Penalty structure for overdue Library items
The Library has a simple and fair approach to overdue items that results in suspension of privileges rather than incremental fines.
Items on loan will become overdue if they are not renewed by the due date. Items cannot be renewed if they have been recalled.
- You will get a reminder email before your item's due date
- If your items become overdue your borrowing rights will be immediately suspended
- If you don't return the item, you will then receive an email invoice for replacement costs plus an administration fee
- If items are subsequently returned, the replacement costs will be waived, but the administration fee stands
- All outstanding Library charges will prevent you from re-enrolling, graduating, accessing your academic transcripts and exam results
- All outstanding items must be returned before borrowing rights are reinstated
- Student Library fees are transferred to the Cashier’s Office once a month and then will no longer be visible on MyLibrary. They can be paid via E-Student. Staff and Community member fees will remain on MyLibrary but should be paid through the Cashiers Office.
- Fees can also be paid via BPay. The BPay code is 50443 and the reference is the OneID.
High demand items such as Reserve and recalled items will move to invoice stage more quickly than standard items (see below).
How to avoid penalties
- Return borrowed items by due date
- Ensure items on loan to you are returned to the Library before travelling
- Check your My Library account regularly
- Check your email for Library notifications. These are sent to your official Macquarie University email address (staff and students) or the email address specified on your application (Community borrowers)
Review My Library regularly to:
- Check when your loans are due
- Renew loans before they become overdue
- Check if any loans have been recalled
|Borrowing blocked until item returned or renewed||Yes|
|Regular loans||After 60 days - Invoice $150 for replacement costs plus $25 administration fee|
|Reserve (3 hr loan)||Invoice $200 for replacement costs next business day plus $25 administration fee|
|Laptops (24 hr loan)||After 1 day - invoice $3520 for replacement costs plus $25 administration fee|
|Self-Serve Kiosk Laptops (4 hour loan)||After 1 day - invoice $2304.50 for replacement costs plus $25 administration fee|
|Laptop locker keys (24 hour loan)||After 2 days - invoice $150 for replacement costs plus $25 administration fee|
|Muse Headbands||After 2 days - invoice $405 for replacement costs plus $25 administration fee|
|Serials (ARC)||After 2 days- invoice $150 for replacement costs plus $25 administration fee|
|Interlibrary loans||Lost items invoiced for replacement cost by supplying library|
|Recalled items||After 2 days from recall due date - invoice $150 for replacement costs plus $25 administration fee|