Vice-Chancellor frames our future

vc_web-lead

Five years have passed since Vice-Chancellor Professor S Bruce Dowton joined Macquarie University as its fifth Vice-Chancellor and President. Last week he hosted a special event to reflect on his time, share the opportunities ahead of us, the development of our strategy, and plans for the campus and our community.

“As I begin my second term as Vice-Chancellor and President, I was pleased to start a series of events last week to refresh and update the University strategy, Our University: A Framing of Futures.

We have achieved so much over the last five years; some things that are remarkable for Australia and some things that are unique in Australia. In reflecting on these, I am deeply grateful to everyone in our community who has helped us come so far in so short a time.

On Tuesday night, I hosted a small event for University leaders and corporate partners in the newly refurbished MAZE space on Wally’s Walk, revisiting my previous conversation with Richard Morecroft about my personal experiences before and after joining the University in 2012.

On Wednesday afternoon, 500 staff attended a town hall gathering in the Graduations Hall where I explored the developments on our campus since the formulation of the strategic framework, and my vision for the next seven years.

Among the seven strategic priorities, two are fundamental to our purpose: learning and teaching, and research.

If we are truly to step out and be distinctive in Australian higher education, we must provide a student experience that lives up to the reputation we want for ourselves. Over the coming years, we will allocate resources to ensure that every student has a unique and outstanding experience at this University, that supports their learning and prepares them for life after graduation.

In research, we are an exceptional university with promising and accomplished staff and students, and much potential for the future. But, for our research renown, we should have two or three times the financial support we have now. We must become hungry for it, and go after it. I believe that we can discover great things and have a positive and profound impact on the world, as we have done before, and I will encourage the development of our capacity to fund and support that research through diversified income streams alongside improved government funding.

Over the coming weeks, I will visit each faculty to provide a deeper insight into my vision for our university and how it will come to life through the efforts of our staff and students.

I believe in the future of this University, and I look forward to continuing to work with you all over the next seven years. There is much work underway already, and much more still to be done. Let us continue.”

To view the presentation from the event click here.