their only Beau! ---He also accompanied us thither. ---The Tamar here is a mile & a quarter Broad. ---We returned Home to Dinner.

Friday 18. May !
Received & answered various Memorials at George-Town, gave Names to the Streets and Square, and made other arrangements.

Saturday 19. May 1821 !
Having now completed my inspection of George-Town, and all my arrangements for the improvement of that Town, I determined on returning this morning to Launceston by Land, sending Mrs. M. & Lachlan by Water under the care of Lt. Col. Cimitiere in his Barge.

We accordingly took an early Breakfast, and bidding adieu to our kind Hostess Mrs. Cimitiere, we set forward on our respective Journies; [sic] Mrs. M. & Lachlan having embarked & set out by Water with Lt. Col. Cimitiere at Nine o'clock, and me accompanied by Dr. Redfern, Mr. Evans, and Denning (my Orderly Dragoon) on Horseback, by Land, at the same Hour. ---It was a very boisterous disagreeable morning and threatened Rain; but the Wind and Tide being both fair, the Barge was likely to have a short Passage to Launceston, and therefore I felt perfectly easy on the score of Mrs. M. and Lachlan getting safe thither.

As to us proceeding by Land, we hoped to get thither nearly as soon as the Boat -- and before it was dark; but the sequel proved the fallacy of our calculations. ---Anxious to ascertain the accuracy of the report of there being an extensive Tract of Good Land at the upper end of the "Eastern Arm" of the River Tamar, I had resolved on touching there on my [way] to Launceston, as it was only about 5 miles off the Road, and with this view had appointed Mr. Hubbard the Boat Builder and Mr. Moulds the Supdt. of Carpenters at George-Town (who were well acquainted with the Ground), to meet us on the Road to conduct us to the Eastern Arm. ---They accordingly met us on the Road 12 miles from George-Town, and conducted us to the Head of the Eastern Arm through a very broken rugged Forest Country, and so rocky as hardly to be practicable for a Horse. ---We got to the Eastern Arm, however, in about two Hours, and there found very fine Forest Land -- but rather too hilly for Cultivation --; but were assured by our Guides that about 3 miles further on there was a large Plain of Ten Mile in length running along the River, of very good & useful land fit for any purpose. ---We had every reason to believe this report from the appearance of the Land we were now on -- but the day was too far advanced to enable us to visit this new Tract, and therefore we determined on retracing our steps back again to the Main Road. ---With this view we took a man with us for a Guide, who pretended to know the way through the Bush better than either Hubbard or Moulds, both of whom we left at the Eastern Arm to return Home to George-Town by Water, they having a Boat at the former.

At 1/4 before 2 p.m. we set out with our new Guide to trace our way to the Road; but he led us by such a rough, intricate, circuitous Route & so full of rocks & underwood that it tool; us 2 1/2 Hours to gain the Road, which we did not do till a quarter past 4 o'clock. --- About an Hour after we left the Eastern Arm, we all of [a] sudden missed Denning the Dragoon -- which induced us to halt for several minutes to Halloo to him -- but not making his appearance we were obliged to proceed on without him concluding he would naturally follow the Track of our Horses. In this however we were disappointed as we reached the Road without seeing him; but directed the Guide on his way back to George-Town to look out for him, and bring him to the Road. ---Soon after our leaving the Eastern Arm, we had a thunder storm, with a very heavy fall of Rain -- which continued the remainder of the Day and Night. ---We proceeded on with all the speed we could after gaining the Main Road, but it was quite dark before we reached Fitzgerald's Farm, where however we did not halt above 2 or 3 minutes -- as it was a heavy pour of Rain and I was anxious to get on as quick as possible to Launceston. We learned at Fitzgerald[']s that Mrs. M. and Lachn., with Colonel Cimitiere, had called and staid there for 2 Hours, in hopes of our arrival -- and had then prosecuted their Voyage, after taking some refreshment, and we had reason to hope they would reach Launceston with Day-light. ---I was greatly concerned to find that Denning was still behind, as he had not made his appearance at Fitzgerald's, and the Night being excessively dark and boisterous. ---We got very well on for the first two Hours after leaving Fitzgerald's Farm, being only able to walk our Horses from the roughness of the Road and the extreme darkness of the Night. ---The Rain at this time fell in Torrents, accompanied with a great deal of thunder and vivid Lightning. ---We were all drenched to the Skin, cold, and uncomfortable -- not having tasted anything since Breakfasting at George-Town. ---In this state of things we lost our Road -- and knew not which way to move. We wandered about in various directions for about an Hour, and at length by great good fortune Dr. Redfern's mare found the Road by his throwing the Bridle on her Neck -- and allowing her to go her own way.

