M-Power: Say no to disposable cups
I’ll say no to disposable cups and use my own reusable cup instead
Do good for you, for others, and for the planet by using a reusable cup on campus and beyond. Macquarie University goes through approximately 30,000 disposable cups per week! Help us fight the war on waste by bringing your own reusable coffee cup. It’s easy! Get into the Mug Life and B.Y.O.C. (that stands for Bring Your Own Cup). You just might win some Cupcakes*!
Save some money
Many outlets on campus offer a 30c discount for people who bring their own cups. If you BYOC for 2 weeks you save approximately $3 dollars* Ask your favourite café if they offer a reusable mug discount and start saving.
*based on drinking 1 cup of coffee 5 days per week.
Washing stations on campus
There are multiple stations for you to wash/rinse your cups on campus? Find them in MUSE and in the Atrium!
What happens to disposable coffee cup waste?
Despite popular belief, coffee cups are not recyclable. Crazy right? They look and feel like cardboard! But they have a thin plastic lining to contain the hot beverage, and this plastic will outlive you and me. Even coffee cups marked as biodegradable or compostable often end up in landfill because they need commercial-level composting that is often not available or sorted for.
Disposable coffee cups from Macquarie University waste turned into Processed Engineered Fuel
In Macquarie University’s one-bin system, about 93% of our waste is diverted from landfill. Clean paper and cardboard gets 100% recycled into new paper and cardboard products. However, due to the plastic lining, coffee cups (along with some other combustible waste items) are turned into Processed Engineered Fuel (PEF) which makes up approximately 33% of our total waste. PEF is used as fuel in lieu of burning fossil fuels. “Whilst this is a good outcome in terms of reducing waste to landfill, it’s better to avoid the waste in the first place” says Leanne Denby, Directory of Sustainability. “The message is definitely to bring your own cup.”
Help us fight the war on waste by bringing your own reusable coffee cup. It’s easy! Get into the Mug Life and B.Y.O.C. (that stands for Bring Your Own Cup). Join the movement by pledging to say no to disposable cups and using your own reusable cup instead:
Oh, and WIN CUPCAKES EVERY WEEK! Get social and share a picture of you with your reusable mug and the hashtags #MyMQ #MugLife and go in the draw to win a pack of 12 cupcakes from a local boutique dessert-making business (vegan available) every week during Semester 2!*
Terms and conditions
- Entrants must be a Macquarie University staff or student
- Entrants must upload a photo of that includes themselves holding a re-usable mug to social media (Facebook or Instagram) with the hashtags #MyMQ and #MugLife.
- Entrants must have the permission of everyone in the photo for the photo to be shared publicly and to be used in Macquarie University reporting and promotional material if it is the winning photo.
- Entrants must have uploaded their picture before 11.59pm on Friday of each of the 9 competition weeks:
- Week 2 of Semester: 11.59pm on Friday 11 August, 2017.
- Week 3 of Semester: 11.59pm on Friday 18 August, 2017.
- Week 4 of Semester: 11.59pm on Friday 25 August, 2017.
- Week 5 of Semester: 11.59pm on Friday 1 September, 2017.
- Week 7 of Semester: 11.59pm on Friday 29 September, 2017.
- Week 8 of Semester: 11.59pm on Friday 6 October, 2017.
- Week 9 of Semester: 11.59pm on Friday 13 October, 2017.
- Week 10 of Semester: 11.59pm on Friday 20 October, 2017.
- Week 11 of Semester: 11.59pm on Friday 27 October, 2017.
- Review the full terms and conditions
Content owner: Office of the Vice Chancellor Last updated: 31 Oct 2019 4:20pm