How to teach multi-morphemic and multi-syllabic word reading and spelling
Guest Presenter: Dr Karen Smith-Lock (Curtin University, Perth)
Time: 9.00am - 4.00pm
Date: June 2019 (exact date TBA)
Location: MGSM Macquarie Park Executive Centre
Cost: $500 per person (10% discount for enrolment in two workshops)
Catering: Morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea will be provided
Course materials: A course workbook including all materials will be provided on the day.
Description of workshop:
This workshop will present evidence based techniques to teach the reading and spelling of multisyllabic words.
About the speaker:
Dr. Smith-Lock is a speech pathologist, linguist and psychologist. She is an Associate Investigator with the ARC Centre of Excellence in Cognition and its Disorders, an Adjunct Research Fellow in the Department of Psychology and Speech Pathology at Curtin University, and Director of KSL Language & Literacy, which provides clinical services to children with oral language and literacy difficulties. Dr. Smith-Lock has extensive experience working with school-aged children with language and literacy needs both in schools and in private practice. She regularly provides professional development workshops to teachers and speech pathologists on teaching practices for oral language and literacy. Her research focuses on the acquisition of oral language, reading and spelling, and their disorders. She aims to understand the nature of specific language impairment and dyslexia, to establish an evidence base for their effective treatment, and to support the use of evidence-based practice in everyday practice.
About the workshop:
This workshop will have three parts:
Part one will discuss two key components of multisyllabic words: syllable division and morphological analysis. Participants will have opportunities for hands-on practice in syllable division and morphological analysis to foster a solid understanding of how the English orthographic system works.
Part Two will discuss how to teach this knowledge to promote accurate and automatic decoding and spelling of multisyllabic words.
Part three will discuss the importance of linking this knowledge to text comprehension and written expression, and how to explicitly make this link.
- To understand the importance of accurate and automatic word decoding and spelling for reading comprehension and written expression
- To understand and apply the rules of syllable division
- To understand and apply the morphological analysis of words
- To understand teaching techniques for syllable division and morphological analysis
- To understand teaching techniques for connecting word study to text comprehension and written expression
Who should/should not attend? Any prerequisites, assumed/required knowledge:
Attendees can be anyone involved in the teaching of reading or spelling, including primary and secondary school teachers, school administrators, speech pathologists and students currently studying these degrees.
MGSM's Macquarie Park Executive Centre is just 15kms from Sydney's CBD and is easily accessible by car and public transport. Secure on-site parking available free of charge for attendees.
By car: The Macquarie Park Executive Centre is an easy, 20 minute drive from Sydney's CBD and approximately a 35-minute drive from Sydney's Domestic and International Airport. On-site parking is free of charge for MGSM Executive Accommodation and conference centre guests (conditions apply).
By train: From 30 September this year, trains into and out of Macquarie University, Macquarie Park and North Ryde stations will be replaced by Station Link bus services.You can now plan your trip at transportnsw.info for when the Epping to Chatswood train line will be unavailable due to upgrade works, before Sydney Metro Northwest opens in the second quarter of 2019.
By bus: Buses arrive and depart just a few minutes' walk from the Macquarie Park Executive Centre and travel to and from many Sydney Metropolitan areas, including the City, Hills District, North Shore, Chatswood, Manly, the Ryde and Carlingford areas, and the Western Suburbs.
More details on how to get there: https://www.executivecentres.mgsm.edu.au/macquarie-park/location
1. If a registrant cancels before the registration deadline of 1 week before the workshop, 80% of the fee will be refunded. The remaining 20% will be kept as an administration fee.
2. No refund is available after the registration deadline. However, another person may attend in your absence. At the discretion of the Macquarie University Reading Clinic, an 80% refund may be offered on production of a medical certificate.
Registration deadline: 1 week before workshop.
Enrol in two workshops and receive 10% off the total price! Attendees must enrol in two workshops at the same time for the discount to be applied.
Current MQ staff and full time MQ students are eligible for a discount. The MQ staff and student discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other discount.