Having once more recovered the Road, we moved on very slowly and cautiously for fear of losing it again, Mr. Evans leading the way as our Guide.

We reached Launceston at 9 o'clock at Night, very much fatigued, after being 12 Hours on Horse-back; and on our arrival at Govt. House we found Mrs. M. and all our friends impatiently waiting for us -- and consequently all rejoiced to see us after our hard day's fatigues.

Mrs. M. & Lachn., with their good friend Lt. Col. Cimitiere, had arrived about 1/2 past 4 o'clock, all well, after their boisterous -- but speedy Voyage. ---I took some warm, Tea, bathed my feet, and went immediately to Bed; feeling myself more fatigued and exhausted than I had ever been before in the whole course of my life. ---

Sunday 20. May !
I got up this morning quite well and so much refreshed that I went to church -- and Called afterwards on Lt. Govr. Sorell, whom I was concerned to find still confined to the House with a severe cold and unable to go out. ---

No Tidings yet of poor Denning my Orderly Dragoon -- which gives me great uneasiness for his safety. ---I hired a Guide this Evening to go in quest of him. ---

Monday 21. May !
This morning at 9 o'clock, Poor Denning made his appearance to our great joy -- after great sufferings on Saturday night and the greater part of Sunday; being all that time lost -- and not having reached Fitzgerald's till late last Night. ---

Tuesday 22. May !
It rained all Day.

Wednesday 23. May !
Lt. Col. Cimitiere accompanied by Mr. Judge Advocate Wylde set out early this morning for George-Town. ---

Major & Mrs. Macleod arrived from Launceston and joined our Family Party here. ---

Thursday ---
A rainy day.

Friday ---
It rained all Day.

This Day I signed the Warrants for the execution of Nine Criminals tried at the last Criminal Court held lately at Launceston for various felonies vizt. 1 Patk. Kane, 2 Wm. Lloyd, 3 Robert Gilliard, 4 Jno. Morrell, 5 Danl. McCarthy, 6 Wm. Hyder, 7 Edward McCrackin, 8 Thos. Gutterlidge and 9 James Norris; the five former being directed to be executed on Wedy. the 30th. Inst. at Launceston, and the four last on Monday the 4th. of June at George-Town. ---

Saturday 26. May !
The Lt. Govr. dined with us today -- being a good deal recovered in his Health.

The Judge Advocate returned this afternoon from George-Town, accompanied by Lieut. Kenworthy. Mr. Beaumont Provost Marshal, Surgeon Priest, & Mr. Fryett arrived this day from Hobart Town. ---

Sunday 27. May 1821.
Lieut. Govr. Sorell set out this day on his return to Hobart Town, accompanied by Lieut. Robinson; -- it being our intention to set out for the same Place tomorrow. ---

Monday 28. May !
Sent off all our Baggage today at 11 o'clock, and at 1 p.m. followed it ourselves; Mrs. M. & Lachlan going in Mr. Archer's Gig & driven by him; Joseph not being able to drive safely from his having got intoxicated. ---All the Magistrates & principal Gentlemen waited on me at Govt. House to take leave and most of them rode out of Town for a couple of miles along with me and then took their leave.

