Macquarie University has approximately 4,500 parking spaces on campus available to staff, students and visitors. Parking is operated under a Restricted Parking Area scheme and parking fees apply.
Macquarie University carpark vacancies - go online for live data click the image below.
We've just launched a technology-based, pay-as-you-go (PAYG) parking system for students, Sport and Aquatic Centre users and general visitors. This system shows which of our North Ryde Campus carparks have vacant spaces as well as offering greater choice of payment based on usage. For further details see below.
Staff will use the existing display permit system until end April 2019.
Macquarie University car parks prioritise staff and students and there is casual parking for visitors. Rates are higher for visitors whereas students and staff with a current Macquarie University ID will pay a student or staff rate. Please refer to the information below that best applies to you.
Smarter parking for students at Macquarie University is now available. The digital parking system is supported by dynamic signage showing which carparks have vacancies. Student parking is self-managed online via an app from our provider, CellOpark.
Important tips to remember
- Choose ONE option, either PAYG or vPermit (no need for both)
- vPermit queries - email email@example.com and the team will assist you. Correct student email addresses need to be used when registering for vPermit. Undergrads use @students.mq.edu.au. HDR students must use @hdr.mq.edu.au.
- Reversal - PAYG (CellOpark) for students charged at an incorrect parking rate, this will be reversed. No funds were transferred as CellOpark’s billing cycle is 24 October.
- Fix – PAYG (CellOpark). Go into your account and re-enter your Macquarie University student ID number and click ‘update’. This can be done via app or online.
- In-person support – come and see us outside MUSE this Thursday 11 October 10:00am – 2:00pm for help with PAYG or vPermit.
- There is a parking amnesty in place this week so don’t stress!
Cost - do the calculator test
When deciding which option suits you best, estimate how often you park on campus, taking into consideration session breaks. Please select just ONE option:
The following parking rates apply until 30 April 2019 at which time they will be subject to review and apply between 6:00am and 6:00pm, Monday to Saturday.
Register to pay for parking - select PAYG or vPermit or Reserved display permit
When registering you will need:
- Macquarie University student ID number
- correct student email address (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for PhD students)
- have a credit or debit card ready and complete the registration in one session - system may time out
- car registration number (add multiple cars and remember to select in your account, which one you've parked on campus each time)
PAYG - pay as you go, charged by the minute
Cost* $1.00 per hour, capped at a maximum of $6.00 per day, between 6:00am and 6:00pm, Monday to Saturday.
QR code When on campus, scan the code located on parking signs inside each carpark
Telephone Call 02 8599 9747 and follow the prompts
vPermit - October 2018 to 30 April 2109
Purchasing a virtual permit is an option for students who park on campus a lot. Cost is $234.00
pro-rata until 30 April 2019.
Online only https://vpermit.com.au/mq/Account/Register
NOTE: registration will time out and if you abandon the process you may be locked out.
Reserved display permit - via Cashier's office
Complete the Reserved Display Permit form and take to the Cashier's office (Level 0, 16 Wally's Walk)
Cost $950.00 (1 October 2018 to 30 April 2019)
How do I get help?
The Cashier's office does not handle student parking payments or enquiries, except for the Reserved display permit. Student parking is self-managed using the CellOpark app or online at vpermit.com.au/mq.
Enquiries about vPermit - email firstname.lastname@example.org
Can multiple vehicles be registered?
Yes, as part of the online sign-up process. Just select on the app which car is being parked on campus when starting a parking session - do this on the platform you have registered with - PAYG (CellOpark) or vPermit.
Where can students park? - see map
Green (West 3, South 2) General parking
Yellow (West 4 and 5 and North 3) General parking
Blue (West 6 and sports fields) General parking
Pink (East 6) for MGSM students only
East 2 and East 4 carparks will no longer be available for student parking.
Please note that until end April 2019, rates will be the same across these zones. After this time, rates for each zone will be subject to review.
The display permit system will remain in use for staff parking until end April 2019 when annual permits expire. To apply for a staff parking permit you will need a current Macquarie University ID, then:
- Fill in the Application form (also available from the Cashier's Office)
- Take to the Cashier's Office (Level 0, 16 Wally's Walk)
Cost from 1 October
Permanent and fixed-term staff can obtain parking permits, except monthly permits, by salary sacrifice. Permit options for staff are as follows:
- 2018 seven-month permit (October 2018 to end April 2019): $278.00
- 2019 four-month permit (January 2019 to end April 2019): $160.00
- 2018/2019 monthly permit (ends April 2019): $40.00
- 2018 seven-month Reserved permit (October 2018 to end April 2019): $950.00
Where can staff park? see map
Staff can use the General (yellow, blue and green) and Staff Only carparks (purple).
