Hire an intern
We are committed to the academic and professional development of our students and to offering industry a range of ways to engage with our talented and motivated students.
Benefits of hosting an intern
Hosting a Macquarie intern is a great way to:
- Engage with talented and motivated students
- Access future international and local graduates of the highest caliber
- Enhance the capacity of your organisation
- Undertake projects specific to the skills and knowledge of an intern
- Contribute to the development of your industry's future workforce
- Benefit from a fresh perspective in your organisation
- Develop educational and industry links with Macquarie University
- Access the latest academic thought in your discipline.
Vocational internships (part of a degree program)
Macquarie's PACE (Professional and Community Engagement) Program is dedicated to providing opportunities for students across all disciplines to engage with the community through a range of workplace activities. Students gain academic credit through work experience in the industry/ workplace activities.
Please contact PACE directly if you are looking for an intern or are interested in engaging with the University by setting up an internship program with Macquarie University.
A number of Masters degrees also offer internships to students as part of their study program, including:
Faculty of Arts
- Master of International Communication
- Master of International Relations
- Master of Politics and Public Policy
- Master of Counter Terrorism
- Master of Policy and Applied Social Research
Macquarie Business School
- Master of Commerce
- Master of International Business
- Master of International Business with the degree of Master of International Communication
- MGSM MBA Management Internship Program
- Master of Accounting (Advanced)
- Master of Actuarial Practice
- Master of Applied Economics
- Master of Banking and Finance
- Master of International Business with the degree of Master of International Relations
- Master of Biotechnology
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Vocational internships generally run within one or more sessions each year:
- Session one: March - June
- Winter vacation: July
- Session two: August - November
- Session three: December - January
- MGSM Management Internship runs 4 terms per year (January - March, April - June, July - September, September - November)
Interns are only covered under Macquarie's Personal Accident, and General and Product Liability insurance for the duration of their internship if they conduct their internship through PACE, or, if their internship assists them in meeting their degree requirements. If you engage a Macquarie University student outside of PACE, Macquarie University can now pay for the student's insurance in most cases outside of allied health and psychology-related placements. Should you not be able to offer insurance, please tell the student to visit the Career and Employment Service in the MUSE building on campus. We are happy to advise them on this matter.
All international students are also required to take out compulsory International Students Health Cover, which provides private cover equivalent to the Australian Medicare benefit.
Paid internships (not part of a degree program)
Employers wanting to advertise paid internship positions can post these for free on our online jobs board CareerHub.
Unpaid internships (not part of a degree program)
Macquarie University is only able to advertise unpaid internships that abide by the Fair Work Act. Please be aware that according to the Fair Work Ombudsman unpaid internships should only be with a voluntary, or Not-for-Profit organisation, or be of observatory nature within a business environment. If you require the student to perform productive activities within the business, the student is considered an employee and is entitled to be paid as such.
Internships can be posted free of charge on our online job board CareerHub.
Registered not-for-profit organisations can advertise voluntary opportunities free of charge on our online job board CareerHub.
Our host guidelines provide further information on how to hire a Macquarie University intern and how to structure their program so it is beneficial for both parties.