Workshop on Current Issues in Child Bilingual Development
Researchers are invited to submit 1-page abstracts for a workshop on Current Issues in Child Bilingual Development to be held at Macquarie University on 26-27 July 2018.
What: Current Issues in Child Bilingual Development
When: 26-27 July 2018
Where: Child Language Lab, Macquarie University, Sydney
More than half of children around the world grow up in bilingual environments. In English-speaking countries, including Australia, many children are Early Sequential Bilinguals (ESBs), who start learning their second language at preschool or school. Despite their increasing numbers, our knowledge of how ESBs acquire a second language (L2) is still very limited. This poses a challenge both for assessing school readiness, academic achievement, and for identifying those at risk for language disorders. A range of linguistic, developmental and environmental factors interact to determine how and when ESBs acquire knowledge of a L2, raising both theoretical and applied challenges for the field. Most ESBs eventually become competent in their L2. However, limited knowledge of what constitutes ‘typical’ ESB language development poses a significant challenge for identifying language delay.
This workshop brings together international leaders in the field of bilingual research to discuss current issues in bilingual language acquisition. It should be of interest to researchers, clinicians, educators, parents and the general public, with implications for all.
- Erika Hoff (Florida Atlantic University)
- Theo Marinis (University of Reading)
- Carmel O'Shannessy (Australian National University)
- Johanne Paradis (University of Alberta)
We invite submission of abstracts for talks and posters. Abstracts should include:
- Title, name, affiliation, email
- 1 page abstract plus a page of figures/references
- Indicate preference for talk, poster, or either
Please submit abstracts using the template provided on the workshop webpage and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 May 2018 – Deadline for abstract submission
1 June 2018 – Notification of acceptance
20 July 2018 – Registration deadline (Registration is free)
26-27 July 2018 – Workshop
- ARC Laureate Fellowship FL130100014 awarded to Distinguished Professor Katherine Demuth, and the Child Language Lab
- ARC Centre of Excellence in Cognition and its Disorders (CCD)
- Macquarie University Centre for Language Sciences (CLaS)