I rode on Horseback, accompanied by the Judge Advocate and other Gentlemen of my Suite.

We reached the South Esk River a little before Dark, which being too full to be forded, we crossed in Mr. Gibson's Boat immediately under his House, where we took up our Quarters for the Night. ---It was too late to ferry over all our Baggage this night -- and it and the Carriage and Horses had to remain on the North side of the River till morning. ---Mrs. M. & Lachlan had got safely across the River and arrived at Gibson's before I came up to join them. ---

Mr. Gibson attended at the Ferry, with his People to convey us and part of our Baggage across, and was most civil and useful in rendering us every assistance in his power.

We had a good Dinner of Beef Steakes, [sic] & went early to Bed. The Road from Launceston is very bad.

Tuesday 29. May 1821.
Messrs. Archers & Cox came to Breakfast with us at Mr. Gibson's this morning. ---I have made this a halting & a Resting Day for our Servants & Cattle, as it will take the greater part of it to ferry them across the River. ---Went after Breakfast to see Mr. Archer's Farm on the Lake River disce. 4 miles; Mrs. M. & Lachn. having gone in his Gig, and I and my Suite on Horseback.

We also went to the confluence of the Lake River and South Esk 3 miles from Mr. Archer's Farm. ---We took Lunch at Mr. Archer's, and returned Home to Dinner after a most beautiful and interesting Ride through a very rich Tract of Country, & seeing Norfolk Plains on the opposite side of the Lake and South Esk-Rivers. ---

Wednesday 30th. May --
Sent off our Baggage early this morning so as to be a Stage before us, having resolved on remaining ourselves another day at Gibson's.

We all took a ride this forenoon to look at the New Punt now building for crossing the Esk, about 3 miles lower down the River than Gibson's. I fixed on the Place for the Public Ferry -- and also on the Site of a Township for this part of the Country adjoining the Ferry on a very rich Point of Land -- which I have named "Perth"; Mr. Gibson who is a native of that Town having promised to build a good Inn there directly. ---Perth is only 14 miles from Launceston -- and within three miles of Norfolk Plains. ---

Thursday 31. May 1821 !
We set out from Gibson's at 1/2 past 10 a.m. and arrived at our Camp on Elizabeth River at 4 p.m. disce. 27 miles. ---The Roads were bad, but the Country through which we passed (vizt. Bathurst, Henrietta, and Macquarie Plains) were beautiful and fertile. ---Having determined on establishing a Township on the North Bank of Elizabeth River, I have named it "Campbell-Town" in honor of Mrs. Macquarie's maiden name. ---This Township is most admirably well situated in every respect -- surrounded by a fine Rich Country and well watered.

Friday 1. June !
Set out from Campbell-Town at 1/4 past 12 o'clock, and arrived at the Govt. Stock-Yard in Argyle Plains at 1/2 past 1 p.m. disce. 7 miles only.

Saturday 2. June 1821 !
I named our last Night's station "Ross", in honor of H. M. Buchanan Esqr. -- that being the name of his Seat on Loch-Lomond in Scotland; this part of Argyle Plains on the Right Bank of the Macquarie River being very beautiful and commanding a noble view. ---

We set out from Ross at 10 a.m. and arrived at Wright's in York Plains at 1 p.m. Disce. 18 miles. ---In passing through Salt Pan Plains, named a pretty Peaked Hill "Mount Montague" on East side of the Plains. ---Named also a very high Hill, South of Antill Ponds, "Belle Vue" on account of the grand, fine, and beautiful Prospect from the Top of it.

Further on towards Wright's, passed a fine Springs called Tin-Dish-Hole, which I have changed into a fitter and more appropriate designation by calling them "Sorell Springs". ---Named three very beautiful Peaked Hills in York-Plains, "Mount Stewart", "Mount Robeck" and "Wylde's Hill".

