Dr Karen Peebles
Dr Karen Peebles
Dr Karen Peebles, Lecturer
Phone: + 612 9850 2799 / Fax: +61 2 9850 6630
Location: Ground floor 75 Talavera Road
- New Zealand registered physiotherapist with over 20 years combined clinical and teaching experience, primarily in the area of cardiopulmonary physiotherapy.
- In vivo physiologist interested in respiratory and cardio/cerebro-vascular interactions in human models, with applications in health and disease.
- Research has been published in high impact international Physiology journals.
- Joined the physiotherapy staff at Macquarie University in January 2014.
- Previously postdoctoral fellow in the Departments of Surgery and Anaesthesia, and Physiology, at the University of Otago, NZ.
- Fellowship, funded by the NZ National Heart Foundation, broadly explored dynamic cerebral autoregulation and its impairment as a potential mechanism for stroke risk.
- Research interests include cardiorespiratory interactions, and consider mechanisms that regulate human cerebral blood flow in conditions of relevance to physiotherapy.
- Horsman, HM, Peebles, K.C. and Tzeng, YC (2015) Interactions between breathing rate and low-frequency fluctuations in blood pressure and cardiac intervals. Journal of Applied Physiology, 119, 793-798.
- Butlin, M., Hathway, P.J., Kouchaki, Z., Peebles, K., and Avolio, A.P. (2015) A simplified method for quantifying the subject-specific relationship between blood pressure and carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity. IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc , 5708-5711.
- Horsman, HM, Tzeng, YC, Galletly, DC and Peebles, KC. (2014) The repeated sit-stand manoeovre is a superior method for cardiac baroreflex assessment: a comparison with the modified Oxford method and the Valsalva manoeuvre. American Journal of Physiology – Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 307, R1345-1352.
- Burgess, KR, Lucas SJ, Shepherd, K, Dawson, A, Swart, M., Thomas, KN, Lucas, RA, Donnelly, PJ, Peebles, KC, Basnyat, R and Ainslie, PN. (2014) Influence of cerebral blood flow in central sleep apnea at high altitude. Sleep, 37, 1679-1687.
- Peebles, K.C., Horsman, H.M. and Tzeng, Y-C. (2013) The influence of tobacco smoking on the relationship between pressure and flow in the middle cerebral artery (PLOS ONE, 8: e7624).
- Horsman, H.M., Peebles, K.C., Gallety, D.M. and Tzeng, Y-C. (2013) Cardiac baroreflex gain is frequency dependent: insights from repeated sit-to-stand maneuvers and the modified Oxford Method. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 38, 753-759.
- Burgess K.R, Lucas S.J.E., Shepherd, K., Dawson, A., Swart, M., Thomas, K.N., Lucas, R.A.I., Donnelly, J., Peebles, K.C., Basnyat, R. and Ainslie, P.N. (2013) Worsening of central sleep apnoea at high altitude – a role for cerebrovascular function. Journal of Applied Physiology, 114, 1021-1028.
- Tzeng, Y-C., Ainslie, P.N., Cooke, W.H. Peebles, K.C., Willie, C.K., MacRae, B.A., Smirl, J.D., Horsman, H.M., Richards, C.A. (2012) Assessment of cerebral autoregulation; the quandary of quantification. American Journal of Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 303 (6) H658-H671.
- Peebles, K.C., Ball, O. G., MacRae, B.A., Horsman, H.M., Tzeng, Y-C. (2012) Sympathetic regulation of the human cerebrovascular response to carbon dioxide. Journal of Applied Physiology, Vol 113: 700-706.
- Fan J.J.,Burgess K.R, Thomas, K.N., Lucas S., Cotter J.D., Kayser, B., Peebles, K.C., Ainslie P.N. (2012) Effects of acetazolamide on cerebrovascular function and breathing stability at 5050 m. Journal of Physiology, 590: 1213-25.
- Fan J.J.,Burgess K.R, Thomas, K.N., Peebles K., Lucas S., Lucas R.A.I., Cotter J.D., Ainslie P.N. (2011). Influence of indomethacin on the ventilatory and cerebrovascular responsiveness to hypoxia. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 111: 601-10.
- Lucas S.J., Burgess K.R., Thomas, K.N., Donnelly, Peebles K., Lucas R.A.I., J., Fan J.J.,Cotter J.D., Basnyat R., Ainslie P.N. (2011) Alterations in cerebral blood flow and cerebrovascular reactivity during 14 days at 5050m. Journal of Physiology, 589: 741-53.
