Junior Science Academy
Junior Science Academy
Blast off into the world of science in a fun, safe environment.
Is your child ready to experiment, ask questions, wonder, investigate and - maybe - get a little messy? They'll do all this and more as they explore science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) concepts through fun, hands-on activities. At the Macquarie Junior Science Academy, primary-school age children can explore the world in a new light through engaging and interactive experiences. Think space, dinosaurs, explosions, medicine, rocks and much more!
Developed by experts and delivered by experienced educators, the program is aligned with the NSW Science and Technology Syllabus and the Australian Curriculum. Classes are relevant and age-appropriate with new courses released each program.
Phone: 02 9850 1118
Mobile: 0448 172 163
Social: Follow us on Facebook and Instagram - @JuniorScienceAcademy
Please note that our Coordinators work Tuesday to Friday during the school term and will endeavour to respond to your enquiries within 24hrs on these days and ASAP on other days. Email is our preferred contact method.
Special Opportunity with MQ's Widening Participation Unit
Macquarie University's Widening Participation Unit is working in collaboration with community service providers and LEAP partner schools, to offer students who experience educational disadvantage the opportunity to participate free of charge in a Junior Science Academy school holiday class.
A limited number of placements, and only one workshop per student, is available via Widening Participation during school holiday sessions in 2021; for courses delivered at Macquarie University campus and Terrigal, Central Coast.
Lunch will also be provided to participants at no charge.
Please be aware that these free tickets are only available to eligible families (NOTE: Eligible families are those whose children are experiencing educational disadvantage, as measured by government financial measures).
Hearing Hub JSA for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Kids
The Australian Hearing Hub and Campus Life are offering an accessible Junior Science Academy for children who have experienced hearing loss.
The next program will run 6th (Y1-3) and 7th (Y4-6) July 2021.
Limited places will be available to eligible students.
Classes will be held at the Australian Hearing Hub at 16 University Avenue, Macquarie University.
Daily Schedule (MQ)
- Lessons will run between 9.30am - 4.30pm.
- Supervision is provided 1 hour before and after class. Parents can drop off children between 8:30am-9:30am and pick up between 4:30pm-5:30pm (* Note alternative timing for Central Coast)
- Please note for younger age groups (K-1), classes finish at 4.00pm and children can be picked up anytime between 4.00pm - 5:30pm.
- A lunch break of 45 minutes will take place between 12pm - 2pm. Please pack lunch for your child or place a Lunch Order (see more information in tab below). Children will also be given a short morning and afternoon tea break at an appropriate time (please note: children need to provide their own snacks for breaks).
*Alternate timing for Central Coast Marine Discovery Centre, Terrigal
- Supervision from 7.30am until lessons commence, and until 6pm after lessons finish.
- All other schedules as above
Location & Parking
Program Location Macquarie University:
- April holiday classes will be held at 13 Hadenfeld Avenue, Macquarie Park, NSW, 2113.
- Easiest access is via Balaklava Rd, and then first left onto Hadenfeld.
Parking at Macquarie University:
- Free temporary parking will be available in designated areas for Drop off and Pickup of children only.
- Free 30 minute parking will be available in signposted areas in the western end of the West 4 Carpark. Please park only in these locations to take advantage of the free parking.
- The designated spaces are only free for the drop-off (8.30am-10am) and pick-up (4pm- 5.30pm) periods. No ticket display is required during these times when parking in the designated area. Free parking is not provided for full day parking.
Program Location Central Coast:
- Our Central Coast program will be operating out of the Central Coast Marine Discovery Centre (CCMDC), Terrigal.
- The CCMDC is located at 11 Terrigal Drive, Terrigal - in Rotary Park/ Parklife next to Terrigal Lagoon and directly opposite Terrigal Pacific Motel https://g.page/CCMarineDiscovery?share
- Parking is available out the front of the Centre.