Chancellery and MGSM carpark permits are via the appropriate permission
Reserved – guarantees a parking space on Level 3 East 3 and West 3 undercover
Childcare centre permit
Permits are available for Childcare Centre users - see your childcare centre provider for an application form.
There is no cost for these permits and users can park for up to 30 minutes in areas marked 'P30 Minutes Set Down' located near childcare centres on campus but are not valid for parking elsewhere on campus.
Lost or stolen permits
All lost or stolen permits must be reported immediately to Security either by phone (9850 7112 or ext 7112), or in person (visit the Library Security shopfront). You will need to fill out a Lost/Stolen Permit Report and also provide a Statutory Declaration prior to receiving a replacement permit. Replacement permit cost is $40.
Recovered lost or stolen permits must be returned to the Security office as soon as possible. Use of a lost or stolen permit will result in an Infringement Notice being issued.
Refunds and exchanges
No exchange or refund is available for outdated, unused permits. No exchange of casual or short-term entry fees or/for monthly periodical permits will be made.
If a vehicle is disposed of, the permit must be removed and the University notified. The University Council reserves the right through the Vice-Chancellor to withdraw and cancel any permit without assigning a reason.
A refund may be granted for the return the four and seven-month permits but not monthly permits.
A valid permit must be visibly displayed on the driver's side of the windscreen when parked on Campus. Fines may apply for non-compliance.
Casual and visitor
0-1 hour: $10
1-2 hours: $15
2-3 hours: $20
3-4 hours: $25
4-5 hours: $30
5-6 hours: $35
6+ hours: $40
Ticket dispensing machines accept gold coins, debit and credit cards. The valid ticket must be clearly displayed, printed side up on the dashboard on the driver's side.
Where can I park?
See the attached parking map for ticket machine locations.
Sport and Aquatic Centre
Macquarie University carparks use an online/app that manages a pay-as-you-go (PAYG) system available for Sport and Aquatic Centre members and casual visitors to use at a discounted rate of $1.50 per hour.
In order to register with the digital parking payment system and pay the discounted rate, members will need to complete the parking registration form here: https://it-mqu.formstack.com/forms/parking_registrations
Members can also complete this process with Reception staff at the front desk of the Sport and Aquatic Centre.
After making contact to provide details, members will receive an email from our PAYG parking operator, CellOpark, with a link to register. Click on the link and follow the online registration instructions provided. Head online to www.cellopark.com.au to learn more about PAYG parking.
Non-member casual visitors
For casual users of the pool, other facilities or to attend classes, the rate of $1.50 per hour will also be available. To receive this rate, do not use the ticket machines, please head straight to reception to pay for parking.
Where to park? see map
Yellow (West 4 and 5 and North 3)
Blue (West 6)
- Save time - gain more personal time to spend with friends and family and take advantage of T2 and T3 lanes
- Save money - car-pooling with just one person cuts increasing fuel costs by half
- Reduce your carbon emissions
- Peace of mind - sharing a ride relieves the stress of the daily traffic pain. Reduce the stress of your commute and arrive more relaxed
- Get priority parking on campus
- Carpool parking permits allows registered applicants to park within car parking spots marked “Carpool – Special Permit Required”
- A Carpool parking permit is a virtual permit and linked to your nominated vehicle registration(s)
- Nominated vehicle registration(s) amendments must be made in writing to security’s client services officer.
- Carpool parking permit holders are required to travel with a minimum of two persons in their vehicle when using a dedicated Carpool parking area.
- Carpool parking permits are not transferable to another non-registered person or vehicle.
- Carpool parking permit holders may have their permit disqualified upon breaching any of these conditions of use
- A carpool parking permit does not permit parking in the absence of a valid Macquarie University car parking permit.
Where to park
Rules and infringements
Hours of operation
Student parking rates apply between 6:00am and 6:00pm, Monday to Saturday.
Visitor and Gym and Aquatic Centre parking rates apply between 6:00am and 8:00pm, seven days per week.