Sunday 3. June 1821.
At 1/4 past 11 a.m. set out from Wright's Farm (now named "Meadow Banks") in York Plains. ---At 1/4 past 12 -- Halted at the Great Lagoon (about six miles from Wright's) in Westmoreland Plains, and fixed on the Site of a Township on the Banks of the said Lagoon, naming it "Oatlands". This is a most eligible situation for a Town being well watered -- and in the midst of a rich fertile Country; being 30 miles distant from Campbell-Town.

I afterwards named a pretty Valley, connecting Westmoreland with Woodford Plains, "Gordon Valley", -- in honor of the late Countess of Westmoreland's maiden Surname. ---At 1/2 past 2 p.m. we arrived at the Govt. Hut on the North side of Spring-Hill, where we took up our Quarters for the Night.

Monday 4. June 1821.
Sent off all our Baggage at 10 a.m. and at 11 a.m. followed it ourselves. ---The Baggage Carts found great difficulty in crossing and descending Spring Hill -- which is exceedingly steep -- and execrable bad road. ---This detained us very much -- and one Baggage Cart was upset going down the Hill. ---During this day's Journey I gave the following new names to different Places along our Track, vizt. "Curzon-Downs", ---"Meredith Forest" (called hitherto The Cross Marsh --) ---"Meredith-Peak", ---"Curzon-Peak" (so named in honor of Miss Meredith and Miss Curzon Friends of Mrs. Macquarie); passed thro' Glenforsa, and over Constitution Hill; arriving at Hayes's Farm on Bagdad Plains at 5 p.m. disce. 20 miles from Govt. Hut where we rested last Night. ---The last of [the] Baggage did not get up till 8 o'clock at Night. ---This House is by far the worst accommodation we have had during the Journey.

Tuesday 5. June 1821. ---
Our Baggage was sent off at 9 o'clock this morning, and we followed it at Ten ourselves.

At 11 a.m. Halted on Bagdad Plains, and fixed on the Site of a Township there on a Peninsula formed by the River Jordan and "Strathallan Creek" (so named now) possessing all the requisites for a Town of a plentiful supply of Water, rich fertile Country around it, and plenty of Stone for Building and within 3 miles of the River Derwent. ---I have named the intended Township "Brighton" in honor of our present gracious Sovereign's favorite place of residence.

The great Hill on the South East of the Town I have named "Mount Price", -- and another pretty Peaked Hill on the East of it "Harcourt Hill", in honor of Mrs. Macquarie's friends of those Names respectively. ---The fine Tract of Land on the West side of the Jordan, I have named (after Mrs. Macquarie's mother's Family Estate --) "Stonefield Plains". ---

After admiring the beautiful grand scenery in the vicinity of this new "Brighton", we pursued our Journey along the Plains to Austin's Ferry. ---On the Road thither we were met first by Mr. Thrupp, Free Settler, and afterwards by Major Bell. We stopped at the Farm of the Former -- about a mile off the Road, a pretty place, and which I have named "Thrupp Vale"-- at the Owner's own request.

Whilst I went to this Farm Mrs. M. with Lachn. proceeded in the Carriage to the Ferry in charge of Major Bell, and crossed it before my arrival there, -- which I did at 1/2 past 3 p.m. then crossed, and arrived at Austin's at 4 o'clock. ---Here we dined and took up our Quarters for the Night; Major Bell and Mr. Thrupp having staid to dine with us. ---

Wednesday 6. June !
After Breakfasting at Austin's, set out in the Carriage, with Mrs. Macquarie and Lachlan to visit the District of New Norfolk, Elizabeth Town &c. &c.

