Your gift to Macquarie will play an important role in supporting and shaping the future of our University and our world.
People give for many reasons. Some wish to:
- support areas of strategic importance to the University through unrestricted funds such as through The Vice-Chancellor's Fund or our Buy A Seat program
- support specific causes such as research into medical priorities or scholarships to promote learning opportunities for specific groups of students
- create a scholarship or prize to provide recognition of academic achievement in particular units or programs of study
- leave a legacy through a bequest that will support future generations of students
- help the development of new technologies and skills
- support teaching by establishing professorial positions or endowed chairs
Many donors see their gift as a way of saying thank you for their education at Macquarie and an opportunity to give back.
Macquarie stories - making a difference
"During my working career I often wondered what I could do to acknowledge how grateful I was to Macquarie University for helping me not only achieve my goal of attaining a B.A. Dip. Ed. but also how proud my achievement made my family. I contemplated sending an annual donation but this did not seem to fully satisfy an internal need of doing something worthwhile. Then in December 2012 I received Professor Dowton's letter telling me not only his story but also Tara Djokic's story. It was if a light bulb went off in my head - I realised I had an affiliation with them both so I could now contribute, albeit in a small way, to a worthwhile cause and have my donation used in a positive way."
"I am extremely grateful for this assistance as it helps a lot when buying things such as textbooks, class supplies and transport expenses. It has also helped me save money for two exchange programs.
If I could meet the people who donated towards my scholarship I would thank them immensely and express how truly grateful I am for their continuing support and for providing rural students with the opportunity to study at Macquarie University."
"Receiving the Macquarie Accommodation Scholarship meant I could relocate from regional NSW. Without scholarship support, I would not have been able to study at a tertiary level. Not only did this scholarship help to cover living costs and equipment such as textbooks, it has allowed me to follow my passion for education - something that would have otherwise been unachievable."