Sport Leader Program
Do You Want to Get into the Sport and Fitness Industry? Apply to Join Our Sport Leader Program!
We want to bring together motivated future leaders of the sport and fitness industry and enable the opportunity to grow a peer support network - and we're doing this through the Macquarie University Sport Team Leader Program. Click through the information below to learn about the program, if it's for you and how to apply.
About the Sport Leader Program:
In 2016 Macquarie University Sport introduced the Sport Leader Program to bring together motivated future leaders of the Sport and Fitness industry to enable them the opportunity to grow a peer support network.
The program is targeted towards recent graduates (or due to complete within 6 months) in the field of sport (inclusive of an undergraduate degree, TAFE certificate or relevant qualification); OR an elite athlete; OR you’ve high levels of experience; who wish to establish to learn and develop focus on gaining basic professional skills, hands on managerial opportunities, leadership development opportunities, as well as building on their business and industry awareness and exposure, gaining opportunities to manage projects, become proficient in financial resourcing and be enabled to take the next steps into the Sport and Fitness industry.
The program has been developed with a 70:20:10 approach to learning;
- 70% - relevant on-the-job experiences, tasks, and problem solving – we want you to put your theory and knowledge into practice
- 20% - mentoring from leaders across the business and industry
- 10% - formal training and qualifications
The learning and development focus over the first year will be basic professional skills, hands on managerial opportunities and leadership development. While in the second year you will be able to build on your business and industry awareness and exposure, gain opportunities in project management, financial resourcing and be enabled to take your next steps into the sport and fitness industry.
Once you have successfully completed your two years you will take away a portfolio of achievements, training and experiences allowing you to stand out in this fast paced and dynamic industry.
Is the Sport Leader Program For Me?:
Is this you?
- You’re passionate and committed, and want to be involved in the sport and fitness industry
- You’re looking for a long-term career in sport and fitness
- You’re either a recent graduate (or due to complete within 6 months) in the field of sport (inclusive of an undergraduate degree, TAFE certificate or relevant qualification); OR an elite athlete; OR you’ve high levels of experience
- You have relevant qualifications
- You have a current Working with Children Check, First Aid and CPR certification (or willing to obtain)
- You’ve a demonstrated commitment to the Campus Life values
The selection process will involve the following:
- First Round Interview: A face to face panel interview.
- Second Round Interview: A presentation to the Sport Manager and General Manager, Sport & Recreation.
- Reference Checks: Of your current/most recent employer and previous employer.
How to Apply for the Sport Leader Program:
Any opportunities to join the Macquarie University Sport, Sport Leader Program, are usually advertised on both Sportspeople and Seek. Click through to the respective links to see if there is a current vacancy and role suitable for you!
You will be asked to provide an up-to-date Curriculum-Vitae (CV) and cover letter, and how your love and passion for sport will enable you to stand out from the crowd.
Macquarie University Sport is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we aim to promote diversity. All applications will be considered. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Australia.
Contact Us About the Sport Leader Program:
If you've seen a particular role advertised that you're interested in knowing about, please contact us on 9850 7636 and ask to speak to the hiring manager of that particular role. Alternatively, send your enquiry to this page.
Content owner: Campus Sport Last updated: 10 Sep 2019 9:59am