We arrived at the Government Cottage at 1/2 past 3 p.m. disce. 13 miles, the Road thither being very rough. ---The Cottage is a very pretty one; and afforded us excellent accommodation. ---It is built on a beautiful Point, forming a part of Elizabeth Town, almost surrounded by the River Derwent -- and "Lachlan's River" now so named ( -- being hitherto called the Thames which name is thus discontinued for the future) in honor of Lachlan; the Town being called after his Mother. ---Majors Bell and Taylor, Dr. Redfern, Mr. Evans, and Lt. Macquarie, were of our Party to New Norfolk, and we sat down at 5 o'clock to a very good Dinner at the Cottage.

Thursday 7. June 1821.
Set out after Breakfast in company with Major Bell, Dr. Redfern & Mr. Evans, to inspect the New Road now constructing thro' the Settlement of New Norfolk to the District named Macquarie -- and also to see the Farms on either side of the River. ---We rode as far as Mr. Thompson's Farm in the Macquarie District, about Ten miles from Elizabeth Town -- and then returned Home to Dinner. ---I named a lofty Hill opposite to Mr. Thompson's Farm "Mount Bell", and that part of the New Road constructed in the face of the Hill along the River Derwent, commencing at Elizabeth Town, I have named "Bell's Terrace", both in honor of Major Bell; great credit being due to this officer (in his Capacity of Engineer) for his zeal, activity, and skill in planning and constructing this and the other new Roads here and near Hobart Town.

After returning Home to the Cottage, I named a very high beautiful conical Hill to the Westward of Elizabeth-Town "Taylor's Peak" in honor of Major Taylor, now making one of our little Party. ---

Friday 8. June 1821.
Having seen the principal parts of the New Norfolk and Macquarie Districts and the new Roads now constructing in these Districts, as well as the Road made by Contract by the late Mr. Dennis McCarty, from Hobart Town to Elizabeth Town, we took leave of our friends in this Quarter and set out at 1 p.m. by water on our return to Hobart in a small Boat, preferring this mode of Travelling to going by Land on account of the badness of the Road between Elizabeth Town and Austin's Ferry.

Soon after setting out we called to inspect Mr. Terry's new Water Mill on the River Lachlan, close to Elizabeth Town, and after spending about Half an Hour there, we pursued our Voyage down the River Derwent -- which we found very pleasant -- the weather being very fine. ---We arrived at Austin's at a quarter past 4 p.m. where we found all our friends who had proceeded by Land waiting for us -- and all our Baggage -- as well as our Carriage safely arrived. ---Majors Bell & Taylor went on to Hobart Town. ---Dr. Scott & Lt. Robinson met us at Austin's and staid to dine with us there. ---We sat down to a very excellent Dinner at 1/2 past 5 o'clock.

Saturday 9. June 1821.
We got up rather late -- the morning being very dark and foggy -- and did not Breakfast till 11 o'clock. ---The Fog continued heavy till 1/2 past 12 o'clock; and having resolved on going by Water to Hobart Town, we set out in the Naval Officer's Boat at 1/4 before 1 p.m. ---Previous to leaving Austin's, Mrs. Macquarie & myself (after obtaining the sanction of Austin & his Partner Earl) named their Place "Roseneath" (the Seat of the Duke of Argyle on the River Clyde) on account of the great Beauty and very Picturesque Scenery of this Place and its similitude to [the place of] the same name in Scotland.

On our way to Hobart Town, we stopped at Risdon Cove to visit Major & Mrs. McLeod at their present residence there, -- and remained with them for about Half an Hour. ---We then pursued our Voyage in the midst of very heavy Rain -- and arrived at Hobart-Town, all safe at 1/4 past 4 o'clock; taking up our Quarters once more at Mr. Birch's after an absence of Five Weeks ! ---

Sunday 10. June 1821.
The Ship Caroline Capt. Taylor returned this day from Sydney which she left only on the 5th. Instant, being only 5 weeks absent from Hobart Town. ---I intend returning to Sydney in this ship -- and her Commander promises to be ready to sail by this day-fortnight !

