Physics Bridging Course
2020 Physics Bridging Course
This bridging course prepares you for studies in physics, astronomy, engineering, medical sciences, and related disciplines. It provides learning support, a useful refresher and a solid foundation for your university studies in science*
If you have not completed physics to HSC level or equivalent, this course is recommended to give you background knowledge to support your studies in:
- PHYS1510 (PHYS140) / PHYS1520 (PHYS143) or PHYS1020 (PHYS106) / PHYS1010 (PHYS107)
- WPHY1510 (WPHY140) / WPHY1520 (WPHY143)
It is also excellent preparation for:
- PHYS1210 (PHYS149) and a foundation for the GAMSAT.
- Foundations for engineering units such as MECH1001, CIVL1001, ENGG1000, ENGG1050.
The course covers the following topics:
- Foundation for science: Units, scientific notation, orders of magnitude, accuracy and precision.
- Kinematics: Vectors, scalars, and properties of motion.
- Mechanics: Forces, equilibrium, dynamics, Newton's laws, gravity, momentum, energy and power.
- Waves: Sound and electromagnetic waves, wave propagation and wave properties.
- Properties of matter: Constituents of matter, thermal properties of matter, fluids and ideal gases.
- Electrostatics and magnetism: Electrical and magnetic phenomena, and electronic circuits.
- Atomic, quantum, and nuclear physics.
Date and time
Dates: Monday 3 February - Friday 7 February 2020
The 27-hour course will be run over 4½ days. It will run from 9am-5pm Monday to Thursday, and as a half day on Friday from 9am-12pm. A detailed timetable can be seen below.
|Mon 3 - Thu 6 February 2020||Fri 7 February 2020 only|
|10:30-11:00||Morning Tea (provided)||10:30-11:00||Morning Tea (provided)|
|12:30-1:30||Lunch (provided by student)|
|3:00-3:30||Afternoon tea (provided)|
Theatrette 102, 9 Wally's Walk, Macquarie University
$260 (including electronic copy of study notes and GST)
$280 (including printed copy of study notes and GST)
Register here: https://mqphysbridging2020.eventbrite.com.au
Registration closes 31 January 2020 at 4pm
Some of the positive feedback we received from our students:
“Great course with great teachers, Dr Horvath was very clear and helpful” – Bachelor of Engineering (BE) Student
“The course was a good intro to physics and will be useful going forward in my course” – Bachelor of Clinical Science (BClinSci) Student
“Good refresher for my entry into 1st year physics.” – Bachelor of Science (BSci) Student
Phil Dartnell, Academic Administrator
T: (02) 9850 4166
* Please note this course is designed to provide a general knowledge of introductory physics, however, it does not qualify as a prerequisite for entry into Macquarie University units.