Cost of Junior Science Academy
Price in 2021 - $130 per day
- Please note the Junior Science Academy is not registered for the Child Care Subsidy and no rebates are available
- Creative Kids Vouchers are only accepted for select classes due to Service NSW criteria. Eligible classes are indicated on the timetable, class descriptions and booking page. Eligible Creative Kids classes are those with a theme of Robotics, Coding or Architecture. Please see the Creative Kids Tab below for more information.
What to bring
- Lunch, morning tea and afternoon tea
- Water bottle and hat.
- Children are to wear comfortable clothes with closed in shoes. Please note that enclosed shoes are mandatory for safety reasons.
- Please apply sunscreen to children prior to arrival for their protection during outdoor play. Children will be asked to wear a hat when outdoors.
Creative Kids Vouchers
The Junior Science Academy is a registered Creative Kids Provider. Creative Kids Vouchers can be used on selected classes, as indicated on the timetable, class descriptions and booking page. With the expansion of our RoboCamp classes, there are now even more Creative Kids eligible classes!
Every year, the NSW government will issue a $100 voucher per child for parents to use on approved activities for their children. To receive your voucher, visit this website to apply: https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-creative-kids-voucher
We have a range of classes that have been approved by Service NSW as eligible for Creative Kids Vouchers and we are working on developing more! Please be aware that not all of our classes are eligible for the voucher, only those specifically indicated on the timetable, class description or booking page. Eligible classes fit with a theme of Robotics, Coding or Architecture.
How to redeem your Creative Kids Voucher when booking an eligible class:
1. Apply for a Creative Kids voucher through Service NSW.
2. Select a Creative Kids eligible class through our booking link.
3. Pay the full amount payable.
4. Send a copy of your Creative Kids voucher number and child's name and birthdate to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the adult booking name. Once verified by our team, you will receive a $100 refund to the account the booking was made with.
PLEASE NOTE: Vouchers will be processed in bulk on designated dates:
- 12th March
- 26th March
- 21st April
** Please ensure you have provided the correct birthdate of your child in the booking form to ensure we can redeem the voucher.
- You will only receive one Creative Kids Voucher valued at $100 for each child, per year. This means that you can only use a Creative Kids Voucher code once a year for each child.
- All cancellations are subject to our Cancellation Policy. Please see this below. Wherever possible we will assist in transferring your booking to another class in the same school holiday period, however this is subject to availability and whether the voucher may be used for that class.
Once Bookings are open, they fill up fast. If the class you would like is full, we can add you to our waiting list.
To be put on the waiting list please email email@example.com with:
- Adult Name
- Class name and date you are interested in.
We will add you to the waiting list and contact you if a place becomes available.
Lunch Orders will be available for JSA holiday programs!
Lunch orders must be placed by 10am two business in advance of the day your child is attending program.
Any changes or cancellations must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org three business days prior to the date the order is required.
Lunch includes a sandwich, one snack and a drink. Selections can be made on the booking page. Gluten and dairy free choices are available. Food is delivered to classrooms around 11am. Educators will store it safely and give it to children at lunch time.
Please note that sometimes children will have a morning tea break prior to lunch orders arriving. Children are also given a short break for afternoon tea. If you would like your child to have both a morning and afternoon snack, we recommend packing one snack for them.
April Holiday Program ... Bookings Open!
6th April - 16th April 2021 (MQ Program)
7th - 15th April 2021 (Central Coast Program)
Please click the links below to view the April timetable and class description, note separate timetables for the 2 locations.
Click Links below to purchase tickets:
Email us at email@example.com if you would like to go on our Mailing List to receive an email reminder when bookings go live.
For more regular updates on program development, follow @JuniorScienceAcademy on Facebook or Instagram.
Please be aware that classes fill quickly once bookings open. If the class you want is full, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to go on a waitlist.
Please see the expandable tabs above for more information on location, pricing, daily schedule, what to bring, Creative Kids vouchers, refunds and cancellation policy, waiting lists, lunch orders, and our Child Safe Commitment Statement.
Please see our COVID-19 Statement above for more information on our COVIDSafe practices.