Monday 11 June !!!
On opening the Post Office Mail this day, which lately was received by the Ship Marshal Wellington from England, I received a Letter from Mr. Goulburn Under Secry. of State, giving me Private information that Majr. Genl. Sir Thos. Brisbane K.C.B. had been selected by the King to succeed me as Govr. of N.S. Wales, and that he was expected to sail in February !

Wednesday 20. June 1821.
At 1/2 past 9 a.m. set out on a Tour of Inspection to the Districts of Pitt Water and Coal River accompanied by Lt. Govr. Sorell, Lt. Robinson, Dr. Redfern, Mr.Evans & Lt. Macquarie.

We ferried from Hobart Town to Kangaroo Bay (disce. 2 miles) where we found our Horses ready waiting for us -- and set out from thence at 10 o'clock; arrived at the Bluff on Pitt Water at 1/2 past 12 at Noon, disce. 10 miles, and ferried from thence to Pitt Water District, disce. 4 mile --, where we landed at 1/2 past 1 p.m. near Mr. Wade's Farm. ---We met several of the most respectable Settlers waiting there for us, along with Mr. Gordon the Magistrate of the District.

From the Landing Place we proceeded to the Ground intended for the site of the Township, which I named "Sorell" in honor of the Lt. Governor.

It is a beautiful commanding Piece of Ground, centrical for the District -- and well watered by a running stream; --a Jail has been already built here -- and I have now marked out the site of a School House and temporary Place of Worship. There is Water Carriage to this Town, which is highly advantageous.

From Sorell we proceeded to the Farm of Mr. Reardon disce. 2 miles, and took up our Quarters at his House, it being a very good one. ---

Our Servants and Baggage had arrived there the day before, and we sent our Horses round from the Bluff to the narrow Ferry of Pitt Water at Mr. Gordon's.---

Thursday 21. June !
We set out from Reardon's after Breakfast this morning at 1/2 past 10, to visit the several Farms of this beautiful rich District, returning Home by "Orielton Park" (the Farm of Mr. Edward Lord) and the Town of Sorell. ---We did not get back to Reardon's till past 5 o'clock; but I was very highly gratified with my day's Excursion. ---

Friday 22. June 1821 !
Intending to return Home by the District of the Coal River, we got up early this morning, and at 8 o'clock set out from Reardon's for the Coal River by the short Road. ---On the way we were met by Mr. Gunning and a number of respectable Settlers well mounted, who accompanied us to Mr. Gunning's Farm, where an excellent Breakfast awaited us, and of which we all partook very heartily. ---After viewing Mr. Gunning's beautiful Farm, new Garden, and other Improvements, we pursued our Journey Homewards, passing through the Farms of Messrs. Gavin, Staines, Troy, Carney, Col. Davey, Lt. Govr. Sorell &c. &c. -- and arrived at Kangaroo-Bay (the Ferrying Place) at 1/4 past 4 p.m.; Crossed immediately and landed at Hobart Town at 1/4 before 5 o'clock, having travelled at least 30 miles this day. ---I had the happiness of finding Mrs. Macquarie and Lachlan in good Health. ---

Saturday 23. June !
The Govt. Brig Eliz: Henrietta Capt. Gray, sailed this morning on her return to Port Jackson, with a Cargo of Govt. Wheat, Oil, and Wool -- and also a number of Prisoners & other Passengers. ---

Monday 25. June 1821.
I attended the Marriage of Miss Davey & Dr. Scott this day -- and gave her a Grant of 1000 acres of Land for her own exclusive use. ---

Tuesday 26. June 1821.
I entertained Lt. Govr. Sorell and all the Civil & Military Officers of Government, this day at Dinner -- being 28 in number at Table. ---

I inspected Major Bell's Company this forenoon at the Barracks.

In the afternoon the Ship Lady Ridley Commanded by Capt. Weir with 137 male Convicts on board, from England, anchored in the Harbour.

She sailed from Falmouth on the 23d. of January last.

