Diversity and inclusion
We embrace, enhance and celebrate diversity at all levels of the University and our community through the efforts of faculty, staff, students, the executive leadership and community partnerships. Macquarie University aspires to be a leader in promoting workplace equity, diversity and inclusion to reach the highest levels of excellence. We have a range of focus areas and programs and initiatives to engage, empower and support members of our community.
Take the Panel Pledge
Staff can support the University's progress towards equity, diversity and inclusion by signing the Macquarie University Panel Pledge.
Disability and accessibility
The University is committed to creating a workplace that is inclusive of people with disability or accessibility requirements.
Our vision is to create a sustainable change for gender equality and to see gender equity consistently reflected in the fabric of the University.
Sexual and gender diversity
We support sexual and gender diversity of our University community and build a safe and respectful work environment for all LGBTIQ employees.
As a truly global University community, we are proud of our cultural diversity. We are committed to ensuring it remains an integral part of our workforce by creating an inclusive culture for all.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
We value the vital, rich contributions of the Indigenous population. We strive to be an employer of choice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and to develop a culturally competent, cohesive workplace.
At Macquarie University we recognise the diversity of skills and experiences that each staff member brings to our organisation and value the contributions of all staff regardless of age.
Regional and remote students
- Macquarie University offers future students entry via alternative pathways including the Macquarie University Rural Bonus Scheme.
- Macquarie University's LEAP program comprises a variety of outreach initiatives that raise aspirations, create possibilities and actively support students from disadvantaged backgrounds to successfully participate in higher education.
- Macquarie University's Accommodation Service provides information about accommodation options both on and off campus.
- Macquarie Scholarships are equity-based and are awarded on the basis of financial need and/or other hardships including geographic disadvantage.
- Macquarie University's Centre for Open Education - Distance Education offers you the flexibility to study off campus for a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
- Attend orientation and meet a mentor via our Mentors@Macquarie program.
- Feeling like you don't belong? Join or set up a Student Group today.
- Have your say - find your representative from the Student Advisory Board (SAB).
- Visit Campus Life, Notices and Events, and Opportunities for information on different ways to get involved.
- Mentors@Macquarie program connects new students to a mentor during their transition into Macquarie University.
- Academic advisers can provide advice on your academic program.
- Health and Wellbeing Services provide help to the Macquarie University community through counselling, medical, disability and welfare services.
- Learning Skills offer workshops and online resources.
- Search the library of commonly asked student questions and answers or submit an online enquiry at ask.mq.edu.au, or ask the Student Connect.
- Student Admin can help with all your administrative questions.
Our programs and initiatives create opportunities to play a part in promoting equity, diversity and inclusion.
We partner with our staff, students, the executive leadership and community to embrace, enhance and celebrate diversity at all levels of the University.
Helping build an inclusive, safe and respectful University community for all LGBTIQ staff and students.
Providing training, support and resources to prevent and respond to violence against women.
Respect. Now. Always
Improving our capacity to prevent and respond to sexual violence incidents involving Macquarie students and staff.
Racism. It stops with me
Empowering our staff and students to be culturally aware and confident in addressing racism and racist behaviour.
Keep up with D&I
Interested in what Diversity and Inclusion work is happening around campus? Check it out here
Content owner: Office of the Vice Chancellor Last updated: 31 Oct 2019 3:45pm