Physics Bridging Course
2019 Physics Bridging Course
This bridging course prepares you for studies in physics, astronomy, engineering, medical sciences, and related disciplines. It provides learning support, a useful refresher and a solid foundation for your university studies in science.
If you have not completed physics to HSC level or equivalent, this course is recommended to give you background knowledge to support your studies in PHYS140/PHYS143 or PHYS106/107. It is also excellent preparation for PHYS149 and a foundation for the GAMSAT.
It covers the following topics:
- Waves: Sound, electromagnetic spectrum, orders of magnitude and scientific notation
- Matter and molecules: Thermal properties of matter, pressure in fluids and ideal gases
- Forces: Vectors, forces in equilibrium, dynamics and motion, Newton's laws, gravity, energy and power
- Electricity: Static electricity, electric circuits/fields/potential, magnetic fields and electromagnetic induction
- Atomic and nuclear physics: Electrons, nuclei, atomic structure, radioactive decay and nuclear energy.
Date and time
Dates: Monday 18th February - Friday 22nd February 2019
The 27-hour course will be run over 4½ days. It will run as a half day on Monday from 1PM - 4PM, then from 9AM-5PM on Tuesday to Friday. A detailed timetable can be seen below.
Theatrette 100, 14 Sir Christopher Ondaatje Avenue (Building E7B), Macquarie University
$250 (including electronic copy of study notes and GST)
Register here: https://mqphysbridging.eventbrite.com.au
Registration closes 12th February 2019 at 11PM
Some of the positive feedback we received from our 2018 students:
“Great course with great teachers, Dr Horvath was very clear and helpful” – Bachelor of Engineering (BE) Student
“The course was a good intro to physics and will be useful going forward in my course” – Bachelor of Clinical Science (BClinSci) Student
“Good refresher for my entry into 1st year physics.” – Bachelor of Science (BSci) Student
Vivienne Wong, Academic Administrator
T: (02) 9850 4166