Anxiety in poor readers: Evidence, assessment, and intervention

Anxiety in poor readers: Evidence, assessment, and intervention

buffer

Register Now

buffer

Overview:

Date: Monday 9th November 2020

Time: 1:30pm-5:00pm

Location: Live-stream on Zoom

Early bird cost: $220 per person (register before the 12th of October to receive this discounted rate)

Standard cost: $270 per person (discounts are available for multiple enrolments, MQ Staff, and MQ students)

Presenters: Professor Genevieve McArthur & Dr Deanna Francis

Course materials: A course workbook including all materials will be provided via mail prior to the day of the workshop

Level: Proficient Career Stage

NESA Accreditation:

Completing this course will contribute to 3 hours of NESA Registered Professional Development (12 hours in total if both days are attended) addressing 6.2.2, 6.3.2 and 2.4.2 from Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.


Description of workshop:

The goal of this workshop is to equip people with an understanding of the scientific evidence for mental health difficulties in poor readers (particularly anxiety), provide guidance on how to identify if a child with poor reading might be suffering from anxiety, and what treatment options are available for such children.

About the speakers:

Professor McArthur is the Director of the Macquarie University Reading Clinic, Head of the Department of Cognitive Science at Macquarie University, and co-Director of the Macquarie University Centre for Reading. Over the last 20 years, she has held positions at the University of Western Australia, Curtin University, Oxford University, and Macquarie University. The goal of her research is to determine what causes reading and language impairments in children, and discover how these impairments should be best treated. She is an active advocate for the rapid translation of scientific evidence into clinical practice.

Dr Francis has a PhD in anxiety disorders in children with poor reading. She is also a treatment clinician at the Macquarie University Reading Clinic. The goal of her research is to understand if there is an association between poor reading and anxiety, how such an association is formed, how anxiety can be assessed in poor readers, and how to best treat anxiety in poor readers.

About the workshop:

This workshop comprises three parts:

Part 1 focuses on scientific research. It considers the evidence for an association between poor reading and emotional problems, the cognitive profiles of poor readers with emotional problems, and the causal mechanisms that may link poor reading to anxiety (and vice versa).

Part 2 focuses on practicalities. It will provide guidance - based on recent research - on how to identify anxiety in children with poor reading in the classroom and in the clinic.

Part 3 focuses on both science and practice. It outlines a new and unique combined intervention for reading and anxiety problems, and discusses the current scientific evidence supporting that intervention.

Workshop outcomes:

By the end of the workshop, attendees should have a good understanding of the existing scientific evidence for reading and emotional problems in children - particularly anxiety. They should also have an awareness of how to detect if a child with poor reading might be suffering from anxiety, and what treatment options are available for such children.

Who should/should not attend? Any prerequisites, assumed/required knowledge:

This workshop will be useful for people who need to make decisions about treating literacy problems; for example, teachers, special educators, psychologists, school counsellors, speech pathologists, ophthalmologists, occupational therapists, and medical practitioners.

Cancellation policy:

1. If a registrant cancels before the registration deadline of 2 weeks before the workshop, 80% of the fee will be refunded. The remaining 20% will be kept as an administration fee.

2. No refund is available after the registration deadline. However, another person may attend in your absence. At the discretion of the Macquarie University Reading Clinic, an 80% refund may be offered on production of a medical certificate.


Registration deadline: 2 weeks before workshop.

Current MQ staff and MQ full time students are eligible for a discount. The MQ staff and student discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other discount.


Register Now

Content owner: Reading clinic Last updated: 13 Oct 2020 5:43pm

Back to the top of this page