Prestigious Earth Sciences medal for Macquarie researcher

scienceaward_feature

Research_SecurePlanet_RGB_250x90

One of the highest honours in Australia in the Earth Sciences, the Anton Hales Medal, has been awarded to our very own Associate Professor Juan Carlos Afonso for his distinguished research contributions to his field.

The early-career award is offered by the Australian Academy of Science to researchers who are within 10 years of completing their PhD and are Australian residents or have conducted most of their research in Australia. Juan, who originally hails from Argentina, received the award for his research exploring and improving our understanding of the internal constitution of the Earth and plate tectonics.

“When I found out I had been selected for the 2017 Anton Hales medal, two thoughts came immediately to my mind. First, I wanted to thank all the people that helped me during my career and therefore contributed to this achievement; this award is not only for me, but for all of them as well. Second, it made me reflect on my personal path to become a scientist and all the sacrifices I had to make. This sort of recognition makes it all worthwhile,” said Juan.

Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) Professor Sakkie Pretorius says that Juan’s research into the mechanical and geochemical interactions that affect tectonic processes is a powerful example of research with global impact.

“As a world-leading research-intensive university, we have a responsibility to produce knowledge and solutions that help communities remain resilient in the face of natural disasters and long-term hazards. Associate Professor Afonso’s research is a prime example of this, having aided our understanding of the nuances of Earth’s tectonics and increasing our insights into the internal constitution and dynamics of the Earth’s interior.”

The Anton Hales Medal honours the contributions of the late Professor Anton L Hales FAA to the Earth Sciences. Learn more.