The price of treatment at the Clinic depends on a number of factors, including:
- Which treatment program you undertake. For example, many of our research programs are subsidised by research grants reducing the fee you pay.
- Whether treatment is delivered in a group or individual format.
- The experience of the treating clinician.
- Rebates from Medicare and private insurance.
Research-based therapy/program fees
Fees will vary from program to program and are determined by the level of subsidy provided by the research grant. Details about research program costs are discussed during the registration process and are sometimes outlined in the program flyer.
Individual therapy fees
Fees vary according to the qualification level of psychologists and with the length of the session. Standard sessions are for 50 minutes in duration. Extended sessions are charged a pro-rata rate based on the standard session rate. Extended sessions may be recommended during treatment to allow sufficient time to apply new skills with the support of a therapist. Home and school visits, and sessions held outside of the clinic have a different cost structure. More information will be provided if this service is required.
Summary of fees at January 2018 (fees are subject to change)
$220 - $250
^A rebate is claimable if a valid GP Mental Health Care Plan or Paediatrician/Psychiatrist referral has been obtained up to a limit of 10 sessions in each calendar year. A child must be present at the session for the session to be claimable.
Medicare provides rebates to assist with the costs of accessing psychological treatment through the Better Access initiative. Eligible individuals may receive a rebate toward treatment costs for a maximum of 10 sessions in a calendar year. After your sixth session, you must return to your referrer, who will approve the continuation of sessions.
To be eligible for a Medicare rebate towards psychology services:
- If you see a GP, they must first activate a Mental Health Treatment Plan, then create a referral letter.
- 2.If you see a paediatrician or psychiatrist, they may make a direct referral. The referral letter must include their request for you to access psychological treatment, be dated before your first session, be made out in the name of the attending client, outline the number of sessions approved and include the provider details. It should be made out to the Centre for Emotional Health Clinic if the request is not for a specific psychologist.
Private health insurance
You may be able to claim a rebate for psychology services using your private health fund. However, you cannot claim a rebate from both Medicare and a private health fund for the same session. Contact your health fund about whether you are eligible to claim on psychology services.
Paying for your session
Full payment must be made prior to beginning each session. If you have a valid Mental Health Treatment Plan or referral, you will be given a receipt to take to Medicare for claiming.
We accept payment via Visa, Mastercard, EFTPOS and cheque. Cheque payments must be made out to “Access Macquarie Ltd”. Please note that cash is not accepted.
If you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, you must advise us no later than 11am on the previous business day. For example, if you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment set for 10am on Monday you must contact us no later than 11am on Friday. A cancellation fee of 100% of the session cost will be charged for appointments cancelled or rescheduled after the 11am cut-off.