How to teach phonics in Foundation-2 (online course)
We’re seeking expressions of interest in a new online workshop on how to teach phonics in Foundation – Grade 2. The workshop will be available from July 2019.
Time: TBA (5 hours, online workshop)
Cost: $500 per person
Course materials: Participants work through pre-recorded audiovisual content in their own time. A course workbook will also be provided.
Description of workshop:
This online workshop will present evidence-based techniques for teaching phonics in primary school. At the end of the workshop, teachers will have a concrete plan for teaching phonics in their own classroom.
By the end of this workshop, you should be equipped with better knowledge of:
- the importance of phonics in learning how to read and spell;
- the rules of English phonics — the letter-sound correspondences used for reading and sound-letter correspondences used for spelling;
- phonemic awareness and its place in word reading and spelling;
- how to teach word reading and spelling with explicit and systematic instruction in phonics and phonemic awareness (e.g., the order in which to teach phonics rules; activities to use in class);
- how to measure student progress and identify students at risk of learning difficulties in reading and spelling;
- how to differentiate teaching in a diverse classroom;
- some resources available for teaching phonics.
Structured activities are also provided to help you create a plan for teaching phonics in your own classroom.
Who should/should not attend? Any prerequisites, assumed/required knowledge:
This workshop is designed to give teachers confidence in knowing (1) what phonics knowledge children need for reading and spelling, and (2) how to help children acquire that knowledge. No special prior knowledge is assumed. We will cover important concepts (e.g., what sounds do the letters correspond to, which ones to teach, what sequence to teach them in, what is phonemic awareness) and the research behind these concepts.
If you’re interested in this workshop, sign up to receive a notification from us. We’ll let you know more details of the workshop content and how you can access it when it becomes available.