Bridging Course Registration - Now Open
- Review Session in Basic Maths
- Review Session – Algebra Skills
- Preparatory Course in Mathematics
- Refresher Course in Statistics
Courses available through the Numeracy Centre
A variety of courses are run at the beginning of each semester to help students prepare for their studies. The cost of these courses varies depending on the length of the course. The books that we use for our bridging courses are available for purchase. You can purchase the books by dropping into the centre any day of the week during semester or completing the MUMS Order Form found on the Text for Bridging Course page . Alternatively you can download them yourselves for free by going to the Text For Bridging Course page of this website.
To enrol in the one day courses and for details about dates and times, please check the notice board outside the Numeracy Centre in 14 Sir Christopher Ondaatje Avenue (14SCOA) G.88 during the first week of the semester. Our Numeracy Centre Course Brochure lists the dates and times of all of our preparatory courses for the coming semester.
For further information, contact Carolyn Kennett or Dilshara Hill on 9850 8924. In fact, why not send an email now to email@example.com
Are you ready for your university courses? Are you worried about your maths skills? Feeling like you may need a refresher? See if you need a boost so that you start off on the right foot - click on the link above.
Our Review Sessions and Refresher Courses are short courses run at the start of each semester to refresh and revise material, and prepare students for their upcoming courses. Some courses may not be offered every semester so please check the Numeracy Centre Course Brochure linked to above, to see which courses are currently offered.
- Course Notes page of this site. This course is strongly recommended to students who are intending to enrol in first year statistics and are feeling hesitant about their mathematical ability. The cost is $20 and there is no need to book. This course is offered in March and August. For details, contact Carolyn Kennett or Dilshara Hill on 9850 8924
- This is a 6 hour course run across two days and reviews material covered in STAT170. It is designed to brush up a student’s knowledge of introductory statistics before they commence second year courses such as PSY248, BIOL235 and STAT270. Concepts covered include hypothesis testing, statistical tests from the mean and regression. This course is offered at the beginning of Session 1 and Session 2 and costs $50. Bookings can be made by emailing the Numeracy Centre. For details, contact Carolyn Kennett or Dilshara Hill on 9850 8924.
Preparatory Course in Mathematics:
This is an intensive course for students from various mathematical backgrounds who need to enrol in first year Mathematics courses or need a solid review of introductory mathematical concepts. There are two different streams available.
The Foundation Stream is for students who need an introduction to, or review of, algebra and function concepts. We strongly recommended this course for students who have done HSC General Mathematics or no mathematics and are intending to include mathematics units such as MATH123, MATH130 or economics units at 100 level in their programs of study. It also covers mathematical concepts that would be useful as preparation for statistics, chemistry and biology units. This course is designed so that students intending to study mathematics units do the full 10 day course ($300), while students studying units attend the first 5 days ($200) and statistics students attend the first 4 days ($170). This course is available as either a day or evening course. The text used in this course consists primarily of MUMS Modules 1, 2 and 3 which can be viewed on the Text for Bridging Courses page.
The Extension Stream is for students who have not studied Mathematics for some time and need to refresh their skills before commencing MATH135. It is also recommended as a bridge to HSC Mathematics Extension 1 for students who are using their HSC Mathematics results for entry into MATH135. This course is available as a day or evening course and the fee will be $300. The text used in this course consists primarily of MUMS Modules 3 and 4 which can be viewed on the Text for Bridging Courses page.
The Preparatory Course in Mathematics is held in February and also in July each year. The Bridging Course Brochure above lists the specific dates and times that this course is run. To enrol you will need to go to the Bridging Course Registration page For further information and enrolment enquiries, please contact Carolyn Kennett or Dilshara Hill on 9850 8924.
If you are unsure which course to undertake the "Are you Ready?" link above may help you with that decision. Alternatively please feel free to contact Carolyn or Dilshara for your enquiries.