Actuarial Co-op program Selection Process
Bachelor of Actuarial Studies with the degree of Bachelor of Professional Practice
Our new Bachelor of Actuarial Studies with the degree of Bachelor of Professional Practice offers students the opportunity to participate in Macquarie’s cooperative education program (Co-op). This highly competitive course will see students alternate between classroom studies and workplace experience in the form of three work placements of three to six months each throughout their course. Co-op students will develop professional skills and networks across different workplace settings and use their practical experiences in the classroom. Co-op students receive a scholarship for the duration of the course.
How are Co-op students selected?
Co-op students are selected based on academic merit and an assessment of their motivation, qualities and skills.
Applicants must meet all the criteria:
- completing or have completed the HSC (or equivalent)
- studying or have studied HSC Mathematics Extension 2 (or equivalent)
- show a genuine interest and motivation to enter the actuarial profession
- be active in school and/or community activities
- be able to demonstrate exceptional communication, teamwork, problem solving, innovation, service and leadership skills
- be an Australian/New Zealand citizen or permanent visa holder
- be expecting or have achieved a minimum selection rank of 98.5 (which includes a maximum of 5 Educational Access Scheme adjustment points, if eligible). Students expecting a selection rank of 97 or above are strongly encouraged to apply. No adjustment points (except Educational Access Scheme) will be considered for this requirement.
Applicants apply via an online portal and are required to submit a one-page résumé and a 2-3 minute video of themselves responding to three specific questions. For students completing their HSC (or equivalent) in 2018, their school will be asked to provide their most recent HSC (or equivalent) trial results and an academic reference.
The applicant must also apply through the University Admissions Centre (UAC) and select Bachelor of Actuarial Studies with the degree of Bachelor of Professional Practice (300230) as one of their preferences to gain admission to the program.
Applications opened on 30 April 2018.
Applications close at 5:00pm (AEST) on 28 September 2018.
If their application is successful, they will be contacted in early November 2018 to schedule an interview at Macquarie University during the week of 26-30 November 2018.
If the applicant is successful at interview, they’ll receive a conditional offer for the Bachelor of Actuarial Studies with Bachelor of Professional Practice Co-op program, pending all final ATAR (or equivalent admissions rank) results.