Admission to the Bachelor of Music at Macquarie University is granted through either UAC (using your ATAR), or direct entry (audition).
For admission via audition, you will need to:
- Submit an application form via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, providing your personal details, educational background, musical background, and a brief personal statement. If your application is successful, you will receive notification of your assigned audition date/time via return e-mail.
- Complete a 30 minute audition including musical playback/performance, a short written component, and an interview.
Each audition will take around 30 minutes and will consist of the following:
- A 10-minute performance/presentation consisting of 2 pieces of work. You should be prepared to perform 2 compositions OR play 2 recorded compositions/productions. These pieces of work should be 20th/21st century popular music.
Your performance/presentation should also include a brief oral introduction (no more than 2 minutes each) for each work. These should discuss the works' context and significance in relation to your own musical background and development.
- A 15-minute written component. You will be asked to respond, in writing, to supplied short question(s) provided on paper.
- A 5-minute interview.
Further information on the Audition process:
You will be required to bring the following:
- Your instrument (if required). A piano and a PA/mic will be available. If you require a drum kit or have other special requests, please indicate this on your application form. NB. Not all requests may be accommodated.
- An accompanist (if required)
- A recording of your backing track/s in USB/mp3 format, or on a portable music device with AUX output (if required)
- Your recorded compositions/production works in USB/mp3 format, or on a portable music device with AUX output (if required)
What we are looking for in the audition:
- Ability to communicate in various contexts (oral, musical, performance, written)
- Developing proficiency in selected instrument/s (including production, instrument, or voice)
- Ability to articulate musical and creative motivations
- Application forms: due by TBD
- Notification of audition date/time: TBD
- Audition dates: TBD – TBD, 10:00am – 4:00pm
Content owner: Department of Media, Music, Communication and Cultural Studies Last updated: 01 Apr 2019 12:38pm