Cool Kids Online
Cool Kids Online is based on the Cool Kids face-to-face program which has been running at Macquarie University since 1993. The Cool Kids program is a structured, skills-based program that teaches children (aged 7–12) and their parents how to better manage anxiety. Results show most young people who complete our program experience significant improvements, with decreases in worry, fear, family distress and life interference.
Who is Cool Kids Online for?
Cool Kids Online is suitable for a child if:
- they are 7 to 12 years old (grade 2-6), (for 13-17 years old view our teen program Chilled Out )
- anxiety is the main problem causing the child difficulty,
- anxiety is affecting his or her day-to-day life,
- their parent can read and write in English (e.g. read a magazine or newspaper and complete written forms), and
- they reside in Australia.
What does Cool Kids Online involve?
Cool Kids Online consists of 8 online lessons for parents and children to complete together over 10 weeks. Topics covered in the program include:
- Learning about feelings and anxiety
- Fighting fear by facing fear (stepladders)
- Detective thinking, and learning to think more realistically
- Building assertiveness and dealing with teasing
- Helpful ways of coping when upset
Parents also receive four telephone sessions with an experienced psychologist during the program. These sessions enable parents to ask questions about program content and applying the Cool Kids skills to their child’s fears and worries. The sessions also guide parents on how to overcome problems encountered using the skills.
Stages of Cool Kids Online
- Initial assessment – online questionnaires completed by child and parent to determine whether Cool Kids Online is likely to be suitable and beneficial for the child’s needs. Includes a telephone debrief with a psychologist.
- Treatment program – 8 x online lessons accompanied by 4 x 30 minute telephone sessions with a psychologist.
- End of treatment assessment – online questionnaires completed by child and parent to provide feedback on child’s progress and any additional recommendations as required. Includes a brief written progress report.
|End of treatment assessment||No fee|
How can I participate?
If you would like your child assessed for Cool Kids Online please complete the online registration form. We will then contact you to set up the initial assessment. You can access the registration form here.
How can I find more information?
More information is available in the Cool Kids Online program flyer PDF, 262.37 KB and a comparison of Cool Kids Online vs Chilled Out PDF, 283.9 KB is also available. If you have further questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 02 9850 8711 (business hours 9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday, AEST).