- Thomas K.N., Burgess, K.R., Basnyat R., Lucas S., Cotter J.D Fan J.J.,Peebles K., Lucas R.A.I., Ainslie P.N (2010). Initial orthostatic hypotension at high altitude. High Altitude Medicine and Biology, 11: 163-7.
- Fan, J.L., Burgess, K., Thomas, K.N., Peebles, K.C., Lucas, S.J., Lucas, R.A., Cotter J.D., Ainslie P.N. (2010).
- Influence of indomethacin on the ventilatory and cerebrovascular responsiveness to CO2 and breathing stability: the influence of PCO2 gradients. American Journal of Physiology. 298: R1648-58.
- Fan, JL, Burgess, KR, Basnyat, R, Thomas, KN, Peebles, K.C., Lucas, SJ, Lucas, RE, Donnelly, J, Cotter, JD and Ainslie, PN. (2010) Influence of high altitude on cerebrovascular and ventilatory responsiveness to CO2. Journal of Physiology, 588: 539-49.
- Burgess, KR, Fan, JL, Peebles, K, Thomas, K, Lucas, S, Dawson, A, Swart, M, Shepherd, K and Ainslie, P. (2010) Exacerbation of obstructive sleep apnea by oral indomethacin. Chest, 137: 707-10.
- Hale, LA, Nukada, H, DuPlessis, L.J. and Peebles, K.C. (2009) Clinical screening of autonomic dysfunction in multiple sclerosis. Physiotherapy Research International, 14: 42-55.
- Peebles K.C., Richards, A.M., Celi, L., McGrattan, K., Murrell, C. and Ainslie, P.N. (2008) Human cerebral arteriovenous vasoactive exchange during alterations in arterial blood gases. Journal of Applied Physiology, 105:1060-1068.
- Ainslie, PN, Celi, L. McGrattan, K, Peebles, K. and Ogoh, S. (2008) Dynamic cerebral autoregulation and baroreflex sensitivity during modest and severe step changes in arterial PCO2. Brain Research, 1230: 115-24.
- Ainslie, P.N., Ogoh, S., Burgess, K., Celi, L., McGrattan, K., Peebles, K. Murrell, C., Subedi, P. and Burgess, K. (2008) Differential effects of acute hypoxia and high altitude on cerebral blood flow velocity and dynamic cerebral autoregulaton: alterations with hyperoxia. Journal of Applied Physiology, 104: 490-98.
- Peebles, K. Celi, L. McGrattan, K., Murrell, C., Thomas, K. and Ainslie, P.N. (2007) Human cerebrovascular and ventilatory CO2 reactivity to end-tidal arterial and internal jugular vein PCO2. Journal of Physiology, 584: 347-57.
- Ainslie, P.N., Murrell, C. Peebles, K. Swart, M., Skinner, M.A. Williams, M.J. and Taylor, D.R. (2007) Early Morning impairment in cerebral auto regulation and cerebrovascular CO2 reactivity in healthy humans: relation to endothelial function. Experimental Physiology, 92: 769-77.
- Lorier, AR, Peebles, KC, Brosenitsch T, Robinson, DM, Housley, GD and Funk, G.D. (2004). P2 receptors modulate respiratory rhythm but do not contribute to central CO2 sensitivity in vitro. Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology, 142: 27-42
- Peebles K.C., Woodman-Aldridge, AD and Skinner, MA. (2003) The Physiological Cost Index in elderly subjects during treadmill and floor walking. The New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy, 31: 11-16.
- Robinson DM, Peebles K.C., Kwok H, Adams BM, Clarke, LL, Wollard GA and Funk GD (2002) Prenatal nicotine exposure increases apnoea and reduces nicotinic potentiation of hypoglossal inspiratory output in mice. Journal of Physiology, 538.3: 957-973.
- Robinson DM, Kwok H, Adams BM, Peebles K.C. and Funk GD (2000) Development of the ventilatory response to hypoxia in mice. Highlighted topics in Journal of Applied Physiology, 88: 1907-1914.
- Funk GD, Parkis MA, Selvaratum SR, Robinson DM, Miles GB and Peebles K.C. (2000) Synaptic control of motoneuron excitability in rodents from months to milliseconds. Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, 27: 120-125.
- Peebles, K.C. (1987) Treating the Non-European patient, The New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy, Dec: 11.