Finance for Non-Finance Managers
Explore the essentials of accounting, finance and value creation
Managers who understand finance are able to engage more confidently with their accounting and finance colleagues, and contribute more effectively to collaborative decision making processes. They are also better qualified to progress to senior executive positions.
This is a hands-on course using real company data and Excel spreadsheets. Designed for professionals from non-finance backgrounds, this course will equip you with a practical understanding of accounting, finance and value creation.
Want to talk to someone or need a brochure? Get started!
Learn from industry experts
Gain a practical understanding of finance with clear, useful guidance
Confidently interpret finance information
|21 - 22 January||2 days||Sydney city campus (map)||$2,290 (incl. GST)||6||Register now|
|11 - 12 March||2 days||Sydney city campus (map)||$2,290 (incl. GST)||6||Register now|
|11 - 12 August||2 days||Sydney city campus (map)||$2,290 (incl. GST)||6||Register now|
You will learn to:
- Speak the language of accounting and finance
- Use finance concepts such as cost of capital, net present value and variable cost to assist in managerial decision making
- Understand the characteristics and limitations of economic success measures such as NPAT, EBIT, ROA and EVA
- Define the purpose of each financial statement
- Determine how business activities impact the financial statements, and use statements to identify performance questions
- Calculate profit, net assets and cash flow for a business
Who should attend
- Managers in any disciplinary background (outside of the finance function).
- Non-finance specialists, including lawyers, engineers, general managers, operations managers, project managers, IT managers, HR managers, business analysts, marketing and sales managers, company directors, entrepreneurs, NGO/NFP workers.
What you'll learn
Day 1: Key principles and financial statements
- Jargon busting.
- Foundational accounting principles.
- Understanding the financial statements and key links between them.
- Income statement in depth.
- Balance sheet in depth.
- Cash flow statement in depth.
- Case company and Excel exercises.
Day 2: Creating value in practice
- Financial ratios in context.
- Top 20 financial metrics.
- Unpacking raw metrics with the Du Pont identities.
- How value is created or destroyed.
- Role of financial leverage and capital structure.
- Cost of capital calculations (WACC).
- Connecting execution and strategy through the language of finance.
- Return on Invested Capital.
- Net Present Value.
Meet your facilitator
Find out more
P: +61 2 9850 9016
North Ryde campus
99 Talavera Road
Macquarie Park NSW 2113
Sydney city campus
Level 24, 123 Pitt Street
Sydney NSW 2000