PACE (Professional and Community Engagement) is a University-wide initiative which provides undergraduate students with experiential learning opportunities with local, regional and international partners.
PACE gives students the chance to engage with organisations and learn through participation. By completing a PACE unit Macquarie students:
- contribute to partner organisational goals
- develop employability skills
- gain academic credit towards their degree.
In addition to undergraduate PACE units, the initiative also incorporates:
- pedagogical research and development
- collaborative research ventures with partners
- extra-curricular, volunteer experiences for students in international settings.
PACE underpins the University's culture of transformative learning. PACE is a core strategy aimed at improving the employability of Macquarie graduates.
PACE enduring goals
- Enhanced employability and active citizenship of students
- Enhanced engagement and capacity of partner organisations
- Social impact and innovation through collaborative research and curriculum
Strategic intentions for 2017-2021
- Impact and experience - ensuring PACE is delivering the impact and experience for our students and partners that is expected
- Integration - working more collaboratively, and deepening engagement with, other parts of the University
- Quality assurance and enhancement - ensuring PACE units and activities are delivering the intended outcomes for students and partners (QA) and that we are focusing on continuous improvement across all PACE endeavours and operations
- Effective and efficient delivery - optimising available resources to enhance the operational model for the benefit of all stakeholder groups in the most efficient way possible
The PACE initiative is based on the following principles:
PACE will maintain the highest ethical standards, ensuring that respect for difference, proper processes of consultation and duty of care towards students, staff and partners are of central importance.
Partnership and reciprocity
PACE will form partnerships which are mutually beneficial and which foster mutual respect and joint ownership.
PACE will enter into partnerships and encourage activities which develop a sense of social responsibility among all stakeholders, thus enhancing the university's reputation as a socially engaged university.
PACE units and activities will be underpinned by academic rigour.
Recognition of and respect for diverse ways of doing, being and knowing
PACE will provide flexibility and choice in the selection, design, experience and assessment of activities for students, staff and partners.
Whole person learning
PACE units and activities will seek to engage students' intellectual, emotional and social capabilities.
Knowledge generation and dissemination
PACE will provide research opportunities for students, staff and partners. Results from the research will be disseminated both within Macquarie and shared with the wider community.
PACE will provide open access to information and decision making processes for students, staff and partners.
Equity of access to resources
PACE will provide opportunities for all students to participate regardless of socio economic status, living circumstances, ethnicity, gender and capacity.
Content owner: Office of the Vice Chancellor Last updated: 31 Oct 2019 4:11pm