Undergraduate pathways into medicine
Our innovative and fast-tracked Bachelor of Clinical Science is designed to be the ideal preparation for the Macquarie MD and other graduate-entry medicine programs.
Choosing the Bachelor of Clinical Science as a pathway into the Macquarie MD has distinct benefits. For international students, a Bachelor of Clinical Science/Doctor of Medicine (Macquarie MD) program package is also available.
If you are a school leaver, you can study two programs – the Bachelor of Clinical Science followed by the Doctor of Medicine (Macquarie MD), offering a potential pathway into medicine within six years of full-time study.
Applicants will need to satisfy specific program entry and academic progress requirements to complete this program pathway. Please note that separate admissions criteria apply for each program.
Macquarie University program
Years of study (full time)
Bachelor of Clinical Science
Macquarie MD (Doctor of Medicine)
If both courses are studied (directly after each other)
The University offers two potential undergraduate pathways into medicine:
- an indirect pathway for domestic applicants
- a direct pathway for international applicants.
Domestic pathway into medicine for school leavers
Domestic school leavers seeking a potential pathway into medicine can apply for the Bachelor of Clinical Science through UAC and, following completion and attainment of minimum academic requirements, can then apply through GEMSAS for the Doctor of Medicine program, the Macquarie MD.
Separate admissions criteria apply for each program.
Domestic applicants entering this pathway will need to meet specific Macquarie MD admission requirements including GPA, GAMSAT, satisfactory personal statement and competitive performance in a Multiple Mini Interview (MMI).
For Bachelor of Clinical Science graduates who apply for the Macquarie MD, there are some advantages:
- The program includes preparation for medical admission tests.
- A three-per-cent bonus is automatically applied to applicants’ weighted GPA.
- 20 MMI places are reserved for Bachelor of Clinical Science graduates.
- Macquarie University Bachelor of Clinical Science graduate scholarships are available – up to five scholarships worth AU$30,000 for each year of the program.
International pathway into medicine for school leavers
The Bachelor of Clinical Science/Doctor of Medicine (Macquarie MD) is an innovative, combined program package for international high school graduates seeking a direct undergraduate pathway into medicine at Macquarie University.
International applicants can apply directly for the Bachelor of Clinical Science/Doctor of Medicine (Macquarie MD) program package. Online applications should be sent to International Admissions at Macquarie University. Applications open on 1 March 2020 and close 1 October 2020.
Please note that entry is competitive, and that this program package has a set quota for places.
Minimum entry requirements
- Secondary school results –competitive performance in final examinations. Minimum final examination mark needs to be equivalent to a 95.00 Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR).
- Satisfactory performance in an online Multiple Mini Interview – comprising 4 short interview stations, a maximum of 8 minutes each.
- IELTS – 7.0 overall; minimum 7.0 in each band, or equivalent.
- Assumed knowledge – prior secondary school learning in mathematics and chemistry. If this has not been completed, a bridging course must be taken at Macquarie University in February prior to commencement.
Automatic progression from the Bachelor of Clinical Science into the Macquarie MD, without the need for further admissions tests, is guaranteed for students who meet the following criteria:
- an international student with an unconditional place in the Bachelor of Clinical Science/Macquarie MD pathway
- completion of the Bachelor of Clinical Science, with a minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 70
- achievement of a minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 70 in the professional practice units in the Bachelor of Clinical Science.
International tuition fees
- Bachelor of Clinical Science – indicative annual fee AU$59,900 for this two-year program.
- Macquarie MD – indicative annual fee AU$74,000 for this four-year program (inclusive of flight and accommodation costs for clinical placements in Hyderabad, India, in Year 3)
The indicative annual fees are based on completing an accelerated study load in the Bachelor of Clinical Science and a standard full-time study load in the Macquarie MD. Fees listed above are indicative for 2020 and may increase each year. For programs longer than one year in duration, you will pay the fee that is current for the year that you enrol in the unit.
Content owner: Macquarie MD Last updated: 07 May 2020 7:58pm