Fire or smoke
Raise the alarm
- If safe to do so ensure the immediate safety of anyone within the vicinity of the fire
- Close doors to contain the fire
- If not already activated, raise the alarm by:
- breaking the glass alarm panel (red) or
- by shouting 'Fire, Fire, Fire'
- Dial 9999 (or 9850 9999 from a mobile phone)
- Give your name
- Campus location - building number and level
- Room number
- Type and extent of the fire/smoke
- Evacuate the immediate area and inform your supervisor or Building Warden, if safe to do so
- The University does not expect staff or students to fight a fire unless:
- Your exits are blocked by fire, and your personal safety is compromised, or
- You are trained in the use of fire equipment, and it is safe to extinguish the fire
- Ensure that you always use the correct fire extinguisher, if you do attempt to use to extinguish a fire
Do NOT use an extinguisher if:
- You are not comfortable putting out the fire
- Heavy smoke is filling the room or it is difficult to breathe
- Your escape route could be blocked.
- The fire is large or spreading rapidly
- The fire is partially hidden behind a wall or ceiling.
- There are hazardous materials (flammable liquids) present.
If the above listed conditions exist, close any doors present and evacuate instead.
How to use a fire extinguisher:
- Pull the pin at the top of the extinguisher
- Aim low pointing the extinguisher nozzle at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent
- Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until the fire is extinguished