Chilled Out Online
About Chilled Out
This engaging, interactive online program for 13 – 17 year olds allows teens to learn strategies to help manage anxiety. Chilled Out is based on the Chilled (Cool Kids for teens) face-to-face program which has been running at Macquarie University since 1993. The Chilled program is a structured, skills-based program that teaches teens how to better manage anxiety. Results show most young people who complete our program experience significant improvements, with decreases in worry, fear, family distress and life interference.
Who is Chilled Out for?
Chilled Out is suitable for a teen if:
- they are 13 to 17 years old (grade 7-12), (for children 7-12 years old, view Cool Kids Online)
- anxiety is the main problem causing the teen difficulty,
- anxiety is affecting his or her day-to-day life, and
- the teen can read and write in English (e.g. read a magazine or newspaper and complete written forms).
- they reside in Australia.
What does Chilled Out Involve?
Chilled Out consists of 8 online lessons for teens to complete independently over 10 weeks. Topics covered in the program include:
- Learning about feelings and anxiety
- Building confidence and independence
- Learning to think realistically
- Developing assertiveness and problem solving skills
- Helpful ways of coping when upset
Parents take the role of their teen’s mentor, and are provided with a downloadable Mentor Workbook that provides tips on how to support their child to use the Chilled Out skills and useful ways to respond to their child’s anxiety.
Families also receive four telephone sessions with an experienced psychologist during the program. These sessions enable teens and parents to ask questions about program content and applying Chilled Out skills to fears and worries. The sessions also guide families on how to overcome problems encountered using the skills.
Stages of Chilled Out
- Initial Assessment – online questionnaires completed by teen and parent to determine whether Chilled Out is likely to be suitable and beneficial for the teen’s needs. Includes a telephone debrief with a psychologist.
- Treatment Program – 8 x online lessons accompanied by 4 x 30 minute telephone sessions with a psychologist.
- End of Treatment Assessment – online questionnaires completed by teen and parent/s to provide feedback on teen’s progress and any additional recommendations as required. Includes a brief written progress report.
|End of treatment assessment||No fee|
How can I participate?
If you would like your teen assessed for Chilled Out please complete the online registration form. We will then contact you to set up the initial assessment. You can access the registration form here.
How can I find more information?
If you have further questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 02 9850 8711 (business hours 9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday, AEST).
Content owner: Centre for Emotional Health Last updated: 05 Sep 2019 2:45pm