Wednesday 27. June 1821.
I dined this day with Lt. Govr. Sorel [sic] --, who gave a fare-well Dinner in honor of my approaching Departure, having had all the Civil and Military officers of Govt. to meet me. ---

Thursday 28. June !
We had Major & Mrs. Bell, Mrs. Burn & Mr. Moodie to Dine with us in a Family way. ---The McLeods took leave.

Friday 29. June.
Lt. Govr. Sorell, Lt. Robinson, and Lt. Marshall dined with us today in a Family way; previous to our departure. ---

Saturday 30. June 1821.
Having engaged my Passage on the Ship Caroline Capt. Taylor for returning to Port Jackson, the Ship being reported ready, and all the objects of my Tour of Inspection to Van Diemen's Land being now completed, this day was fixed on for my Embarkation; previous to which, however, I visited the Jail, attended by the Lt. Govr., Judge Advocate Wylde & the Magistrates, and on the occasion of my departure, I ordered Twenty one Prisoners confined under slight sentences to have mercy extended to them -- and to be released.

At 12 o'clock I went to the Govt. House, where I was waited upon by all the Civil Officers of Government, the Military being drawn up there to receive me; and after receiving their compliments, I proceeded to the Wharf accompanied by [the] Lt. Governor and all the Civil Officers -- and where I was met by all the Principal Inhabitants of the Town -- who gave me three Cheers on my leaving the Wharf in the Government Barge -- a Salute of 19 guns commencing firing at the same time from Mulgrave's Battery.

Mrs. Macquarie went to pay some visits in Town on my leaving our Quarters at Birch's, and embarked from the Naval Officer's Wharf quietly by herself in a different Boat, accompanied by Mrs. Scott; ---Lachlan, accompanied by Master Edmund Sorell ( -- who proceeds under our Protection to Sydney to be placed at the Revd. Mr. Reddall's Academy) and Charley Whalan, having gone on board with me. ---The Honble. Mr. Judge Advocate Wylde also embarked with me on board the Caroline on his return to Sydney -- as did likewise Major Taylor and Doctor Redfern. ---We got on board the Caroline at 1 o'clock -- and Mrs. Macquarie in about a quarter of an Hour after us.

The Caroline got under weigh at 2 p.m. -- and Lt. Govr. Sorell -- and our other shore friends, then bid us adieu and returned on shore. ---

Mr. Theodore Bartley, our dear Boy's Tutor, has remained in Van Diemen's Land, at his own particular request to become a Free Settler there. ---We have asked Capt. Taylor of the Caroline to live with us during the Voyage to Sydney, and he has accepted our invitation. ---

The Wind was Northerly and consequently very favorable for carrying us out of the Harbour -- which we cleared, and got out to Sea by 5 o'clock in the Evening -- when the Pilot left us. I wrote a short Note by him to Lt. Govr. Sorell.

Sunday 1. July 1821.
We made tolerable good progress during last Night, but the Wind is quite adverse this morning, blowing very strong from the Northward, & accompanied by a heavy swell and rolling Head-Sea, occasioning much disagreeable motion, and making one & all of us very sick, with the exception of Lachlan and our Commander; the former standing it out most manfully.

Monday 2. July 1821.
We found ourselves this morning abreast of the Schouten Islands. ---The Weather is clear -- and the Wind more moderate -- but still blowing from the Northward, so as not to admit of our making much progress in our Voyage. ---Soon after Sunset it came on to blow very fresh and the Sea rose very high, occasioning a great deal of motion -- which continued all Night.

Tuesday 3d. July !
The Wind still continuing foul, Capt. Taylor determined to bear up for Oyster Bay -- about Twenty miles to the Southward of us, to take shelter there and wait a change of Wind.

At 9 a.m. we bore away for Oyster Bay -- but by Noon the Wind suddenly died away and we were becalmed. ---

At Sunset stood out from the Land, it threatening to blow fresh -- which it did all Night -- with a heavy sea.

