Macquarie University Reconciliation Award
Macquarie University is committed to being a campus where Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is respected and celebrated, forming an integral part of our University’s learning, teaching, research and community engagement. Macquarie University acknowledges the value and wisdom of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians and recognises reconciliation is a mutual process that all staff and students can participate in, to ensure our campus is culturally inclusive and respectful.
Each year Macquarie University runs a Reconciliation Fundraiser event during National Reconciliation Week to celebrate and build on the respectful relationships shared by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and other Australians. It also raises funds for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander scholarships through an Aboriginal art auction and a market stall.
This year our annual Macquarie University Reconciliation Fundraiser will be partnering with Venture Café to expand our event to corporations and organisations within the Macquarie Park community. For the first time a Macquarie University Reconciliation Award will be presented to a nominated corporation or organisation to recognise their organisational initiatives and professional activities to achieve the vision and targets set out by Reconciliation Australia.
Nominations for the Macquarie University Reconciliation Award will be assessed based on written evidence that demonstrates outstanding achievement in one or more of the following areas:
- Demonstrated commitment to building and promoting reconciliation between Indigenous Australian and non-Indigenous Australians
- Demonstrated support of the national reconciliation movement through an updated and relevant Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP)
- Demonstrated efforts in employment opportunities for Indigenous people and cross-cultural understanding
- Demonstrated commitment of being an organisation where Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is respected and celebrated
- Demonstrated commitment of building meaningful, sustainable, reciprocal relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members
- Demonstrated outcomes of advancing reconciliation by developing respectful relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and communities
Corporations and organisations directly associated with Venture Café and/or Macquarie University are eligible to apply.
In 500 words or less submit a PDF document to email@example.com outlining how your chosen corporation or organisation meets one or more of the outlined criteria. Any additional evidence to support your nomination is encouraged but not essential.
Nominations open Monday 15 April and close Tuesday 7 May 2019. Award nominations should be submitted as a PDF form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Late nominations will not be considered.
Award finalists, nominators and unsuccessful nominees will be contacted prior to the event on 30 May.
Award finalists will be invited to attend the Macquarie University Reconciliation Fundraiser on 30 May at the Venture Café where the winner will be announced.
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact:
Team Leader Indigenous Strategy and Policy
Walanga Muru, DVC-A
9850 6794 or 0411735555
Terms and conditions
- This is a competition conducted by Walanga Muru, DVC-A at Macquarie University
- To enter you must be a corporation or organisation associated with Venture Café and/or Macquarie University
- The entries must meet at least one of the reconciliation criteria
- One entry per organisation is to be submitted to Alex Swain at email@example.com by Tuesday 7 May 2019
- Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these Terms and Conditions
- Participation in this competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions
- Copyright is retained by the author at all times. By entering this competition, all entrants grant permission for their submission to be published by Walanga Muru in print and online including the website and social media platforms
- The judging takes place at Walanga Muru within 12 days of the submission deadline. The winner will be announced on 30 May 2019 at the Macquarie University Reconciliation Fundraiser
- The judge’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into. Incomplete or indecipherable entries will be deemed invalid
- These Terms and Conditions are subject to change at any time without notice
Macquarie University Reconciliation Fundraiser
Information about the Macquarie University Reconciliation Fundraiser on 30 May 2019 can be found here.
The event is a great way to show your commitment to building an inclusive and respectful community that celebrates Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and communities. We look forward to seeing you there.