Refunds and Cancellations
COVID SAFE REFUND POLICY APPLIES FOR APRIL 2021
Please note, there are new updates to our Refund Policy to support COVIDSafe practices. See details below in Covid Safe Refund Policy and Regular Refund Policy.
As detailed in our COVID-19 Statement children should not attend Junior Science Academy if:
- They are unwell, including those with fever (37.5o or higher), loss of taste, loss of smell, shortness of breath, cough, sore throat, or other symptoms of respiratory infection
- They, or their immediate family, have been to a location identified by NSW Health and are required to self-isolate
- They have had a COVID-19 test and are awaiting the results
- They, or their immediate family, have tested positive for COVID-19 and are required to self-isolate
- They are a close contact of a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 14 days
Staff will ask parents to immediately collect children who appear unwell while attending Junior Science Academy.
Should parents or carers need to cancel a Junior Science Academy class due to COVID-type symptoms or other points as listed above, you can choose between either receiving a refund based on our COVID Safe Refund Policy or receiving a gift certificate for another class which may be booked during any school holiday period in 2021.
Should the University need to cancel Junior Science Academy classes for children in the upcoming school holidays, a full refund will be provided.
Covid Safe Refund Policy:
To support COVID Safe practices, full refunds will be provided for cancellations due to COVID related illness or concerns, or where medical certificates or COVID test results are provided. To receive this refund, written notice of cancellation must be provided by email to email@example.com by 7am on the day of the class. Where this is not possible, gift certificates will be issued. Any cancellations after 7am on the day of the class are not eligible for a refund. Cancellations for non-COVID related reasons will revert to the Regular Refund Policy.
Regular Refund Policy: our standard refund policy applies when the Covid Safe Refund Policy is not applicable.
50% refund of the ticket price is payable for cancellation by the Parent/Guardian if more than 24 hours notice is provided (i.e. before 9:30am the prior working day). Alternatively and subject to availability, the student may transfer to a different class during the same holiday period at either the Junior Science Academy or Robocamps.
No refunds are payable for cancellation by the Parent/Guardian if less than 24 hours notice (i.e. from 9:30am the prior working day) is provided.
JSA COVID-19 Statement
Macquarie University is committed to the welfare of children and staff in its care.
Children who are unwell, including those with fever (37.5oC or higher), loss of taste, loss of smell, shortness of breath, cough, sore throat, or other symptoms of respiratory infection, should not attend Junior Science Academy. Staff will ask parents to immediately collect children who appear unwell while attending Junior Science Academy. Please see our updated refund policy, to avoid sending your child if unwell.
Staff and Teachers are also advised to follow these precautions. The Junior Science Academy will be incorporating additional precautionary measures in our sign in/out process and throughout the day, to ensure the health and hygiene of staff and students.
The University remains open and operating as usual, albeit with heightened awareness for the need for precautionary hygiene measures.
We will continue to monitor the advice from both the Federal Government and NSW Health and will provide updates as necessary.
Please read our COVID-19 Statement for additional advice and information. The information in the Statement addresses concerns and questions you may have regarding Junior Science Academy and COVID-19.
Please contact us if you have further questions or concerns.
Child Safe Commitment Statement
Campus Life is committed to the safety, well-being and empowerment of all children and young people engaging in our programs and to protect them from foreseeable harm.
Campus Life treats all allegations and complaints about the safety and wellbeing of children seriously and is committed to ensuring that its staff, volunteers and contractors understand the legal obligations to report child abuse and neglect to government authorities. Every Campus Life employee has a responsibility to understand the important and specific role he/she plays, individually and collectively, to ensure that the well-being and safety of all children and young people is at the forefront of all they do.
Photo Identification on pick up - One of the practical aspects of our Child Safe Commitment is our requirement to see Photo Identification of the person picking up the child for the day. The name on the identification must match the name we have been provided on the booking form as a parent/guardian or authorised person to pick up. Please understand that for the safety of your child we cannot let you pick up a child without evidence of identity.