Wednesday 4. July !
The Wind this morning continuing still foul, we stood away for Oyster Bay -- where we anchored at 1/2 past 2 p.m. about 2 miles from either shore, the Maria Islands, which form this Bay, being due East of our anchorage, which appears a safe and well sheltered one. ---

Thursday 5. July !
The Wind still continues adverse, blowing a strong gale from the Northward. At Noon, the weather being moderate, Mrs. M. Lachn. Teddie, & Charley, and myself went in one of the Whale Boats a fishing to a small Island near the anchorage --; but came back without success after rounding the Island, it being too cold & windy for fishing. ---This small Island, which is covered with Grass, and is situated within one mile of the Main Land and about 3 miles from Maria Island, I have named "Lachlan's Island", in honor of our dear Boy -- and to commemorate his name in this part of the Australian World! ---

Friday 6. July !
The Wind continues still Northerly and blowing a hard gale at Sea. ---We are therefore Constrained to remain at our first anchorage in this Sound. Our stock of Sheep getting rather low in flesh, they were sent on shore early this morning to feed on Lachlan's Island. ---

Boats were also sent to the shore of the Main Land to procure a supply of Fresh Water.

Saturday 7. July !
The Wind still continues adverse and we consequently remain at our original anchorage. ---

Sunday 8. July !
It blew very fresh all last Night at North; but this morning it shifted round to the Westward -- and by 11 o'clock blew a strong gale from West and by South. ---In the course of the afternoon, a Boat was sent to Lachlan Island for the Sheep -- which were all brought safe on board by 4 o'clock. The Wind having come still more round to the South, we weighed anchor [anchor] and sailed from Maria Sound at Half past 5 p.m., and cleared the Entrance of the Sound (formed by the Schouten Islands) by 8 o'clock. ---We then steered a Northerly Course a little Easterly -- with the wind at South West blowing a smart Gale.

Monday 9. July !
It blows a hard Gale this morning -- with a very high Sea. ---

It continued so the whole of this day with much motion.

Tuesday 10. July 1821.
We had a very heavy Gale all last night with a high cross Sea, and most dreadful motion, which continued all this day -- so much so as not to admit of our going upon Deck at all the whole day and the Dead Lights were put in yesterday afternoon. ---We had the misfortune to lose our Carriage Horse Loftie this day owing to the violent motion and aggitation [sic] of the ship principally. ---The other two Horses have stood it out pretty well. ---

Wednesday 11. July !
The last night was like the former, blowing a most severe gale with a dreadful high sea all day. ---At 4 a.m. the Sea began to fall -- and the weather became more moderate.

At Day-break we made the Land nearly abreast of the Pigeon House about 100 miles south of Port Jackson.

At Noon we were abreast of Shoal Haven, and at 5 p.m. we were abreast of Illawarra or the 5 Islands. ---

Thursday 12. July 1821 !
At 1 a.m. we entered within the Heads -- and the Night being very light the Comr. of the Ship determined to work up the Harbour notwithstanding the Wind being unfavourable -- and no Pilot having come on board. ---At 5 a.m. we anchored in Sydney Cove, close to Mrs. Macquarie's Stairs -- unknown to any one. ---We found the Dauntless Frigate commanded by Capt. Gambier, and H.M. Storeship Coromandel Commanded by Capt. Downie, lying in the Harbour; the former being lately Ceylon bound to South America, and the latter about a month since from New Zealand with Spars & Timber for Naval purposes, so far on her way- to England. ---

The Harbour was almost full of other Ships and Vessels from various parts of the World. ---

We landed from the Caroline at 8 a.m. quite in a private manner, which was at my own request, and found all belonging to us at Government House well & safe. ---

As soon however as it was known on board the two Ships that I had arrived in the Harbour, they both saluted me, and which Honor I directed to be returned from the Batery [sic] at Dawse's Point. ---

Copyright © 1998-2009 Macquarie University.
All rights reserved.